advertisement

Michaelson & Austin TVA-10 power amp?

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
Hi.
Just came across a Michaelson & Austin TVA-10 power amp. I Googled it and found a connection to Tim de Paravicini and his EAR 509. Has anyone here actually heard one of these live and would be kind enough to share "their" experience? [Runs for cover for the old grammar police]
Thanks,
Peter

The one I saw was not on fire. Or the fire had been put out. It is a fully operational unit. As I have an EAR 868 pre, I thought I may get some EAR-like power magic at 1/2 the price of an EAR 509 v1.
New builds of the TVA-10 are available her, I see: http://www.papworthaudio.co.uk/other.html

EDIT:

I wonder what the going rate for a new build is.

I've never done a comparison, but I recall the TVA 10 sounding rather more 'valve like' than the EAR509. I'd put it somewhere between a EAR890 and a McIntosh 75. They don't have the cult status of EAR, or McIntosh so I'd expect it to be cheaper, and good value, if it is still working.

Or you could buy my EAR890 that is languishing in the classified somewhere (as I really don't want to sell it, but need to look like I'm trying!)

Tried a couple back in the day. They sounded a bit fat n slow, nothing like the 509. Build and reliability was a problem.

hifi dave is bang on, nothing like the 509, the HF was the TVA10 strong point, the TVA1X was also Baron Tim deParavicinis reworking of the original TVA1, the TVA1 and TVA1X are the fire risks. I owned the TVA1X back in the day, wouldn't go there again go for a 509 or an ARC.

hifi dave is bang on, nothing like the 509, the HF was the TVA10 strong point, the TVA1X was also Baron Tim deParavicinis reworking of the original TVA1, the TVA1 and TVA1X are the fire risks. I owned the TVA1X back in the day, wouldn't go there again go for a 509 or an ARC.

I must be rare earth here as I have owned and used a TVA1 since it was on sale, bought from Grahams Electrical when the company (Michaelson & Austin) put them together under a shop in London about a million years ago.. and except for one faulty Valve..which wiped it out and was repaired and upgraded to a 1X for free, and has been running true until today..I STILL use it.

Check to make sure the unit is fused and earthed on the mains side. The ones that came through my workshop over the years were neither fused nor earthed, so if something failed it would just sit there and cook until it caught fire...
Being one of Tim's designs it will be good, it was just the construction that was poor and as someone said earlier these were made in a sweat shop in London. This was one of the first products Antony Michaelson (Musical Fidelity) was involved with.

I am sure that the unit has been updated, but indeed I would much rather own a set of 509s or the 890. My problem is that I have a nice 868L sitting unsold. So I cannot tie up any more money than I have. I also have a sizeable amount tied up in the Czech Republic that I cannot get at. So have been a bit stuck lately.

The TVA has had a service and thorough renovation:
Three new original transformers. All "mustard capacitors" [whatever that is] have been replaced with red WIMA MKS 1000V capacitors. All other components have been measured and have tested ok. The backside of the boards have been refluxed.

As to whether it has been "fire-proofed" I do not know. Will ask.

I'd take Graham's comments regarding earthing very seriously. If nothing else (assuming you have a multimeter) just do a continuity check from the mains plug earth pin to the amp's chassis.

I am sure that the unit has been updated, but indeed I would much rather own a set of 509s or the 890. My problem is that I have a nice 868L sitting unsold. So I cannot tie up any more money than I have. I also have a sizeable amount tied up in the Czech Republic that I cannot get at. So have been a bit stuck lately.

Three new original transformers. All "mustard capacitors" [whatever that is] have been replaced with red WIMA MKS 1000V capacitors. All other components have been measured and have tested ok. The backside of the boards have been refluxed.

Some would argue Mustards are some of the best caps out there - certainly, the 1ufs I fitted to the output of my Croft Micro (replacing some Russian film caps, which replaced a host of boutiquey caps previous to that) are staying.

Those mustard coloured caps actually sound very good and are normally very reliable. I think you mean the back of the boards (PCBs) have been "de fluxed".

I'd be more drawn to an EAR product. TdeP might have designed the TVA but he wsnt dictating the parts budget...

Well, I am a cheapskate too. So I will let this pass. Jem's 890 is awfully tempting ... [but don't tell him, please].

Papworth Audio acquired the design for the Michaelson and Austin TVA10 some time before 1997. I know this because I did some distribution for Papworth after that date and sold a fair few TVA10s. The appellation comes from 'Tim's Valve Amp' ( TVA... Geddit?..) as I understand that whilst Tim De Paravicini designed the amp he was employed by Michaelson and Austin at the time and therefore the Intellectual Property Rights lay with M&A.

I have no idea what happened to Mr Austin, but Anthony Michaelson founded Musical Fidelity and the TVA 10 was then built and marketed by Papworth. The Papworth version had a UK retail price of around £1750 in 1997, so I'd venture that £1180 for a nM&A version is a touch steep. The Papworth verson is built in a beautifully made solid stainless steel chassis with equally nice chrome plated tranny caps and the whole thing is far better built than the M&A original. ( I have seen both.)
It is a 50wpc EL34 based push pull stereo power amp, with a gain control. It is a fine sounding thing and very reliable. I've not spoken to Eddy for a few months but as far as I know the amp is still available.
Eddy at Papworth can work on either version, as no doubt can many competent valvey techies.

http://papworthaudio.co.uk/fother.html#TVA10

Mull

advertisement

Back