advertisement

Menswear - Fashion, Style and Function - Share Your Wears!

Currently wearing a Gloverall Submariner Jumper and a pair of jeans from the wonderful joeandco who resides at Altrincham market. Like Matthew a big fan of Uniqlo for socks and pants. Have quite a few pieces from Joe now, his shirts in particular are awesome. Also like Trickett as a brand for t-shirts and sweat-shirts. Shoes this morning were Red-Wing Moc-toes. I’ve also got a really nice pair of Sanders Derby boots I bought recently: I’ve decided as I get older I’d rather have a few nice things, rather than lots of newer cheap things. Most of what I wear apart from work stuff is Joe and Co, Trickett, Gloverall or for slobbing about in Uniqlo.
Must admit I'm relatively new to Uniqlo, last 18 months or so. Any previous venture into the High St has invariably been disappointing, products are typically badly made (and getting worse) from crap fabrics, and either look like sh*t or start to disintegrate after a couple of washes, and were typically despatched to the pile marked 'do one' pretty quickly.

A lot of this is deliberate policy of course, I had a client a few years back in the rag trade whose customer was young girls who'd typically buy something for a night out and had little intention of wearing it three times. If it's cheap enough, it's essentially disposable.

Uniqlo appear to be the exception that proves the rule, the stuff I've seen to date is generally very well-made/finished for the price and their sizing is admirably consistent. The Supima cotton t-shirts and afore-mentioned HeatTech trousers are particular standouts to my eye. One can only hope it's not all made by seven year old North Korean schoolgirls in a sealed underground bunker somewhere.

I have some nice clothes. I bought some specially made linen and had it made up into bespoke shirts by Mr Butcher at Budd. I also had a nice bespoke tweed overcoat made.

However I usually am wearing a Helly Hansen base layer or T shirt and a fleece, with some old Hiut jeans.

Has the silly trend for skinny fit trousers gone away? I bought some chinos a little while ago, every time I stand up I have to pull the legs back down. They are not skinny fit, they are supposed to be "regular fit" and the loosest fit available in 3 shops, and I had to go up a size, but they're still too sodding tight.

They sell out in minutes and then get ‘flipped’ on eBay for much more.

This is great:

Damn! I visited the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka a few years back. I should have stocked up on some of the merchandise! :(

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Must admit I'm relatively new to Uniqlo, last 18 months or so. Any previous venture into the High St has invariably been disappointing, products are typically badly made (and getting worse) from crap fabrics, and either look like sh*t or start to disintegrate after a couple of washes, and were typically despatched to the pile marked 'do one' pretty quickly.

A lot of this is deliberate policy of course, I had a client a few years back in the rag trade whose customer was young girls who'd typically buy something for a night out and had little intention of wearing it three times. If it's cheap enough, it's essentially disposable.

Uniqlo appear to be the exception that proves the rule, the stuff I've seen to date is generally very well-made/finished for the price and their sizing is admirably consistent. The Supima cotton t-shirts and afore-mentioned HeatTech trousers are particular standouts to my eye. One can only hope it's not all made by seven year old North Korean schoolgirls in a sealed underground bunker somewhere.

Uniqlo are generally very good but it’s strange that their UT t-shirts vary in quality with some thinner/thicker than others. Sizing is consistent. As with everything else, prices have crept upwards.

I bought a two-tone grey +J cashmere cardigan from Uniqlo 15 years ago and it’s still in like-new condition. Quite a thick gauge yarn, unlike the thin stuff you get these days…

I hadn't thought of that.

Don't really like tattoos, though.
Well my instinct is 'not in a million years,' but the times they are a-changing.

I have a (platonic) friend, in her mid-thirties, who would have a legitimate claim to be one of the most beautiful women I've ever made the acquaintance of, who rarely wears anything I'd recognise as make-up. But she has permanently tattooed eyeliner. When she first told me I wasn't sure if it was a wind-up, but apparently it's a real thing.

Sometimes it's good to put down the RS catalogue and see what's going on out there... ;-)

Uniqlo chinos are also excellent. I have a few of their merino wool jumpers, nice but a bit delicate.

Weekday are also better than average.

Work, gone from a suit and tie 2000-10, chinos and shirt 2011-22 to Company Polo and jeans now, basically done the same job in all that time. My old boss disapproved when I stopped wearing a tie but never had the balls to say anything until he was drunk.

Home, joggers, T-shirts and Crocs (indoor and outdoor pairs). I’ll even go to the supermarket dressed like that now, only happened in the last year.

Socially, was always Polo Shirt, Jeans and boots, trainers or Vans. I have a vast number of polos, mainly Lacoste. I have recently moved on to sweatshirts and jumpers as I have started to feel the cold.
Usually wear chinos and shirts for restaurants or theatre.

Not a fan of coats, I often wear a gilet and hoodie instead but bought a Barbour a couple of years ago and do like that. I have a Musto Puffer Jacket if it’s really cold.

Recently binned all my suits bar a ffuneral one and gave a load of barely worn work shirts to charity.

Cheers BB

I buy my clothes onlne and can't remember when I last went clothes shopping. I dress pretty much the same now at 72 as I have since I was 20. No more jeans though and now wear cords and cargo trousers. Above it's t-shirts, Wrangler denim shirts and a check Levi shirt, all worn unbuttoned and outside my trousers. More formal wear, if you can call it that, is collarless linen shirts with a Brook Tavener navy suit jacket, dark brown cords and brown Skecher suede chukka boots. Also wear a pair Skecher chukka boots when I'm out and about. I do have a suit for weddings and funerals...mostly the latter these days unfortunately. Jacket is a Barbour Border bought used off ebay.

