advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried various inputs to my MDAC (and previous DACs). I'm now convinced that any difference heard between bit perfect sources is more likely to be spurious noise effects than the transfer of the 1s and the 0s. However, I found that the Linn DS was better than the Squeezebox Touch when both were using SPDIF coax. Via optical the difference seemed to disappear, though I felt it was inferior to coax (but that may be bias) - I now use SBT via USB and the triode mods, and its at least the equal of Linn DS via coax, so that's my final solution. Cheap USB cables, a cheap hub and an Olimex isolator.

Definitely agree comparing up to the Linn Majik, and including up to the NAIM NDX... Models above those, I thought had better musicality... But certainly makes the SBT and MDAC an amazing value for money combination!

Hi Fred,

The Creek CD/DAC/Pre will be launched first followed by the BDAC.

The BDAC looses the CD transport, but gains an FM/AM digital radio & possibly a Bluetooth module...

Thanks allot John!
Can I ask you for a release date of the Pre/dac?
Q2/ 2013?

-------
regards
f.s.

Thanks, good to know I'm not alone ;)

I'll get my speakers warmed up soon, no doubt you're right, but for the record, you haven't heard headphone bass until you've heard LCD2. We're not talking Beats by Dr Dre here :D. I heard some Stax once, but I found the staging really weird, not 'right' to my ears at all (I thought the same about the senn hd800) The LCD2 has a slightly compressed stage compared to some other top flight 'phones, but the T1 is great in that regard. Pop over anytime to hear the headphone rig :) /dom

Has someone tried Hifiman HE300 or 400 headphones ? I'm looking for a complement to my shure 950 closed and sony xba 3 in hear.

br

Thanks, good to know I'm not alone ;)

I'll get my speakers warmed up soon, no doubt you're right, but for the record, you haven't heard headphone bass until you've heard LCD2. We're not talking Beats by Dr Dre here :D. I heard some Stax once, but I found the staging really weird, not 'right' to my ears at all (I thought the same about the senn hd800) The LCD2 has a slightly compressed stage compared to some other top flight 'phones, but the T1 is great in that regard. Pop over anytime to hear the headphone rig :) /dom

Is there a kind of relation in your opinion about soundstage and the not direct link between stereo and binaural sound treatment ?

br

I've always had problems with the lower frequencies being to "boomy", caused by a less than optimal listening room acoustics.
This has irritated me to great extents, but I have to factor in, that my wife uses the living room as well, so no egg-trays on the walls for me unfortunately.

Somehow the upgraded M-DAC has reduced this problem to a minimum, which must mean that the problem is not just with the acoustics of the room. The entire reproduction of the lower frequencies have been tightened up, and that's the second word, that comes to my mind, tightness.

Jannik, I really enjoyed reading your update, and your comments re: the taming of the bass struck a particular chord as you've exactly described an issue I have with my own room/system.

Is this something any of the other "ugradees" have noticed?

Looking forward even more to the MPAX now :)

Is there a kind of relation in your opinion about soundstage and the not direct link between stereo and binaural sound treatment ?

br

I cannot get my head around headphones - they just sound so unnatural - my "brain" will not allow me to believe I'm listening to anything but headphones on my head - never giving me that Live concert experience...

I tried "Crossfade" but helped little to recreate a sound stage...

Thank you John
I just sent you a PM but I don't see it in my "Sent" folder
Did you recieve it?

Hi jpavos,

I received your PM.

The MDAC's output impedance is less then 1 ohm, so will have no problem driving both loads.

I suggest connect both the sub and monitors via the XLR's. It would be better to go first to the Monitors then Sub, maybe you could have lead specially made?

You mention input sensitivity levels of the Sub, but in reality you will need to adjust the sub's level to match the output level of the monitors.

I don't see an issue - you don't meed to get hung up with the impedance and sensitivity numbers, I don't see any reason why your Sub's and monitors will not work well with the MDAC.

John

Hi jpavos,

I have your PM.

The MDAC's output impedance is less then 1 ohm, so will have no problem driving both loads.

I suggest connect both the sub and monitors via the XLR's. It would be better to go first to the Monitors then Sub, maybe you could have lead specially made?

You mention input sensitivity levels of the Sub, but in reality you will need to adjust the sub's level to match the output level of the monitors.

I don't see an issue - you don't meed to get hung up with the impedance and sensitivity numbers, I don't see any reason why your Sub's and monitors will not work well with the MDAC.

John

Thank you very much for reading my mail. Sorry for bothering you, I'm not so technically informed, so that's why I wanted for someone to explain it to me.
I know it would be better to go first to the monitors, but I don't have outputs on them. That's why I wanted to ask you, does it will help an XLR splitter?
And then, what about the audio signal strenght?

Thank you very much for reading my mail. Sorry for bothering you, I'm not so technically informed, so that's why I wanted for someone to explain it to me.
I know it would be better to go first to the monitors, but I don't have outputs on them. That's why I wanted to ask you, does it will help an XLR splitter?
And then, what about the audio signal strenght?

