advertisement

MF System Camera

Mamiya RB67 for me. Was my most used camera 15+years. Big lump but loved the rotating back, big negs, no electronics, and bellows focus was great for still life close ups

Right I've decided to purchase an MF system camera, interchangeable backs, interchangeable lenses. I want to keep the weight reasonable (so no Fuji GX680s!!) but I can't make my mind up between 645 and 6x6. I like 645 negatives, they give plenty of detail and scan well but I've always had a hankering to shoot 6x6. A square camera with 50/80mm lens combination would suit my day out shooting.

I want through the lens viewing so no rangefinders (this time), I also don't have unlimited funds so I think a Hasselblad is not achieveable.

Currently I'm drawn to the Bronica's ETRS range (645) or the SQ range (6x6), if any one has any experinece of these or alternative cameras please feel free to impart some knowledge!
I used to shoot on a Mamiya 645, had 3 120 backs 1 35mm back 45, 80, 150 & 500 lenses, waist level finder and AE prism finder, worst thing I ever done was sell it, still regret it 20 years later :( I preferred this to the Bronica. Used to hike all over Yorkshire Dales with this kit, minus the 500 lens though.

Mamiya RB67 for me. Was my most used camera 15+years. Big lump but loved the rotating back, big negs, no electronics, and bellows focus was great for still life close ups

One of my friends ha sone, but as you say 'big lump', its nearly twice the weight oif the Bronica SQ-A - rotating back is cool.

advertisement

Back