advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John, many thanks for the reply.

I know it might have sounded like I was moaning but the reality is I've found the(se) threads really interesting and useful.

Keep up the good work mate!

And to everyone that' sreceived the upgrade, would you pay £200 for it?

:) Hey, recently I seem to spend my time moaning - I'll be a lot happier Bunny when some of these designs are completed! Oh and our Lab / offices have been built :) ...

There is no rush.. I have an alternative dac I finished building a week ago in use and have only just started working on the PSU.. So whenever suits you really. :)

Ooooh don't say that! endless timeline... Lets say I'll get your unit out early part next week - after the weekend... :)

Dom (gh0st) has a DC modified unit which is a step-up over the standard Sovereign mods...

No fear! I'm back from my business trip and have the Beast safely back in my possession. PSU rewire is tomorrow evening's job, impressions to follow shortly... Very much looking forward to it :D

/dom

No fear! I'm back from my business trip and have the Beast safely back in my possession. PSU rewire is tomorrow evening's job, impressions to follow shortly... Very much looking forward to it :D

/dom

How come you, realysm42 and Sam are still awake at this time of night? !!! I thought it would be just me!

Looking forward to your results...

John warned about shipping from Singapore to Czech:

"Its going to be hard to get your unit from Singapore into Czech Rep. Customs here in the Czech Rep. are a real pain." - John

that's a real shame then.... need to send to relatives in the UK to repack it and send to Czech rep .... lots of work ....

realysm42,

Developing the MAMP exhausted me mentally - 5 months sat in front of the computer simulating and developing the amplifiers architecture. I'm more of a "hands on" person, working on the lab bench rather then stuck in front of the computer 17 hours a day 7 days a week... I'm sure I have no need to explain how that can sap ones will to continue!

Unfortunitly, the updates take me about 4 to 5 hours each - its very fiddly and mind numbingly boring work.

John
When I read this, the occupational health professional in me just hopes that you have regular means of putting yourself at a therapeutic distance from your work. We would all like to have you around for many more years !!

Jan

When I read this, the occupational health professional in me just hopes that you have regular means of putting yourself at a therapeutic distance from your work. We would all like to have you around for many more years !!

Jan

Hi Jan,

Are you joking - distance??? well does crawling to bed count :p What else would I want to do??? although I really hate having to design the PCB's...

Its odd, but when I'm not thinking / working then I get very tired - its as if "thinking" gives me energy - keeps me awake; the second I stop I feel fatigued, sleepy... maybe its how my body's been trained over the years... and now back to work...

rtrt - even worst is 4am for you in the UK or worst 5am in CE!

i'd say 5am is worst - verging on the time where it's 'not worth bothering to go to bed' :eek:

having said that thanks for the reminder JW - 4 is def time for me to depart

And to everyone that' sreceived the upgrade, would you pay £200 for it?

This is a tough question to answer. I'd say yes. I never had so much fun listining to music ever.

I'm a happy bunny these days :D

Really looking forward to MAMP and MPAX (and MTRN).

How come you, realysm42 and Sam are still awake at this time of night? !!! I thought it would be just me!

Looking forward to your results...

Writing software for my arduino in a bid to get it working as a display for my next preamp project.... No work for me this Friday so might as well Do something I enjoy... (geek at heart)

Hi John,
Sorry if this comes at a crazy time for you, but was wondering what the state of play is with the CDQ+ upgrade you mentioned some time ago? The degree to which you were planning to rebuild and improve an already excellent machine was extremely appealing...
All the best, Duncan
PS - Wailin' Jennies was a great recommendation. Thanks for that one too.

I'd like to hear from Dom and Jannik on there impressions of the Sovereign updates... Dom (gh0st) has a DC modified unit which is a step-up over the standard Sovereign mods...

John

Hi John,

Powering the MDAC with an external DC supply and improving things sound ok,
but I'm trying to understand why removing the internal rectifier would make such a big difference as well :confused:
I mean, it's just removing a voltage drop (probably 2 for a bridge) to the internal regulators, but since these diodes won't be switching anymore when fed with DC, I don't see how this would influence sound, except for running the internal regulators at some higher voltage, having a bit more dissipation etc.

I was up painting a model dragon for my girlfriend/s birthday (Sunday). I'm here now andnot at work as the job continues...

I see the M-DAC has won the EISA Award European D/A Converter of the year 2012-2013.

Congrats John and Dom on yet another award :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back