advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, that helps a lot. Will the later updates enventually be officially supplied with new MDACs or will they just remain optional, ie does Audiolab think 0.9 is good enough? Why is there no support for this on the Audiolab site?

John and Dominik no longer work for Audiolab. They were only hired as consultants to design certain products. The later versions of the firmware were developed as a personal project, outside of Audiolab.

Fusion forwarded this to me... Some close-up internal pictures...

I have no idea who this company is...

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.hoer-wege.de/audiolab_mdac.htm

Interesting...

John

Interesting indeed :)

All connectors and wiring are replaced,
So they replace all Johwn selected Chinese electrolytics with Panasonic FM's, bypassed with smd foil capacitors on the solder side.
**EDIT** seems they don't touch the elco's around the ESS chip.

And another 5 capacitors in the main (pre) power supply, mechanically "kitted" to the pcb.

Sounds like a "normal" replacement of parts upgrade, increasing overall capacitance everywhere, using alledgedly better parts, wiring, solder with silver etc.

Hee, John, I got some of these "special" Murata 22uF and 47uF SMD capacitors that measure quite good (DIYHIFI forum). I'm tempted to place these near the ESS9018 chip. I guess all digital consumers are good candidates for some additional bypassing with these Murata's ? I realize paralleling could cause some additional problems, but assume they won't interfere when place across the elco's, and have some farther distance from the really near smd bypass caps that are probably 805 or smaller (actually, I see some "wide" 603 smd's near the ESS I think).
Still haven't popped the lid yet :p

Hi all,

I'm trying to make all of the living room gadgets a bit more wife friendly. One idea was to have all powered music related items I.e. mdac, amp and sources to be plugged into one remote controlled power socket, with everything switched on on the devices. So when you switch on the mains, everything is on and ready to play.

Is this potentially damaging to the mdac? Should I always power on from the device? Or could I make it safer with a surge protector or mains conditioner?

Hi all,

I'm trying to make all of the living room gadgets a bit more wife friendly. One idea was to have all powered music related items I.e. mdac, amp and sources to be plugged into one remote controlled power socket, with everything switched on on the devices. So when you switch on the mains, everything is on and ready to play.

Is this potentially damaging to the mdac? Should I always power on from the device? Or could I make it safer with a surge protector or mains conditioner?

I turn all my hifi off at the wall when not in use, setup very similar.. two wall sockets, one does tv stuff, other does hifi stuff.
No problems so far. :)

Sam

Hi all,

This is exactly how I run my system: I use as BBSB switch and you just prod the iphone, ipad, ipod touch, and the whole system bursts into life. By the time you've booted the control software for the streamer, the power amp is warming up and the MDAC is ready to go. Works fine.

I leave my on all the time...looks like Christmas all year round when turning the lights off and going to bed mind you...not very green nor very economic I fear, but Naim kit sounds ruff when cold.

Sure! The reason I asked John to take the photos is that I don't want to open my MDAC again when he is done. And maybe the updates are even visible :)

Maybe John should have asked people to send some Torx bits as well as the OP-amps :D

I have some small Torx screws at work which have been over torqued in the factory. I find that using a Torx bit and tapping (lumping) it with a small hammer first aids removal !!

Bugger if your a bad shot though :mad:

John

Based on your comments below, I'd like your views on an idea of mine please.

Fusion forwarded this to me... Some close-up internal pictures...

I have no idea who this company is...

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.hoer-wege.de/audiolab_mdac.htm

Interesting...

John

I've been holding off buying an M-DAC because of the following concerns:

- having to ship it to / from you for updates and fixes;

- it seeming to be rather unreliable with the crystal, sticking relay and broken connector problems (I know you quoted only 1% failure rate but I believe that that was relatively soon after the product was on the market);

- the delay of 6 months before the PSU upgrade (MPAX) will be available.

But I'm wondering whether the above mentioned German retailer - or another - might be able to help. Perhaps you could give them schematics of upgrades that you envision and they could do the soldering, freeing you to concentrate on things like MAMP and other new products.

