advertisement

MHDT HAVANA DAC or CHEVRON PARADOX 8i

kash

pfm Member
I would really appreciate anyone out there sharing their experience of these DAC's pros cons etc. I need a dac purely for CDs as I don't steam or download music.
My system:

Audiolab 8000CDM Transport (older uk audiolab)
Carin Nanda preamp
Carin Ion Monoblocks
Proac Studio 110
Nordost flat 4 speaker cable
Kimber and Linn interconnectors

Many thanks
Russ

Also very interested in this question. I almost bought a Havana recently, and others have said great things about the Paradox. I hope somebody knows. I'm also interested in the Audio Note Dacs, which are fliterless, and some of the Chinese contenders, such as Audio gd and Lite.

As a Paradox owner I can highly recommend it no bells and whistles just excellent sound at a fair price and its even better if your transport can be clock linked to it.
Support our local hifi manufactures I say:)

I agree with Muzzer. I too have a Paradox with external power supply which replaced a full-monty Perpetual Technologies (Dan Wright breathed- upon!) with upgraded power supply and interpolation. I demoed the Paradox initially, thinking that it might come 'close but no cigar'. The Paradox trounced the Perpetual Technologies gear. The former is filterless and is crystal clear, neutral, low noise with no electronic hash that many DACs seem to have, and able to reveal musical tone in a way few DACs do

There is a USB input on the Paradox so you can stream or play downloads through it too. Colin is flexible with connections and can provide what you need: mine runs through balanced connections

Thoroughly recommended

Elephantears - I was only just googling the Audio gd Dac, some right horror stories with build quality and units that don't work on arrival.

I just bought an Mhdt Havanna and really enjoying it. It doesn't plumb the bass depths of either the Lavry DA10 or the MF M1 which was excellent in this department however it does everything else much more 'Right' than the aforementioned.

Very listenable and very involving quality.

I can see me keeping this a while.

I just bought an Mhdt Havanna and really enjoying it. It doesn't plumb the bass depths of either the Lavry DA10 or the MF M1 which was excellent in this department however it does everything else much more 'Right' than the aforementioned.

Very listenable and very involving quality.

I can see me keeping this a while.

How much does it cost the build quality looks great.

How much does it cost the build quality looks great.

I'm not sure the new price as I just picked it up off another forum member. I believe they have also released a balanced version.

I'm sure others have mentioned a price of $899, however you may have to pay import taxes.

Build quality is fine. Sound quality is even better. Somehow its just a bit more listenable than other Dac's I've used - Chord 64.2 / Lavry / MF M1. All were great in ways. This is just better than those in more ways.

Plus you have the added benefit of being able to tube roll - if that's your sort of thing.

Raynor, I guess you just bought the one on the Wam that I almost bought, except for bad timing, since I'd just bought a cd5xs. Its a really excellent cd player, but I still have an attraction to NOS Dacs, which seem to get midrange magic especially well.

Kash, that's surprising about Audio dg - there are lots of appreciative users on Headfi. They now have a British distributor - I've forgotten their name but they were advertising on here recently and are based in North London. They are primarily importing Chinese audio, including Lite. I'll try and remember the name!

The Paradox .... is filterless and is crystal clear, neutral, low noise with no electronic hash that many DACs seem to have, and able to reveal musical tone in a way few DACs do

Thoroughly recommended

+1

I have a pardox 8i. Bethelcat's remarks are right on the mark. Effortless, no pressure on the ears listening. Can't wait to try it with my Wadia, but have a cable problem at present. It was superb with my Chevron modified VRDS9.

Colin's a top bloke.

advertisement

Back