advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin,

Discrete DAC and DDA will be reserved for FDAC due to space limitations of the MDAC2 chassis and the "need" :) to start shipping a design ASAP :)...

John, thanks for the quick reply. I'm sorry I didn't come back straight away but I couldn't get my head round your reply.

Are you saying that MDAC2 will only be available in the basic twin ESS9028Pro version with optional streamer, or will it be available with discrete & DDA versions but without the best analogue stages which will have to wait for FDAC?

Martin

John, thanks for the quick reply. I'm sorry I didn't come back straight away but I couldn't get my head round your reply.

Are you saying that MDAC2 will only be available in the basic twin ESS9028Pro version with optional streamer, or will it be available with discrete & DDA versions but without the best analogue stages which will have to wait for FDAC?

Martin

Martin,

The MDAC2 is available in 3 variants - the streamer is compatible with all 3.

The streamer is an OPTION on the basic MDAC2 (Dual ESS9028PRO) and is required for the MDAC2 Discrete & MDAC2 DD2A

The streamer is an OPTION on the basic MDAC2 (Dual ESS9028PRO) and is required for the MDAC2 Discrete & MDAC2 DD2A

Does "required" (above) mean the streamer is INCLUDED IN the MDAC2 Discrete & MDAC2 DD2A, or does it have to be purchased as an extra. And if the latter, who fits it?
Thanks,
Matt

As far as I understand it. You need an existing MDAC chassis. You then fit the new MDAC2 and Streamer boards yourself. I believe the firmware and software will be preloaded. You'll need a small torx set to open the MDAC chasis. I'm sure John will provide full instructions....and I'm sure others will post a photo-story of the procedure (Misterdog..maybe??).
You will need to buy the Streamer Board for options 2 and 3 it is not included in the price projections previously quoted.

Whaleblue and misterdog: IHNIWYAWA (I have no idea what you are writing about). Is there a course in lost acronyms and daft abbreviations I could take?

Discrete DAC and DDA will be reserved for FDAC due to space limitations of the MDAC2 chassis and the "need" :) to start shipping a design ASAP :)...
BUT WAIT cf the following

There are 3 variants of the MDAC2 upgrade:-
1. Dual ESS9028Pro's (the original planned version).
2. Mainboard as above but with Discrete DAC Daughter board
3. Advanced ESS board with unique mainboard

Variant #3 will be the design released this side of Christmas. After spending many years developing the circuits on variants #1 / #2 a very unique variation became possible with the release of the new HyperStreamII ESS DAC's... It will be very interesting to compare to other designs.

All rather cryptic for the moment, but as soon as the PCB is issued I'll release full details.

No. The one that will be released first is version 3, which requires the streamer...

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3232149&postcount=1011

Everything seems to have gone quiet regarding the Detox. My guess is that’s down to the production costs.

Yes. Got that. But the expression "design released" does not mean delivered (we have gone through all sorts of exciting announcements in the past about circuit design which have been completed and then completed again.)

I just wanted to be clear because it is so marvellously counter-intuitive that the design which is apparently already completed and does not need the streamer should have to wait. Mind you, Detox.

No the MDAC2 variant 3 is not the same as payment stage L3 - so to prevent further confusion I'll rename it the MDAC2 DDA (this is the Quad ESS9038Pro design).

MDAC2 Standard (Dual ES9028Pro)

MDAC2 Discrete (Shares the same mainboard as the MDAC2 standard)

MDAC2 DDA (Quad ESS9038Pro's)

You cannot say that the "Streamer board" is unwanted as its processing power is used on the L2/L3 design irrespective of the PCB's "extra" streaming function.

With L3 you don't need the extra cost of the external HQ PSU - so there is some cost saving here...

No, it will be after Christmas, the Christmas one is what was previously referred to as L3, now known as DDA.

Jeroengrt,

Yes we will Email everyone before we manufacture the first DAC's - offering them a production slot.

As you say, things will be clarified once we are ready to move forward.
So as usual I find myself utterly confused. Can someone help here. Which version of the mdac2 is supposed to be ready by Christmas? Is it the new DDA or the original one. John orginally seemed to say the third option (renamed DDA). I pointed out that this seemed a bit odd, being the new design.

Now it seemed that the DDA is being reserved for the Fdac- what does this mean? I appreciate that I may be foolish but it does not seem to make sense. Granted, I have been on the naughty step for some time as a result of repeated thought crimes, but I would have thought that this concerned everyone

Adam,

AFAIK the DDA (Direct Digital Analogue) allows for "fast" (I know :rolleyes:) production because it doesn't require the HQ PSU and misses some of the rather complex features like the slave interface.

DDA is not reserved for FDAC, only the combination of DDA output stage and discrete DAC will be.

Adam,

AFAIK the DDA (Direct Digital Analogue) allows for "fast" (I know :rolleyes:) production because it doesn't require the HQ PSU and misses some of the rather complex features like the slave interface.

DDA is not reserved for FDAC, only the combination of DDA output stage and discrete DAC will be.
Thanks. I think I follow. Ok, well one can dare to hope. Any idea where the state of board design is for this product?

What John said was that DDA + discrete DAC [in the same DAC] was reserved for FDAC.

Not confusing at all:)
Not for people able to read in the missing words in square brackets and intuit the singular verb, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back