advertisement

Michel Petrucciani

kasperhauser

pfm Member
Just been listening to his trio live in Tokyo - anyone know anything about how his piano was set up? It sounds weird to me, like the action is so light, it almost comes across as a Fender Rhodes or something. I can't figure it out. Maybe it's a regular old piano, and it's all in the hands.

Good disc, by the way. Any other suggestions from among his work?

I've a few of his records, all of which are worth having. The best of these is Solo: Live on Dreyfus. Sheer virtuoso stuff with some exhillerating playing - gives me the same pleasure as listening to the early Joe Pass solo recordings. We're not talking Cecil Taylor here, but its is a fizzing version of the better Jarrett recordings with touches of Bud Powell thrown in. The other one I'd look out is Promenade With Duke, a record of Ellington tunes nicely played. Then there's an oddly mismatched trio with Jim Hall and Wayne Shorter "Power of Three" which has some fine moments.
I've heard a few tracks from his more fusion inspired sets for Blue tones which I don't much care for: all synths and noodling.

Kevin

Kasper

"I can't figure it out. Maybe it's a regular old piano, and it's all in the hands."

Unfortunately Mr Petrucciani is no longer with us, he passed away in New York on the 6th Jan 1999 at just 37 years old. He suffered from a rare disease called "Osteogenensis imperfecta" (its a bone disease that stunts the growth) so that could go someway to explaining the odd sounds he made at the piano.

More info here including album listing;-

www.allmusic.com

Good luck

Thanks guys. I knew he had some challenges - that's one reason I thought he might play a "prepared" piano with extra-light action or something. Whatever he was doing it was terrific music, not really like anything I've heard. It's very "honest" sounding, for lack of a better word.

I'll have to check out Bud Powell too.

i dont know what he played, but it sounds like a Yamaha on helium? yamahas can sound a bit metallic... that russian pianist, sviatoslav richter? got a lot of flak when he endorsed yamaha in the 70s. but lots of people play yamahas though.

i'm still looking for a video or dvd of a documentary on michel petrucciani, i caught parts of it on tv and it was produced by a german crew. with interviews, including with charles lloyd, who 'found' michel.

Shahreza

I borrowed a few discs from a friend - of what I've heard, I'd rank them thusly:

1. Au Theatre Des Champs-Elysees - Live two-disc solo set from 1997 on Dreyfus. Very fun.
2. Trio in Tokyo
3. Solo Live (as recommended above - thanks!)
4. 100 Hearts
5. The Owl Years - a two-disc compilation of early stuff

1-3 are all terrific IMO; 1 is phenomenal. 4 left me a little flat, and 5 I honestly didn't give a fair shot, because he made "My Funny Valentine" into a bit of a mess, after which I sort of tuned out.

Interested to hear the Ellington disc when I happen upon it.

Originally posted by wheres vuk
i dont know what he played, but it sounds like a Yamaha on helium

That's a very apt description, especially of the Trio in Tokyo sound. On some of his discs, though, the piano sounds a good bit better. Best so far is the Champs Elysees mentioned above.

advertisement

Back