advertisement

Menswear - Fashion, Style and Function - Share Your Wears!

I dont wear labels. I refuse to. I would want to get paid a monthly fee for advertising their product. Plus I also don't believe they're worth the money. An off the peg shirt, is an off the peg shirt, I don't believe an off the peg Armarni shirt is of any better quality than an M&S one. I can understand paying for a made to measure item of clothing, because that's bespoke, but charging a the kinds of premiums "brands" charge for off the peg stuff isn't worth it in my view. (I geniunely don't care if they've been sewn by a 50 year old italian seamstress by hand over a 3 day period rather than by machine by a Chinese worker in 5 minutes, it doesn't make the fundamental quality of the shirt any better, and I'll only pay extra for quality not the cost of production).
Agree completely. I have maybe one shirt a year made, and one suit or jacket every five or six years. The cost for each is more than dirt-cheap stuff, but less than the trendy brands, and the quality is much, much better than the trendy brands. Besides, I'm giving work to local craftsmen and women rather than to a multinational holding company that produces in Chinese sweatshops using the cheapest possible materials.
Today, the "name" seems to have a higher value than the substance.

Agree completely. I have maybe one shirt a year made, and one suit or jacket every five or six years. The cost for each is more than dirt-cheap stuff, but less than the trendy brands, and the quality is much, much better than the trendy brands. Besides, I'm giving work to local craftsmen and women rather than to a multinational holding company that produces in Chinese sweatshops using the cheapest possible materials.
Today, the "name" seems to have a higher value than the substance.
Right. Example:

Cheapest Emporio Armani (long sleeved) shirt is £170. Guess where they're also made:

An M&S pure cotton long sleeved shirt start from £35, and I have no doubt they're made in Bangladesh or China etc

Naw, not my style, apart from when I was into Two-Tone and had loafers, pork pie hat and a snappy thin collar black suit - I only kept that up for a few months.

Johnny Cash could get away with wearing black shirts.
You are a tough nut to crack, Mr Tabs. But as I wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of Johnny Cash I’ll try again. This was earlier today. I had just picked up this eBay-purchased suit from my team of seamstresses who had tweaked it to fit me. I thought I’d inject some colour for your benefit with a lilac shirt, burgundy waistcoat and red paisley tie. Is that any better? The suit itself has a faint line of orange in the fabric, honest.

i.php

You are a tough nut to crack, Mr Tabs. But as I wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of Johnny Cash I’ll try again. This was earlier today. I had just picked up this eBay-purchased suit from my team of seamstresses who had tweaked it to fit me. I thought I’d inject some colour for your benefit with a lilac shirt, burgundy waistcoat and red paisley tie. Is that any better? The suit itself has a faint line of orange in the fabric, honest.

i.php

Who doesn’t like a fine pinstripe of orange! Sold. Lovely waistcoat which I imagine has a silky lining. Yellow maybe.
Like the jacket. Double-Vented rear, Single Vent or Unvented?
(box-jackets make me shudder.)

Nice to see that there is none of that double-breasted nonsense going on. That way Alan Partridge lays in wait.
I can’t see your shoes. I hope they aren’t black. :(

Who doesn’t like a fine pinstripe of orange! Sold. Lovely waistcoat which I imagine has a silky lining. Yellow maybe.
Like the jacket. Double-Vented rear, Single Vent or Unvented?
(box-jackets make me shudder.)

Nice to see that there is none of that double-breasted nonsense going on. That way Alan Partridge lays in wait.
I can’t see your shoes. I hope they aren’t black. :(
The waistcoat does indeed have a silky lining, but sadly in a similar colour rather than yellow. The jacket is single vented - I prefer that to double for some reason, although I’m not desperately fussed either way. I agree with you about double-breasted - too nautical-cap-and-cocktails-on-the-yacht for me.

Ah. The shoes. How can I break this to you gently? I should have worn my oxblood Loakes, shouldn’t I? Doh!! So near, yet so far…

The waistcoat does indeed have a silky lining, but sadly in a similar colour rather than yellow. The jacket is single vented - I prefer that to double for some reason, although I’m not desperately fussed either way. I agree with you about double-breasted - too nautical-cap-and-cocktails-on-the-yacht for me.

Ah. The shoes. How can I break this to you gently? I should have worn my oxblood Loakes, shouldn’t I? Doh!! So near, yet so far…

:D
Do you ever rock a silk square for your top pocket?
I have a couple and usually spend too long trying to get it to sit just right.. without looking deliberate.

Nice to see that there is none of that double-breasted nonsense going on.

I don't know your views on the monarchy but have you noticed King Charles has largely switched to single breasted jackets ...but often with the sort of peak lapel more normally found on a double-breasted jacket?

I don't know your views on the monarchy but have you noticed King Charles has largely switched to single breasted jackets ...but often with the sort of peak lapel more normally found on a double-breasted jacket?

Ahh, lapels, the topic less travelled.
A few years ago we were invited on a very fancy cruise (jacket and tie for Gentlemen at breakfast type thing) and I had to get a new Tuxedo.
I went for a shawl lapel as per early Connery/Bond

The Peak lapel is a bit flamboyant, a bit like double-breasted jackets for me.

edit: the monarchy is a side-show /end-of-the-pier entertainment for the masses, I wish they would pay their own way.

The mid-1970’s Roger Moore double-breasted nonsense makes me cringe

I’ve never liked double breasted jackets but apparently they are still ‘required’ in some of the loftier professions. Showing your shirt below a certain level is not the done thing.

He's good, and responsible for improving the dress sense of many left wing users of Twitter since he started showing up in everyone's feeds last year. My favourite post of his:

Although I don’t fully understand that artist-formerly-known-as-Twitter post, the hat is exactly what I had in mind above. It would be a perfect match with a double-breasted jacket on board his 40’ catamaran.

Maybe he thinks (or someone thinks for him) that single-breasted looks more approachable, more "man of the people" or more up to date than double breasted.
Someone once told me that older men wear double breasted because it camouflages the pot belly, suggesting massive pectorals even if they are not there.

i.php
I sense a deal of symbolism in your domestic arrangements Marchbanks . . . Ozzy ready to pounce at midnight; Gaston strategically sited ready to serve his master's every whim libation. And is that (yet another) Rembrandt selfie lurking behind you? However, the composition is tarnished by that sorry-looking pile of shoes on the floor; I pointed my Feng-Shui'O'Meter at the image and the needle steadfastly refused to budge.

I was somewhat taken with the door handle/contraption though. Is this your own design? Does it double as a Ninja chopper, should the need arise? Assuming the bit of Warwickshire just outside your gaff is where Ninja's run wild.

John

I avoid anything that's not made of natural fibers (cotton, linen, wool), except for the outer wind/rain layer and shoes.

Can't say I have a 'sty;e' but I am intentionally out of fashion (and of the environmentally-unfriendly, consumerist merry-go-round that comes with it). Comfy is compulsory, turtle necks with zippers are great for cycling.

I wear my clothes for as long as they last, I even keep a few old cotton shirts with worn collars and wollen jumpers with holes in elbows to wear when I am at home.
Surely when you are at home is the perfect time for the bespoke smoking jacket, cravat, and Lobb slippers?

advertisement

Back