Personally I'd be willing to pay €200 or €300 or maybe even more for the right upgrades. I'm interested in the following:

1- the 'Sovereign' upgrade;

2- if possible, replacing the crystal with one from a more reliable manufacturer;

3- an improved PSU (this custom version from Red Wine Audio looks interesting though very expensive: http://redwineaudio.com/components/black_lightning )

4- if you think it makes sense then possibly the replacing of key capacitors as per the above German retailer's mod.;

5- replacing the relay with one that is more reliable;

6- anything that might improve SQ of the headphone output.

Given that your plan is to launch various Lakewest products that rely heavily on the M-DAC, it would seem sensible to have some partner who can do some of the grunt work of upgrading the M-DAC.

What do you think?

- it seeming to be rather unreliable with the crystal, sticking relay and broken connector problems (I know you quoted only 1% failure rate but I believe that that was relatively soon after the product was on the market);

You could always buy a Weiss DAC if you think a 1% failure rate equates to unreliability. What is their failure rate ? Does their designer come online and personally sort out your problems, and update your product for free?.

The power supplies you list both cost more than the MDAC itself the MPAX will be around half those prices. (More than 300 euros though)

Mine has been fine since February, sounds sublime and I can happily wait till next year for a power supply and mainboard update. :)

You could always buy a Weiss DAC if you think a 1% failure rate equates to unreliability. What is their failure rate ?

The power supplies you list both cost more than the MDAC itself the MPAX will be around half those prices. (More than 300 euros though)

Mine has been fine since February, sounds sublime and I can happily wait till next year for a power supply and mainboard update. :)

1- As I stated in my previous post I question whether the failure rate is truly 1% given that according to my understanding - which may be wrong - that it was measured too soon after the product was released on market. Some of those may have been only a few days old, some months.

2- As for PSU, I did say that the Red Wine Audio PSU is very expensive. I'm just wondering whether there is something similar that could be done custom. I'm not prepared to wait six months, especially as it could end up being much longer.

3- Yes, I don't doubt the M-DAC is great, which is why I have said I'm prepared to buy it, but am willing to pay more for upgrades. Good as the product is, clearly it could be better which is why the designer is offering certain upgrades himself - and which you have also said you look forward to.

Ether, what makes you think Panasonic FC's are better than the caps that are already in there? They are custom low ESR organic caps. Have the German guys provided measurements of the ESR of both caps?

Ether, what makes you think Panasonic FC's are better than the caps that are already in there? They are custom low ESR organic caps. Have the German guys provided measurements of the ESR of both caps?

I never said anything of the sort. What I actually said was "if you think it makes sense then possibly the replacing of key capacitors as per the above German retailer's mod."

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I've just installed the Triode mods onto my SBT and connected it by USB to my MDAC. Did a blind listening session and my golden eared wife prefers the SBT to the Linn DS. I think this may be due to slight level differences but my SPL meter suggests they are within 1dB. Anyway, I think we can say that there is no significant difference in sound quality. So, I'm going to complete my squeezebox multi room setup before the touch disappears off the shelves and finance it by putting the DS onto eBay.

Anyone interested in "Sheffield Lab Drum & Track Disc"? - highly rated by reviewers. Amazon have it for £28, but I just down loaded FLAC files from http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/search.php?searchString=Sheffield+Lab+Drum+%26+Track+Disc+ for £1.09 per track. Complete album of 6 tracks is £6.74 (first track is £1.29). The first two are drum tracks and very well recorded. On the down side these are 'test' tracks i.e. drum solos, and the following tracks are 80's style MOR.
Bottom line - worth a quid or two for some good quality source material to show off the MDAC capabilities.
PS I've no connection to Presto except as an occasional customer.

I never said anything of the sort. What I actually said was "if you think it makes sense then possibly the replacing of key capacitors as per the above German retailer's mod."

A little touchy aren't you, read my post again. I said 'what makes you think they are better' not that you said that they were better. It's a question not a statement.

A little touchy aren't you, read my post again. I said 'what makes you think they are better' not that you said that they were better. It's a question not a statement.

I did not say I think they are better either. I did not speculate in any way. I have no view which is why I asked JohnW for his opinion in my post.

You'll see I said to JohnW, "if you think..."

Perhaps this is a language issue and you meant to ask, "Do you think they are better?" In which case the answer would have been. "I've no idea. Let's see what JohnW says."

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back