advertisement

Merz

MO!

MOnkey`ead
Well myself and a couple of others have mention him on other forums, but not much response :( So i'll see if there's any MOre interest here....

His new album Loveheart has finally been released after what seems to have taken forever! It's been available to download from the website www.merz.co.uk (along with samples and such), for a while, but the actual release has took a while.

Loveheart is the follow up to the self titled 1999 debut. Where as "Merz" is a mix of electronic beats and acoustic guitar, "Loveheart" is MOre minimal.

As I've said on threads elsewhere, I picked up the debut after hearing positive comments and seeing it for a few quid. The beats/production and general sound of the album impressed from the off, but I just couldn't get on with his voice. So the album was relegated to the bottom of the pile. Then a couple of years back I dug it out again and WOW! It was quite mad, his vocal went from annoying to great. I think I played the album through a couple of times a day for a week or two.

A great blend of beautifull acoustic tracks, and some bigger electro backed tunes too. One of my fav's.

So, how does the follow up compare? At first I was perhaps a little dissapointed at the lack of "big" tunes, but certainly thought it was a bit special. It's different much MOre minimal, but take it on it's own and it's another really good album. The production is spot on again, just much MOre subtle. The only gripe is that it's perhaps a little short. It's strong throughout its short span, with perhaps only Mentor not quite hitting the spot.

It's hard to say which would be the better place to start for newcomers. Both offer something slightly different. I prefer the debut, but both are well worth a listen.

As one review says.... Merz aka Conrad Lambert has a striking resemblance to Van Gough......... lend him your ear!

Also, managed to catch a couple of gigs and he's worth seeing live too. Dates are on the site. Comes across a genuinely nice guy. Deserves some recognition. Well, saying that it's been reviewed highly and the debut looked set to launch him big time!

Thoughts/Opinions?

Hello MO!,

I, like you, enjoyed the instrumental content on the first album but again like you, had a harder time with his voice. Interesting that this has now changed for you. I think others have said before that it is canbe worth hanging onto music that doesn’t initially do it for you, as when you revisit after time, the experience can be different. Recent example for me was Goldfrapps Black Cherry, which I bought a couple of years ago but didn't take to. However, having heard Supenature and having seen them live recently, Black Cherry now makes sense. I think I will revisit Merz.

Regards

Yeah, give it another go!

When I revisited the debut a few years ago, it really did make me smile. An album which had been sat there over-looked and dismissed, then given another chance, and now a fav.
I had one of my brothers listen to it. He sort of screwed his face up and said the same of how he'd listened to it before and couldn't get on with his voice. I told him to try it again and he's also rather fond of it now too.

If anyone uses itunes

Merz track Dangerous Heady Love Scheme is the iTunes Europe Free Download Of The Week. If you were about to buy it from here, go there now and get it free!

http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/

Other tunes seem to be popping up on various cover cds and websites too.

I'd be interested to know what you think of it this time round YSG

advertisement

Back