advertisement

Michell Gyrodec SE on Ikea Kallax

hifienthusiast

Vintage by heart
I am planning to buy an Ikea Kallax shelve as a table for my Gyrodec SE table. The shelve is 39cm deep. Has anyone used this Kallax before for the Gyrodec SE turntable?

kallax-shelving-unit-with-underframe-oak-effect-black__1041374_pe840966_s5.jpg

kallax-shelving-unit-oak-effect__0341414_pe528095_s5.jpg

Seen these in IKEA, they looked flimsy (to me).

Looked up Gyrodeck dimensions , they're 38 cms deep so , only 5cms each end to play with. Not much room for error...dogs, cats, children, drunks...😢

The problem is, it will wobble all over the place.

Turntables should be on a flat, rigid surface. In my book, they should also be on something with as low a mass as possible, but that's a different thing.

If you own something as good as a Gyro, you should support it properly.

Had my Gyro SE on one for years. I use a thick perspex base with my Gyro and there is a little overhang at the back. Theres no way it is suitable on his own without a plinth in my opinion.

It was weighted by all the records underneath it.

Pro's

Cheap and effective solution for small spaces
It did its job, never had any disasters even with a kitten

Cons

Wobbles and forget about getting a record out underneath when playing one, the Gyro will do a dad dance when you do
If your floor isn't level, getting the Gyro levelled is a pain - I had to 'pack' the underneath of the Kallax out which will have added to its loss in stability

As you've posted, they now do a Kallax with an alloy base which may help stability, mine was just the cube frame. You could pin it to the wall with some alloy brackets either side, this could give it some lateral support to stop movement.

I've now changed to a specific Hifi rack, no difference in sound quality despite the claims from the manufacturer, but proper stability!

My SE is on an a Kallax - seems ok, however l have had to use some aftermarket isolation devices to bring the best out of it.

I would want to fix a board of some sort to the rear to strengthen the unit if I were to place a tt on top, and only then if I had no other place for the tt due to lack of space. A plinth of some sort would be mandatory also.

Will it work…. Yes. It does fit, not much spare space around it but it does fit.
If you anchor the kallax to the wall it would make it more stable.
But I do believe a dedicated shelf or a more sturdy rigid table would bring benefits that the gyro is worthy of having.

Mine sits on the previous version which looks almost the same. It's an 8 section unit though, on its side and fully loaded. It does fit. Sometimes I put an iso acoustics zen platform below decks but wouldn't swear it's always better.

@manicatel Fixing to the wall is a better idea than my board at the back of the unit. 😁
Yes it is, though a board is a good start. If you have neither a Kallax is rather wobbly. Also bear in mind that they are only stable one way up, if you lay them on their side they can easily parallelogram and collapse under the weight of records. You can of course fix this with a board or wall fixing, but without it you are courting disaster.

A Kallax on anything oter than a solid floor or fixed to a wall will be a bit wobbly for a suspended deck like a Gyro.

If you've spent that money on the Gyro you should be able to afford a half decent "proper" hifi stand though I can see it has uses for record storage and may fit in with decor.
I had the full Orbe which I considered not as nice to look at as the Gyrodec - I also had a Focus One in the deep past.

I have a couple of Atacama stands for my LP12, record collection and Naim NSC 222.

I'd go belt and braces.
When you construct it use some wood glue on the dowels.
Brace the back of the unit, after all you don't want your LPs or books pushing through.
Fix to the wall, I think I'd use some long battens vertically that way you'll have room to drop your tonearm cable and motor cable down the back.
I've only had one Kallax a few years back when I ran out of room for records on an existing piece of furniture from Next that was a similar style and design but had a back on it. I did use record players of various types on them including a Gyro SE , these were all loaded with records, no issues with wobble at all.

I did temporarily have my Orbe on Kallax, which is anchored to the rear wall.
It worked, it was safe & not wobbly. But I have bought a hifiracks dedicated wall shelf for it & I’m convinced it does now sound better, with a tighter, cleaner bass end in particular.
Is it possible I’m kidding myself, just to justify the expense of the shelf? Maybe, but I don’t think so.
To me it’s like saying I’ve got a Ferrari but just use cheap brand re-moulded tyres. Sure, they work, but are you really getting the best from it?
AFFEEFBF-1193-4D2D-B8BD-611DC7B5F860 by matt randall, on Flickr

Thanks for all the good advices. I have limited space for anything larger than Kallax. I need to talk to my wife about a proper hi fi table.

Thanks for all the good advices. I have limited space for anything larger than Kallax. I need to talk to my wife about a proper hi fi table.

If you ever find second hand Corras try them out, I have a pair I've been using for about 20 years as my rack. It was meant to be a temporary solution but I haven't found an affordable HiFi rack I like. I increased the storage capacity with two extra shelves that a local shop made for me , the Corras are not woobly at all, I've put tables that I think are heavier that the Gyro.

I had mine on Kallax for a while and as others have said it fits but footfall is a problem, if the floor’s at all springy. I’d go for a wall shelf just above the Kallax myself, should look pretty neat.

advertisement

Back