advertisement

Meridian 101 Pre-amp Questions

After succesfully recaping the 101b and the 103 PSU, I need to have a go at the power amp.

The first mod I intend to do is basically upgrade the connections between preamp and amp.

In order to build a suitable cable, I need to know the pin connections (DIN plug) inside the power amp.... Can anyone help ?

Best regards

Ricardo

...build a suitable cable, I need to know the pin connections (DIN plug) inside the power amp....

From the owners manual:

"The input signal to the power amplifier is via the five pin DIN socket pins 3 and 5 left and right respectively pin 2 ground"

Just replaced the stock cable between 101 and 103 with a prototype made of silver 5 pin din plugs, using mogami wire.

Notorious gains in detail but the TT now sounds a little forward. (Must wait to be able to report correctly.... shhhh the solderings are healing nicely).

Thank you Neil for your support :)

Now I am considering replacing the 103 power amp´s 100uF EL caps by some 220uF 35V Ruby ZA.... Should I do it or the 100uF is a critical value ?

Regards

Ricardo

just rescued 101/103 combo from many years storage in loft little/no signal left channel i have no electronic knowledge what could be problem and would it be cost effective repair can remember loving sound from vinyl years ago but will now use cd plus sonos

I shipped my power amp back to Meridian - officially they have to go via a dealer - but the repair costs were very reasonable and shipping direct didnt appear to cause a majour problem. I just had to pay via a dealer of my choice, I used Martins in Norwich as I have bought from them before

It's undoubtedly one or more tired old electrolytic caps expired. It's a simple job to recap it all and well worth going to the trouble.

Does anyone have the wiring 'Pin out' diagram for the Y cable to add a second PSU to a 103 amp? I have the 101 and 103, just had them recapped and would like to add in the second PSU, but any info on the Y lead to connect a second PSU seems to be lost.
Any info much appreciated!
Cheers,
Rory.

Those often maligned people at Russ Andrews made a Y connector for me a few years ago. It works well, was not expensive and was delivered fast. RA used to sell the 100 series so he knows about them. Otherwise the people that recapped them should be able to help.

As per the link above, they are made by Ian from the Meridian Forum (user name MI'), if you drop him a line over there, he will make what ever you need for Meridian kit.

advertisement

Back