Yes, an XLR splitter well work OK, and there well be no noticeable reduction in signal level.

Yes, an XLR splitter well work OK, and there well be no noticeable reduction in signal level.

Thank you John, again.
So now I must to go to buy the MDAC :)
Is it possible to modify the MDAC to include one more pair of XLR output connectors?

Hi Jannik,

Thank you for the feedback. How do you like your Lyngdorf Amp?

The reason I ask, a friend has one and asked me to see if I could improve it as he felt the HF was a touch "hard"

When I measured the unit it had a peak in its response at 20kHz - which I could not understand... it turns out that there had been a error during assembly - and a couple of Capacitors had been mistakenly interchanged - I'm guessing during the SMD process... however the error affected BOTH channels so this tend to suggest a BOM error...

Once I had correct the manufacturing error, the treble really improved, lost the tendency to sound bright and hard... IIRC the peak was only about +1.5dB but was clearly audioable...

I cannot say if it was a one-off production batch error - or if the error todate has still gone unnoticed...

If I had a Lyngdorf I'd bypass the whole input section, and just use the Power Amplifier, which has a Balanced input - if your ever feel the need for an upgrade - then I'd happily modify your amp :) It would give me a chance to try it on my CLS's :)

It looks like the Amplifier's Class D stage has been designed by Lars Risbo - who now heads TI's division in Denmark.

Hi John,

I'm actually a very happy camper with my Lyngdorf amp.
I immediately bought it after my first encounter with it after some failed attempts at trying different amplifiers in my home.

It's sound characteristic fits my taste right on the head of the nail, and I've not since heard anything that could push it off it's pedistal in my mind. We are all different, thank god, and some find the Lyngdorf sound much too forward and harsh.
I have never heard an amp, that adds so little to the soundstage. It simply amplifies what it is being fed and nothing else.

Thank you for offering to upgrade it, however :) I would not take away any more of your time, riscing to angry the mob who's waiting for your other products. ;)

BTW., bypassing the input section is not necessary on the Lyngdorf. You could simply just use the SDA-2175 which is the exact same amp, but without the input section.

Jannik, I really enjoyed reading your update, and your comments re: the taming of the bass struck a particular chord as you've exactly described an issue I have with my own room/system.

Thank you for the kind words.
Struggling with room acoustics is an absolute pain. I've realised that I will not solve this problem until we move and I get a "listening room" just for myself, where kids and wife are not allowed to have any influence whatsoever.

In my current setup, changing the digital interconnect between my M-DAC and Airport Express from a stock cheap optical one to a 40€ one had an equal changing effect to the sound, judging with my ears.

Yes, I have. I only have Sovereign+ upgrade, not DC, but noiced the same thing with the bass, what I initially thought was lighter prese
ntation was in fact more controlled bass. The whole soundstage is now MASSIVE especially on orchestral music (Carmen-Suite Berliner Philharmoniker, H.von Karajan)
We compared our units with Misterdog yesterday and you can clearly hear the difference. Even if that was final upgrade without taking MPAX into consideration I think it is Definetely worth it. Maybe Paul can chime in on his observations from last night.
Regards
Peter

Thank you John, again.
So now I must to go to buy the MDAC :)
Is it possible to modify the MDAC to include one more pair of XLR output connectors?

I'm afraid that if you take a look at the MDAC's rear panel you will see there is no space to add an extra pair of XLR outputs - sorry,

John

Yes, I have. I only have Sovereign+ upgrade, not DC, but noiced the same thing with the bass, what I initially thought was lighter presentation was in fact more controlled bass.

While the Bass is so much tighter and controlled - I think its just a tad too lean for my personal preference - this has always been my concern with the update. However, the "DC upgraded" unit's retain the tightness and Bass control but add a "leading edge" impact to the Bass if that makes sense... I'd say the Sovereign+ mainboard update is the first step - and I'm "Hoping" the full MPAX PSU will release the little beasts full potential based upon the results of a simple DC PSU.

The whole soundstage is now MASSIVE especially on orchestral music (Carmen-Suite Berliner Philharmoniker, H.von Karajan)

Yep - for me its the biggest improvement (and maybe the defogging of the midband resolution).

Obviously we ask ourselves what caused the improvement, and I'd make an educated judgement that the reduction in Digital processing related spurie products observed on the ESS DAC's digital PSU rails must also reduce the ESS's internal clock Jitter levels - its this "presumed" reduction in internal clock "Noise" that opens up the sound stage.

I have ALWAYS and without fail observed a widening of sound stage when spurie related Jitter is reduced.

If I'd had to sum up the current status of the update - I'd without hesitation go for the wider sound stage presentation, greater resolution, defogging of the mid-band and tightening of the Bass - just a shame to have lost a little "body" - roll on MPAX :) and figures crossed!

I don't in anyway want to say the standard MDAC is bad, IMO its a brilliant little beast, however we are talking about improving a product. If we are honest with ourselves then everything in life can be improved... just some more then others :D

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back