advertisement

Meridian 101 Pre-amp Questions

Hi

Search for 8 pin aligments in the middle... if so, than your´s is using a opamp in the output.

Look here for details: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1657603#post1657603

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

Had a look at the post suggested and also the picture at

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=1709927&stamp=1231714862

My output stage looks much more akin to the phone input and RIAA stages in your first post so fingers crossed

Ian

Hi Ian

Did you remove the output stage ? (It comes off easily just by pulling up due to the gold contacts)

Mine is "naked" because I needed to remove the cover to recap and replace the opamp.
Previously it just looked like the other two (In the pic, only the Riaa eq is covered)

After recaping and replacing the opamp by one of the new "metal can", the pre was lifted to high end status.

Ricardo

Ola Ricardo

Yes I gentled eased all three off once I knew they came off it was very straightforward all amps should be built like this !

as far as I can tell from the solder and pins below all the modules look discrete. ( The pins don't appear to match to the parts in your "naked module" on the later post much more like the bottoms of the 2 phono modules in the earlier post)

I did take some pictures but cant see an easy way to post on here.

I did a gradual power up the other day after checking there was no obvious faults but haven't got past an all working test with some old speakers. Had a worry at first when one channel wasn't working but traced it down to a din to rca phono lead that had the wrong pins wired.

I might manage to get it in system next week end and have a proper listen.

So probably yours has a discrete output. It is precious !

Do you know if it has ever been serviced ?

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

No idea on the pre - I suspect not as it all looks very original.

The 103 Power amp looks as if it has work done on it at some point. Very neat very tidy but some components are different makes on the different channels. resistors included but the values look the same.

the 2 PSU look original.

I am doing my best not to mod but keep as they are - might not be the best route for sound quality but unless they sound dire it is probably best longer term

Hi Ian

The power cord mod on the power amp psu is very important... better transients, better bass, better dynamics.

Can you please post some pics of the inside of the power amp ?

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

The pre looks identical to the picture Cobbers posted but mine has a red spot MM phono stage.

I have used my last bit of thermal paste to stick the heat sink to the case on the power amp so dont fancy taking it apart right now unless its urgent. The PSU are basically 2 big blue caps plus a transformer will post later if it helps

Can I post pictures here without hosting them elsewhere ? if so how ?

Ian

I've just recently examined my PSU caps and they are bulging and leaking. They are 1979 originals though, I'm just surprised/disappointed Meridian didn't replace them when one went for repair in 2004.

Hi Neil

Thanks for that

I expected to see some bulging and leaking but all looks ok right now,

I noticed that some one had replaced the ITT 6800 with Munford 15,000UF 63v
any other views on keep or replace and if so replace with what.

It would be nice to find some more ITT - if they have lasted 30 years ..... and it keeps things original

Hi Ian
I replaced the stock ITT 6800uF for Mundorf 15000uF because the blue ones were bulging due to the age.

Regarding the preamp, you should consider replacing the post regulator caps (ITT) by some 680uF 35V BG Nx that fit nicely there and really boosted the performance.

The power cord mod in the 103 really gave a lot of bass power and detail.

I see that your output module is discrete so it will benefit from a good reg... consider building some LM317 / 337 setup... this will boost even more the overall performance.

Ricardo

Thanks for all the suggestions,

I am making some leads this afternoon hopefully so with any luck I should get to see what it sounds like stock over the weekend and then make some decisions about upgrading or not

at present all looks ok with no bulging or leaking caps so I am tempted to run for a while to make sure all is ok

Ian

Took me 3 hours last night to solder 1 din plug lead. It didn't help with the cable being too big for the plug body but I think I have the technique sorted and only 3 more cable to go now!

advertisement

Back