advertisement

Michell arm choices.

The Orbe is not really suitable for those who collect expensive records which need to be maintained in pristine condition since it often splits the centre label due to the clamp, and it isn't possible to use it without the clamp.

WTF are you doing with the clamp? It is meant to bring the record into close contact with the platter.. not to destroy it. I simply tighten the clamp until the obvious elasticity goes and some real resistance is felt. That's enough. And I've never split a record.. expensive or otherwise.
You haven't been using 'Linn Tight' have you? ;)

I think that what we will gain from this thread is that pretty much any decent arm will probably sound very decent on a Michell.
Haven’t seen many people say “ I tried arm X on a Michell & it was awful”.
Maybe due to Michells being bloomin’ good in the first place?

I've said more than once here, that in a conversation with the late John Michell.. I was told politely but firmly. 'You will hear your arm and cartridge combination.. nothing else.." Partly sales hype. but IME..only partly

Audiomods anyone?

I had a Classic on the Gyro SE with Orbe Platter wot I bought s/h. It had some niggling 'operational' issues but basically sounded excellent. When I upgraded my Gyro to an Orbe SE, the Audiomods chap (his name esapes me) sorted my Classic..which I sold on. I bought an Audiomods S5.. which is a huge step up.

I think that what we will gain from this thread is that pretty much any decent arm will probably sound very decent on a Michell.
Haven’t seen many people say “ I tried arm X on a Michell & it was awful”.
Maybe due to Michells being bloomin’ good in the first place?

Agreed it is a pretty good platform for many arms- even better if you mod the Granny out of her.:)

WTF are you doing with the clamp? It is meant to bring the record into close contact with the platter.. not to destroy it. I simply tighten the clamp until the obvious elasticity goes and some real resistance is felt. That's enough. And I've never split a record.. expensive or otherwise.
You haven't been using 'Linn Tight' have you? ;)

I'm doing with it exactly what you're supposed to do with it!

If you do it up very lightly a perfectly flat record will only be held in the middle with the majority of it completely unsupported.

Look at the design closely, the centre section sits proud of the rest of the platter and this isn't a design fault!

Agreed it is a pretty good platform for many arms- even better if you mod the Granny out of her.:)
My mind is blown now - isn't this the foundation of most criticism levelled at LP12 ownership?

I'm with you by the way, modifications can make great decks into world beaters!

Looking at Michell's website, it seems that Gyrodeck owners chances of 'modding the Granny' are limited to
adding the HR power supply, and buying a kit for a clamp. The Orbe platter kit is substantial I guess, but still,
I'm not sure this equals what Linn owners have had a choice of over the years?

Looking at Michell's website, it seems that Gyrodeck owners chances of 'modding the Granny' are limited to
adding the HR power supply, and buying a kit for a clamp. The Orbe platter kit is substantial I guess, but still,
Official Michell mods are one avenue. There are other 3rd party approaches, including completely changing the suspension turret system. This seems to get glowing reports by those that have had this done, but maybe this changes the basic principles of the deck to give an alternative solution, rather than the Michell way of max’ing out what it can do.
Maybe an equivalent would be those that choose to alter Naim amps with 3rd party components, taking it away from the Naim spec.
Better? Or just different maybe?
I guess any component which has been out for 30 years or more such as the LP12, Naim & Michell gear is open to people trying to tweak it.

No affiliation, my Gyro SE is stock with the HR PSU - made a noticeable difference especially to bass. I have used True Point for PT parts. Do a Google there are guys on AoS and other forums who have done mods. Denso Damp is popular.

This chap has been doing it a while
http://www.pedersensgyro.dk/Info-prices

https://solidairaudio.com/product-category/michell-turntable-upgrades/

http://www.true-point.audio/tpa_audio_Michel Suspension Units.htm

So it's the amount of upgrades that is the issue for some? This hobby is littered with odd opinions (I won't go as far as hypocrisy although others might).

You could argue that they got the basic design pretty much spot on from the start :)

Yep, pretty much, though the DC motor brought a notable improvement and the little suspension turret covers do ring.
Aye the motor/psu was a worthwhile change. You can pop the turrets off easy enough if you don’t mind the bare springs showing.

Aye the motor/psu was a worthwhile change. You can pop the turrets off easy enough if you don’t mind the bare springs showing.

That's exactly what did, it's a wonder there never has been replacements made in Acrylic, given Michell's use of Acrylic.
I see a fair few people using replacement rubber band type suspension too, although these were not available during the time I had a Gyro.

That's exactly what did, it's a wonder there never has been replacements made in Acrylic, given Michell's use of Acrylic.
I see a fair few people using replacement rubber band type suspension too, although these were not available during the time I had a Gyro.
Not had the inclination to mess with my deck too much but may try these turrets sometime.

I replaced all the springs last year when I gave the deck a full strip down/rebuild, not in a rush to change it as it’s sounding ace just now with the PU7/XX2 into a Luxman.

Not had the inclination to mess with my deck too much but may try these turrets sometime.

I replaced all the springs last year when I gave the deck a full strip down/rebuild, not in a rush to change it as it’s sounding ace just now with the PU7/XX2 into a Luxman.

Nice. Don't mess with a winning combination - I should take note of my own advice! I was so close to buying Seanm's Gyro recently, but had just forked out on my Acoustic Solid Wood so just couldn't justify three players.

Nice. Don't mess with a winning combination - I should take note of my own advice! I was so close to buying Seanm's Gyro recently, but had just forked out on my Acoustic Solid Wood so just couldn't justify three players.
Yeah you have to stop somewhere, a Gyro is a fine looking and sounding deck if the stars align in the future :)

From memory there was a write up in HiFi World mag some years ago, prob by D Price on the various upgrades you could do to a Gyro, can’t find a pdf online, anyone remember this or something similar, I might be mis remembering.

advertisement

Back