advertisement

Merry blxxdy Christmas from ebay!

Ergot

pfm Member
I’m quite unhappy.

I listed some top quality kit, all tested and in superb condition on ebay, I take pride in ensuring that i’d be delighted with anything that I sell.

And i’m not new to this lark, I’ve been buying & selling everything from cartridges to cars via ebay with 100% feedback for the last EIGHTEEN YEARS. So I didn’t anticipate this bullshittery.

First to sell was a Sugden CD player, £1200 to a nice chap in N.I. He paid straight away using PayPal. He’d offered £1200 as it was £1500 but he’d had a rough time of it so I figured I’d to the chap a good turn and accept his offer of £1200.

On that offer screen it clearly stated “you’ll get paid within 4 days”. All cool.

Then I get a notification that he’s paid, however on the notification it says “funds on hold, please wait”, I waited then it updated “funds on hold - payment will be on 23rd December”

30 days, depending on me posting within the set timeframe.

I call and ask “its ebay policy now, in case if returns” but the default ebay option is “no returns” that’s ebays default option. “Regardless of that if the buyer raises a claim we have to refund within 30 days, these are DSR terms”

“Is this just my account?” No any sales over £750 will be subject to these terms, this is ebay policy.

So After discussing it with the buyer I cancel the order.

That’s a £1200 sale lost.

I complain to ebay, they automatically close the complaint with no contact and a suggestion to contact the ombudsman. Which I do, The ombudsman has now opened an investigation.

Then a Sugden Integrated sells at £2500, same bullshit, same process, also cancelled.

That’s £3700 in sales lost.

Then a Sugden phono sells, £1200 no response from the buyer, I expect this will go the same way.

Then a Garrard 401 sells for £2250, same deal “accept the offer and get paid in 4 days”, next notice “funds on hold - payment on 25th December” tell the buyer, they ask to cancel.

That’s £5950 in lost sales. With £1200 in the mist.

Every offer said “you will get paid in four days”

Once accepted then its “on hold” until after Christmas.

If anyone else is experiencing this then raise a complaint, it’ll get rejected, then raise a complaint with the ombudsman. That’s the only way this will ever be addressed.

My guess is that they’re holding funds as a) its cheaper than borrowing and b) it bolsters the bottom line so when everyone’s favourite SpaceBruh MarsKaren BlueBirdKiller Billionaire comes looking for a market place / payment gateway to assimilate into his X platform he can get sued into buying ebay.

Well he’s welcome to the bloody thing!

What’s even more annoying is that i could personally accept PayPal and even invoice the buyers from my own Ltd company so they’d have arguably better protection than “payments by ebay”.

Oh well, what’s seven grand before Christmas eh?!?

it’s pay on collection in future. Screw ebay.

That's really frustrating for you. Quick question - If the item was returned how would the buyer get the refund? Do eBay keep any details of your credit card/ bank so they can take the funds if required?

FFS. Ebay has come a long way! From offering an auction place where you got paid directly, immediately by buyers and then later sending you an invoice for their auction services, to be paid at your convenience, to acting as a free agent who profits from matching genuine sellers to scammers, whilst having their own fingers in your bank account to help themselves whenever they feel like it.

It's long past time for them to be put out of business by a disruptively honest peer-to-peer e-marketplace.

That's really frustrating for you. Quick question - If the item was returned how would the buyer get the refund? Do eBay keep any details of your credit card/ bank so they can take the funds if required?
Don't you pay eBay directly now?

Every offer said “you will get paid in four days”
Surely it must be illegal for Ebay to state this and then follow it up, after accepting offer, with "funds are on hold until xxxx" ? That's fraudulent and deliberately misleading as part of a contract.

Yep, I’m pretty sure that in order to use ebay you need to have active accounts with ebay direct debits

Surely it must be illegal for Ebay to state this and then follow it up, after accepting offer, with "funds are on hold until xxxx" ? That's fraudulent and deliberately misleading as part of a contract.
Completely, thankfully i have it screen shotted as well. The ombudsman is of the same opinion

Sadly seems to be a thing with lots of platforms now. The BBC ran this story a while back with Etsy sellers holding funds and the impact it has on small business sellers.

They really are greedy bastards. It's not enough to make an honest profit, they have to screw every last drop of juice out of their customers.

Seems a pretty clear bait and switch. 30 days interest free credit, nice!

Do you have a card linked to your eBay account?

There's always Gumtree.

Each time you cancel a sale you get a 'defect', depending what reason box you used, I am pretty certain you will now be in 'below standard' in seller performance and therefore your items will be put on the last pages of the search and you wont be able to use any promotions and they may ban your account if you fall even deeper into it.

eBay only allow 0.3% of sales to be cancelled or for them to close without resolution for you to fall into Below Standard, and getting out is a nightmare. Could take a year when they cancel themselves out, or you'll need to sell 3000 items before your next evaluation date. Always keep an eye on your Seller Dashboard. The defects will show within a month or so, unless you chose 'issue with buyers address' or 'buyer asked to cancel, these wont cause a defect but can get you in trouble if a buyer complains they never allowed you to use this reason.

I would have just waited it it out, eventually after you've made some more sales of high value, the speed the payout happens is reduced often till next day.

However what you can do now is message the buyers and ask them to pay by PayPal directly. Normally this would flag up eBays security system about exchanging details before a sale which they forbid and bring the ban hammer out reguarly if you try it, but it dosent look for this when the sale has been made even if cancelled.

Each time you cancel a sale you get a 'defect', depending what reason box you used, I am pretty certain you will now be in 'below standard' in seller performance and therefore your items will be put on the last pages of the search and you wont be able to use any promotions and they may ban your account if you fall even deeper into it.

eBay only allow 0.3% of sales to be cancelled or for them to close without resolution for you to fall into Below Standard, and getting out is a nightmare. Could take a year when they cancel themselves out, or you'll need to sell 3000 items before your next evaluation date. Always keep an eye on your Seller Dashboard. The defects will show within a month or so, unless you chose 'issue with buyers address' or 'buyer asked to cancel, these wont cause a defect but can get you in trouble if a buyer complains they never allowed you to use this reason.

I would have just waited it it out, eventually after you've made some more sales of high value, the speed the payout happens is reduced often till next day.

However what you can do now is message the buyers and ask them to pay by PayPal directly. Normally this would flag up eBays security system about exchanging details before a sale which they forbid and bring the ban hammer out reguarly if you try it, but it dosent look for this when the sale has been made even if cancelled.
if that’s the case the it really is the end of ebay & me, 18 years, f*** em :(

if that’s the case the it really is the end of ebay & me, 18 years, f*** em :(

In a couple of weeks, sometimes a month, check your Seller Dashboard and you'll see your metrics..it's a brutal system designed to ensure even good sellers fail.

advertisement

Back