advertisement

Meridian 101b preamp to 105 power amp DIN plug connectors

Guitarist 28

pfm Member
Hi
Can anyone offer help or advice with this please? I am not sure if my connections between my Meridian 101b preamp and the 105 power amps are correct? At present I'm using a 5 pin din with pins 3,5 and 2 (ground) connected to RCA phono outputs to each 105 mono power amp. However, in examining the Meridian set up guide (see link attached) it does appear that pins 1,4 right and 3,5 left plus pin 2 ground should be connected. This makes me completely confused whether my preamp/amp set up are correct.

Your thoughts, comments or advice is most welcome.

Best Regards

Rob

101b to 105 connection

Rob

You could consult 7266ian on eBay who has also a presence (and a copper bottomed reputation) on meridianunplugged. He is the Meridian cable guru and can provide the correct cables if yours are wrong.

Agreed, Ian has made up several cables for me. Highly recommended.
And if the cable you seek is not currently showing on eBay, then drop him a line, and he’ll put one up for you.

Another source of info will be "Mr Tech Guy", aka Russel (he's also on unplugged, or Goggle for him). Ex Meridian service enginer). Top chap, repaired my M20s about a month ago.

One question, did the 101b come with the 105s (so presumably they have worked in the past), or did you buy them separately? If the latter, you should check what output module is fitted in the preamp - single ended or balanced - coz that may make a difference in cable configuration.

And if the cable you seek is not currently showing on eBay, then drop him a line, and he’ll put one up for you.

Another source of info will be "Mr Tech Guy", aka Russel (he's also on unplugged, or Goggle for him). Ex Meridian service enginer). Top chap, repaired my M20s about a month ago.

One question, did the 101b come with the 105s (so presumably they have worked in the past), or did you buy them separately? If the latter, you should check what output module is fitted in the preamp - single ended or balanced - coz that may make a difference in cable configuration.
I bought the 101b and 105s separately. You raised a question I cannot answer at this stage - what the output module is? I'll have to undo the casing and look. Many thanks for raising this.

I have been in contact with Ian (I believe it is the right Ian) who has given me terrific info how to wire the DIN cable and these are completely different to what I have (I am amazed).

I have also checked the 101b input module (see internal pics)

So how are you going to power your 105? From the crummy switch on 101B ? I have the same set waiting to be updated and I'm mulling over the relay activated (from 101B) power strip for 105 monos.

Currently my 103D is switched by the 101, as designed. I did try separate mains plugs on the PSUs, but did not perceive any difference in SQ.

I'm worried more about the survival of switch in 101b carrying the power to both 105 monos than the improvement in sound quality. It's very difficult to source suitable replacements in most cases. Not sure how it looks regarding the unit used in 101B.

I have to comment positively here - Ian helped me tremendously to help me correctly wire the balanced DIN plugs for the 101b to 105s which was totally opposite to what I had set up for RCA connections. Now the 101b/105 is just awesome, balance, highly detailed and NOT aggressive at all.
The B&W602.5 S3's are terrific, highly detailed but still just a bit bass output light but I think again, this is due to the location in room. I'm going to try with the subwoofer now having moved on from the A19 (sad, its a great amp BUT not as good as the 101b/105).

I am not 100% pleased that I listed to very good advice and help - this forum is great, thanks all.

Best Regards

Rob

advertisement

Back