advertisement

Measurements - Tannoy Stirling HE

Looks like the port stuffing helps a lot. If you're like me you will want to boost the whole bass range a tad to compensate for the lack of any peaks from room modes. Totally flat tends to sound a bit thin IME. I guess most music is mastered expecting some room gain.

Now you have the ability to measure and review results you might as well get a manual EQ system and tune precisely. I like to use the DEQ2496 which has parametric EQ banks (better than the graphic EQ for DRC). MiniDSP will allow that too, I think and they have that Dirac system I've never used.

Hoops,

Can you post the waterfall, I would like to see how the antimode has dealt with the room resonances.

BTW I have used the dirac system (running on a PC as source feeding a usb DAC), it certainly works and is "tuneable".

I will post some later tonight when I get home from work.

I have used the MiniDSP 2x4 board before in a previous DIY Active Speaker project, its extremely good value. The MiniDSP has PEQ :)

One thing I did not expect was the port stuffing to reduce the troughs at ~240Hz, 350Hz, 430Hz and around 500Hz.

When 'port stuffing' pay very close attention to the midrange and general 'life' of the sound. Much as Im not a reflex port fan I usually find attempting to modify a speaker designed from the outset to use them is pretty disasterous. The Tannoy driver is a bespoke unit that will have been designed to work in that environment/with that amount of physical resistance.

advertisement

Back