advertisement

media player sq

mark.king

pfm Member
Well I must admit I am confused. I've been using foobar with asio4all for audio and xbmc for video. Now I did a test with xbmc using wasapi and foobar using asio4all and foobar sounded significantly better.OK I can accept that as two different drivers.

Anyway I downloaded jriver to see what it was like as I could do asio and video so not needing two media players. Well totally shocked that foobar and jriver sound totally different both using the asio4all driver. Why is that? Initial listening and I am leaning towards jriver. It seems a little fuller.

I don't get why they sound so different. Has anyone else done tests? I'm using an audiolab mdac over USB.
Cheers

Its a strange one, I also found a big improvement over iTunes recently when moving to my Olive 4HD which runs on a form of Linux, and IIRC, It's OS is developed by Media Monkey.

Foobar passes the bit perfect test as does jriver so why would they sound different using the same driver. Also I am not using a sound card but using USB into the mdac

Dare I ask "how" they sound different and indeed which, if any , you prefer?

I have both, but in different systems and wonder whether I too should experiment......

cheers

Ian

I'm sat here wondering why I bother

I have a mac mini running itunes to an AV Amp through HDMI

and the SQ is significantly better if I wifi the music to an Apple TV connected to another HDMI socket

time for a lie down

Dave

Already Squeezebox Classic was bit-perfect - some people compared the data flow on spdif with original data, but the spdif output of SBT connected to the same DAC sounds better ...
It looks that we are getting the same data (or bits if you like), but they are probably some time (clock) fluctuations causing jitter etc and this affects the sound.

Someone on the Naim forum reckoned their tuner was better than their CDX2. When someone pointed out that radio station(s) could be using a £250 Technics CD player, members were jointly baffled that sending it over FM then into a tuner could somehow make it 'better' than a direct CD player. But said member was adamant. Either his ears were shot, he was bonkers, or sound sometimes sounds 'better' when it is 'different', not necessarily technically 'better'.

advertisement

Back