advertisement

Meridian 556

greg788

pfm Member
I found one of these for a *great* price and it's mint. The question is, how good is it as far as sound quality? What is its sonic character -- laid back, neutral, warm, etc.? And any known reliability issues? I'm in USA and older Meridian amps aren't well known over here.

Maybe lean. I had a 556, then moved on to its successor the G56, which had a fruitier bass, if memory serves.

Meridian equipment generally does not have an overriding sonic signature but open, neutral and laid-back might apply. One can listen to their kit all day. They are reliable but it might benefit from a recap as it is probably over 20 years old.

Here is an old review (which reminds me why reviews are pointless but ho-hum) www.meridian-audio.info/public/501_556%5b2406%5d.pdf

IMHO, the sound of a power amplifier is more a function of the relationship between the amplifier and speaker rather than the amplifier itself. If you have "normal" speakers (2 or 3-way 8ohm with a relatively benign impedence curve) the 556 should be nice. The 557 (the bigger brother and a different beast altogether) would be better if you want more than nice and/or have awkward speakers.

The Meridian forum (www.meridianunplugged.com) will give you contacts for support in the USA and a wealth of other information.

It's a great powerful amplifier, but make sure you turn it on last and off first (pre amp wise) or the 3.15a fuse sometimes pops.

Lovely amp, only ever used one with Meridian preamp 541/502. With a Meridian 507 CD player upfront and Ruark Talisman speakers, I have to agree with the above, neutral, wide open, detailed and relaxed.

Spookily, my 556 started out driving a pair of Talismen. It certainly dealt with them more effectively than the Aufiolab 8000S it replaced.

advertisement

Back