advertisement

Meridian CD players

Used to use a Meridian 596 DVD as a cd player- excellent. But no longer reading discs and the loader mech (cheap and common to Arcam and probably the linn Classic) no longer avail.

Not sure if still available but the 808/803 series is the best they did until streaming became the fad, a big leap forward from G08.

This might interest you;

The 808 also can also act as an preamp with both analogue and digital inputs if you want to reduce box count.

It can also integrate with other Meridian kit including the DSP speakers to be controlled by one remote. I have a non-Meridian streamer and a Sooloos unit plumbed in. I have had a Meridian 210 streamer hooked up in the past as well.

Second hand prices are around £3000.00 for the v3 and up to £5000 for a V6.

Had a new drive and recap on my 596 by Mr Tech Guy earlier this year. It’s a fab machine well worth repairing, bit on an audio bargain, too. If used as a transport, you can set output at 44.1 or 96kHz.

Previously had a 507 (@guey’s beforehand), also a great CD player.

£290 for the new drive & recap. A smidge over 10% of its original purchase price, which is worth it to me.

Well I suppose it’s worth £0 at the moment and if I repaired it it would be worth a minimum of £290… and I’ve an MSR remote.. no risk.

I remember it had exceptional stereo. Have you tried the 96khz upsampled digital out?

I think getting your 596 repaired and serviced would be a wise choice, given what else £290 could buy these days, the 500 series have a better reliability reputation than the G series, due to failing power supply's, if you can get up into the 800 series, be careful, as they use a series of input and output cards, to suit your system so may not have an analogue output to use with your system as Meridian thought digital was the only way forward way back when.

I have 508.24. Replaced the laser and it's a great CD player. Elegant if there is a one word to describe the sound. Unfortunately it has to be plugged ON and on the standby all the time otherwise it refuses to play. Probably needs a re-cap. Also have 200 series which plays as a transport first 5 tracks and that's it. TDA 1541 dac chip is fried so full service is due. I have to refurbish it as well as the rest of the 100 series stack (101 , 104 , 105) it is meant to compliment. 104 tuner is all gone through and aligned but it is little touchy bugger. Initially I got MCD but 200 series brown box simply looks more in line than oddball MCD.

advertisement

Back