advertisement

Melco Devices

mickhick1

pfm Member
I am interested in hearing from other Melco users, of their experience with them, from a networking point of view.

I have a Melco N100, which I control with the Linn Kazoo app on my Windows 11 laptop. The sound quality from it is easily the best of my streaming devices, via USB to a Denafrips Pontus II, but the stability of it’s networking is poor. Frequently, when I first come to use it, the laptop can’t see it and I have to go through a number of reboots of it before it reappears, which is very frustrating.

I have an LMS based streaming system, which utilises a Sonore Microrendu, and this maintains connection, as does a SBT in my office, practically faultlessly. Is this the experience of others, is there some secret to making this stable?

What are others experiences?

My melco works faultlessly and has done since it was plugged in - lots of other things misbehave on the network from time to time, but not that one. Maybe something to do with the way you have it all connected up?

Try a wired connection.
Most only work with a wired connection, they don't use wi-fi.

Mine can lose connection to the Linn Kazoo app. I use. When I first access the Melco, it's fine, and if I leave the app. open on my iPad/iPhone it stays connected. but if I shut the app. down then it often can't seem to find the Melco again. I don't think it's the Melco at fault though, rather the Linn app. or maybe something on the network. I should maybe use the actual Melco app., which does seem to be more reliable but I prefer Kazoo.

As Tony says, it is wired ethernet only, no wifi, and the symptoms are pretty much the same too, so maybe it is the Kazoo app. Unfortunately the Melco app is IOS only and I have android devices.

I may have misunderstood, but I would prove that the Melco is visible on the network before worrying about the apps. Using something like Fing app. Can you ping your Melco? Can you see files on it with Windows Explorer or whatever?
I use my Melco via Ethernet. It still becomes invisible occasionally and has to be rebooted. (I use Mac).

I use the Linn App on an Apple iPhone with my Melco server and experience occasional connection problems. Broadly the app reports being unable to find the server. Normally closing and restarting the app sorts the problem (or more rarely a reboot of the Melco server). It's intermittent so not attributable to any repeatable activity than I can see. I'd prefer to use the Melco App in case it is better but it's only available for the iPad and not the iPhone. Another benefit of the Melco App is access to vTuner for radio which I don't get with the Linn app. Still the Linn App works more often than not so definitely bearable with an iPhone for me. Sounds like a laptop is worse...

Kazoo is a decent app, but it's not the most stable one, spinning wheel and waiting for room is a common issue. What controller mode is your N100 set to? It's in the USB DAC sub menu, Kazoo needs the Melco to be set to Playlist Mode, it will work on Hybrid Mode to a degree, but Playlist Mode will make the app much more stable.

JPLAY for iOS devices is better than the Linn apps and is more stable in my experience, but not free, Bubble is the best Android app and rock solid too.

Because I'm very often sat at my Mac computer when listening, the Linn Kazoo app. that's available for this (the older version) never loses connection.

I can always see the Melco on the network, so the problem does seem to be with Kazoo. Interestingly enough, once my iPad Kazoo's lost the Melco I can make it see that again by switching to the Melco app., selecting the Melco, then returning to Kazoo, then it's fine again. Also, if I leave Kazoo open, it will eventually reconnect to the Melco after a few minutes.

Thanks for the recommendation of JPLAY Mr Audio Therapy, I'll maybe give that a try; and you're right about Bubble uPnP - I occasionally use it with a spare Android pad. Shame they don't offer it for iOS.

Because I'm very often sat at my Mac computer when listening, the Linn Kazoo app. that's available for this (the older version) never loses connection.

I can always see the Melco on the network, so the problem does seem to be with Kazoo. Interestingly enough, once my iPad Kazoo's lost the Melco I can make it see that again by switching to the Melco app., selecting the Melco, then returning to Kazoo, then it's fine again. Also, if I leave Kazoo open, it will eventually reconnect to the Melco after a few minutes.

Thanks for the recommendation of JPLAY Mr Audio Therapy, I'll maybe give that a try; and you're right about Bubble uPnP - I occasionally use it with a spare Android pad. Shame they don't offer it for iOS.
After a recommendation by David of Audio Therapy I swapped to JPlay with my Melco. It is a great app and well worth a try !!

It's useful being on the Mac I must say, JPLAY gives you a 14 day trial from memory before the app store charges you, the Melco controller mode needs changing to UPnP/DLNA mode for it work :)

It seems like I am not alone with my issues.
Last evening I tried various options. All tried from the same location, the sofa in my lounge.
1. Kazoo on my W11 Laptop, fine but did disconnect at one point and took around 10 minutes before re-establishing connection.
2. My Daughter downloaded and installed the Melco app on her Ipad, it couldn't find the N100, but I need to go back and try again as the N100 was set to Playlist and then Hybrid mode, should have tried UPnP/DLNA.
3. Tried Bubble on an Android tablet, couldn't find the N100.
4. Tried Kazoo on the same Android tablet, couldn't find the N100.
5. Tried the latest Linn app, couldn't find the N100, but I don't think it is compatible anyway.

I haven't got Roon and don't want to fork out for it.

All the time, on windows explorer the unit is visible.

The new Linn app works fine on the Melco, no stability issues that I've seen with the new app.

Have you rebooted your router and whatever DAC you have Melco connected to? Kazoo can be flakey, but Bubble is always very stable in my experience.

This morning I decided, before trying JPLAY, I'd give the Melco app. a proper try. I'd gone to it momentarily last night as a means to get Linn Kazoo to see the Melco (see my previous post). Even though the Melco had been switched off it connected immediately, showing the same album as last night, immediately played, and despite putting the iPad to sleep it immediately carried on playing where it left off and has remained rock-solid all day so far.

The new Linn app works fine on the Melco, no stability issues that I've seen with the new app.

Have you rebooted your router and whatever DAC you have Melco connected to? Kazoo can be flakey, but Bubble is always very stable in my experience.
This isn't a recent issue, it's been that way since I first got it around 14/15 months ago. In that time I have several times given up on it and gone back to the microrendu/LMS and had no issues. The Melco does sound better though, hence returning to it and trying to get a stable solution.
The DAC is a Pontus II, the Melco is connected by the dedicated USB out to a Denafrips Iris and then I2S to the Pontus.
When I tried the latest Linn app last evening, it did come up with an error message, but I can't remember what it was. I'll give it a go again this evening.

This isn't a recent issue, it's been that way since I first got it around 14/15 months ago. In that time I have several times given up on it and gone back to the microrendu/LMS and had no issues. The Melco does sound better though, hence returning to it and trying to get a stable solution.
The DAC is a Pontus II, the Melco is connected by the dedicated USB out to a Denafrips Iris and then I2S to the Pontus.
When I tried the latest Linn app last evening, it did come up with an error message, but I can't remember what it was. I'll give it a go again this evening.
Try your router settings for FGMP snooping - ‘on’ and a sub-30 second frequency.

Some network devices are ‘lazy’ in this regard, e.g. Melco, Auralic.

advertisement

Back