Once had some Uniqlo T's once, didn't last very long. Always thought they were a bit low quality - dark colours faded quickly

Most of my wears (T's, mids, bottoms) are from Nike, they fit me, they last forever and you can get them for a decent price from the outlet shop in KingsX.

Trainers are NB at the moment, seem quite good, maybe the quest for minimal footpain trainers has ended.....

Has the silly trend for skinny fit trousers gone away? I bought some chinos a little while ago, every time I stand up I have to pull the legs back down. They are not skinny fit, they are supposed to be "regular fit" and the loosest fit available in 3 shops, and I had to go up a size, but they're still too sodding tight.

No, the trend in Mens jeans is still skinny fit. I have been trying for years to get something wide leg. Women are catered for with wide leg jeans from about 3 years ago.
Levi’s, Wrangler and all the high st. shops don’t stock wide leg/Flares for Men, but I did find some online - see opening post with amazon link.
Supermarkets like M&S/ Sainsbury’s do not sell anything remotely wide legged, but do sell a ‘Boot-leg’ cut which has a small Flare but not that wide in reality.

The jeans I purchased last week from amazon have an 11” flare.

Here in Rome standard-cut Levi's 501s are available everywhere. What they call "straight cut," I believe. They cost about 100 - 150 Euro.
Another thing that has become difficult is finding jeans that are not "elasticised." But Levi's still make them and probably others.

No, the trend in Mens jeans is still skinny fit. I have been trying for years to get something wide leg. Women are catered for with wide leg jeans from about 3 years ago.
Levi’s, Wrangler and all the high st. shops don’t stock wide leg/Flares for Men, but I did find some online - see opening post with amazon link.
Supermarkets like M&S/ Sainsbury’s do not sell anything remotely wide legged, but do sell a ‘Boot-leg’ cut which has a small Flare but not that wide in reality.

Have a look at Gant, they have a (small) range of loose/relaxed fit jeans and chinos.

Have a look at Gant, they have a (small) range of loose/relaxed fit jeans and chinos.

Not flared enough for me. John Lewis stock Gant and the jeans I saw a couple of weeks ago were no good.
It is promising that they are introducing wider leg though.

What I would like in the description of the jeans is a measurement of the leg hem - that would help a great deal.

The skinny trouser is still dominant but cracks are starting to show (if you know what I mean), mostly because young people don't won't to look like crusty old millennials (ha!) If you look at what young people are wearing these days, it's mostly "nineties" jeans - very baggy and shapeless. It's having a knock on effect and it's now much easier to find wide or straight leg trousers in a range of styles - again, look at Uniqlo, mostly quite wide there. Shops and brands catering mostly for millennials and X-ers will be a bit behind.

A lot of verbiage could be saved if people just posted that they look like hi fi nerds.
Barring a few outliers that would do for everyone so far.

The skinny trouser is still dominant but cracks are starting to show (if you know what I mean), mostly because young people don't won't to look like crusty old millennials (ha!) If you look at what young people are wearing these days, it's mostly "nineties" jeans - very baggy and shapeless. It's having a knock on effect and it's now much easier to find wide or straight leg trousers in a range of styles - again, look at Uniqlo, mostly quite wide there. Shops and brands catering mostly for millennials and X-ers will be a bit behind.
Well, I'm staying out of the shops until it changes. They just don't fit. I have big thighs for my size, with the cycling etc, and tight jeans are grim. I used to have a pair of Levi 550, they were loose fit. 90s style as stated. I'd go back to that in a heartbeat.More recently most people's "comfort" fit jeans were OK before everything went skinny and men started walking around looking like frogs.

all the young people in my local (lots of them) - are in skinny jeans or motion wear or leisure wear. Its 50 somethings (apart from me) adopting looser styles

Here in Rome standard-cut Levi's 501s are available everywhere. What they call "straight cut," I believe. They cost about 100 - 150 Euro.

That is what I always wore through the ‘80s, in black. 30W, 34L were a nice easy fit at that age. I knew they fitted, so just hunted all around town for the best price. Doc Martens to complete the look, though in hindsight they were pretty uncomfortable and badly made things. I used to go through DMs pretty fast (soles split under the ball of the foot), but I did walk a lot (couldn’t afford busses or taxies!). I’m a little chunkier now, but certainly no Clarkson. I really can’t be bothered paying proper money for something neither I nor anyone else cares about these days, so no Levis. I just tend to buy supermarket jeans whenever they have a half-decent cut in my size in black, which is very infrequently (the racks suggest the locals are low and wide!). Whenever they do I buy several pairs. I tend to buy shoes in the local Clarks sale now, but I do, irrationally, fancy a pair of RedWings.

FWIW I’ve still (theoretically) got the same hairstyle too; a #2, though next to nothing on top now. Since covid I’ve done it myself with a cheap but surprisingly good pair of Wahl clippers. I‘m amazed it took a global pandemic to figure out I don’t need to go through the awful experience of visiting a barber!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
all the young people in my local (lots of them) - are in skinny jeans or motion wear or leisure wear. Its 50 somethings (apart from me) adopting looser styles
I ride through New Cross several times a week. Half the Goldsmiths students milling around are in baggy stonewash jeans. It's like a 90s flashback.

I guess there's more than one type of Young People.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back