advertisement

meter tails max length...

Originally posted by Ken C
many thanks mark for the info. i always wondered what the acronyms mean. (what about the C in TNC-S?).

i agree stick with supply earth. i have two 10mm^2 radials from the consumer unit to the hifi, presumably this means i have to run 2 THICK cable earths from CU to each radial outlet. since my radials are wired with 45 amp rated T&E, i would assume (perhaps wroingly) that the earth of this cable is rated quite close to 45amps (do you know the actual rating? -- its a bit thinner than the L/N wires)

while we are talking about outlets, do you know where i can get an unfused/unswitched triple socket? the plugs will be fused, so we are still safe.

C - earth & neutral conductors combined.

I'm unclear by what you mean by radials? Spurs?

Apropos your earth cable, current rating is not the issue but resistance minimum value. However, judging by your cooker cable spec I think your into the realm of splitting hairs...

Triple unswitched - try current Screwfix catalogue(no 77) page 177 Part No D12398 - Select 3g @ £6.95 each inc vat.

Want to get serious? Go 16A industrial.

Mark

Originally posted by MarkS
C - earth & neutral conductors combined.

I'm unclear by what you mean by radials? Spurs?

Apropos your earth cable, current rating is not the issue but resistance minimum value. However, judging by your cooker cable spec I think your into the realm of splitting hairs...

Triple unswitched - try current Screwfix catalogue(no 77) page 177 Part No D12398 - Select 3g @ £6.95 each inc vat.

Want to get serious? Go 16A industrial.

Mark

radials vs spurs -- for what i have, a single cable from CU to socket outlet, i gather the correct name is radial rather than the commonly 'mis'used "spur".

ah, OK impedance. i thought the cable has to be able to handle likely mag of earth fault current as well?

many thanks for source of triple sockets.. yes, i want to get serious splitting hairs -- what this 16A industrial and where to get it ?

many thanks and enjoy

ken

If you have type B mcb's for your hifi mains feed change it to type C as this deals better with current spikes/surges.

BTW, a 10mm^2 conductor(pvc insulated), clipped fixing, has a domestic rating of 65A...ie 65x230=14.95kVA which is more than adequate for a domestic hifi....

Mark

If you have type B mcb's for your hifi mains feed change it to type C as this deals better with current spikes/surges.

BTW, a 10mm^2 conductor(pvc insulated), clipped fixing, has a domestic rating of 65A...ie 65x230=14.95kVA which is more than adequate for a domestic hifi....

Mark

mark, many thanks. will check what type mcb i have -- presumably this will be obvious from looking at it.

65 amps!! seriously over-rated. sounds bloody good though... not too sure i fully understand why.

enjoy

ken

radials vs spurs -- for what i have, a single cable from CU to socket outlet, i gather the correct name is radial rather than the commonly 'mis'used "spur".

ah, OK impedance. i thought the cable has to be able to handle likely mag of earth fault current as well?

many thanks for source of triple sockets.. yes, i want to get serious splitting hairs -- what this 16A industrial and where to get it ?

You are right - radial is the correct modern parlance - spurs are radials from a ring. However, if I came round and told you, joe public, that you need eg a radial from the cu for your boiler you would probably think I'm giving you the 3b's cf if I said you need a separate spur...

Impedance? I would of thought 99.999...% of your consideration is resistive with a cable of that magnitude - unless you start putting loops into it ;-)

Bear in mind the earth is a 2 way street and I hope the 0v lines in your amps etc are properly filtered from the mains earth.

Earth cable current capability considerations are not for continous loading. Even the earth in 1.0mm T&E has less resistance than you do... ;-)

16A industrial - check out www.screwfix.com for D15521 & D16192 - but these plugs have no fuse capability so you would have to add these separately. Industrial equipment has fuses/cb's post isolator switch on board.

Mark

mark, many thanks. will check what type mcb i have -- presumably this will be obvious from looking at it.

65 amps!! seriously over-rated. sounds bloody good though... not too sure i fully understand why.

The mcb will eg show on the front it's a B32 ie it's a 32A type B...

Think of the fat radial cable a "breather" tube for your amps. If you have a six pack setup of, say, 500VA transformer in each amp plus, say, 200VA for the other bits in your system... = 3200VA total, cf that with the 14.9kVA capability of your supply cable...I don't think your sound system would get weezy... ;-)

Mark

The mcb will eg show on the front it's a B32 ie it's a 32A type B...

Think of the fat radial cable a "breather" tube for your amps. If you have a six pack setup of, say, 500VA transformer in each amp plus, say, 200VA for the other bits in your system... = 3200VA total, cf that with the 14.9kVA capability of your supply cable...I don't think your sound system would get weezy... ;-)

Mark

"unfortunately" i have type B's. i was going to run a separate thick earths (same size as L/N) from each outlet of my radials (i.e. not use the thinner ones supplied with 10mm T&E) -- my half baked theory being that the lower impedance to earth (OK, mainly resistive, but i wonder what the capacitance is with all that sheathing) the better. but this involves a lot of messing about and my wife has just about had enough of that. if i ever do that, i will also change the MCB's to safer type C's.

i have learnt quite a bit from this exchange. many thanks.

enjoy

ken

ps: oh, and i have ordered the 3gang sockets. thanks again.

advertisement

Back