advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly moOde will not happen on the MDAC2 Steamer - I've tried to make contact with Tim the software developer, but he seems to have a Bee up his bonnet for some reason...

I guess Tim fears some mass exploitation of his software by a mean manufacturer!!! shame, as I'd liked the streamer solution to be as flexible as possible....

Still, I'd like to believe most will be happy with our supplied software solution :)

Interesting that the Dacmagic pictured in the Hifi Choice article, is a glaring error as its not the Dacmagic he designed! Bet Cambridge Audio are a bit annoyed about that, although i suppose any publicity etc...

There are a few errors in the article (due to very tight deadlines) - but it captures the spirit of the "designer" :)

There are a few errors in the article (due to very tight deadlines) - but it captures the spirit of the "designer" :)

Funnily enough i still have the Original Cambridge Dac also had the second version too...and the new Dacmagic (in the article, still my favorite). Of course i still have a donor MDAC here too!

Sadly moOde will not happen on the MDAC2 Steamer - I've tried to make contact with Tim the software developer, but he seems to have a Bee up his bonnet for some reason...

I guess Tim fears some mass exploitation of his software by a mean manufacturer!!! shame, as I'd liked the streamer solution to be as flexible as possible....

Still, I'd like to believe most will be happy with our supplied software solution :)

I am a little confused reading this thought Volumio was the chosen solution.
What do mOode have that Volumio does not?
To me it looks like just another flavor of the myriad of MPD based distributions with a slightly different UI.

The way I see it is that if the streamer can support some flavor of MPD, squeezelite and RoonBridge then all important boxes is checked.
And i would expect that both squeezelite and RoonBridge can be installed on the Volumio destro so I presume that this is also possible on the streamer.
It will be the first thing I am going to do when I get my hands on the streamer.:cool:

Hi all,

Its been a very long time since I last posted here; I'm still patiently waiting for MDAC2, although TBH I'm not entirely sure if I'm fully up to date on all payments. JohnW could you please confirm? You should have a black MDAC donor unit for me in your basement somewhere.

In any case, the discrete FPGA-DAC option for MDAC2 is good news (and what I joined for initially in any case, although at that time you spoke of using the FPGA for custom reconstruction filters using the ESS chips). However I'm a little confused wrt. to the 'need' for that PMD200 HDCD chiplet. I thought the idea was to do custom filters using the FPGA.

In any case; please view the below youtube video which I found very educational on the topic of filter design and explains to me the reasons for JohnW's preference and effort wrt. Optimal Transient.

https://youtu.be/84Lb2qQBoMM

I am a little confused reading this thought Volumio was the chosen solution.
What do mOode have that Volumio does not?
To me it looks like just another flavor of the myriad of MPD based distributions with a slightly different UI.

The way I see it is that if the streamer can support some flavor of MPD, squeezelite and RoonBridge then all important boxes is checked.
And i would expect that both squeezelite and RoonBridge can be installed on the Volumio destro so I presume that this is also possible on the streamer.
It will be the first thing I am going to do when I get my hands on the streamer.:cool:

For sure Volumio is our working solution, however I've been asked for moOdle support which I thought was a fairly reasonable request - but boy it seems I have upset the software writer Tim on DiYaudio forum...

He was always rather "stand offish" to my posts & questions which I put down to the fear of being ripped off or some such...

Shame, as competition makes for better software solutions...

We will support Roon when shipped (not sure if this is Roon bridge) - for sure LMS would be cool!

Hi all,

Its been a very long time since I last posted here; I'm still patiently waiting for MDAC2, although TBH I'm not entirely sure if I'm fully up to date on all payments. JohnW could you please confirm? You should have a black MDAC donor unit for me in your basement somewhere.

Peterzz,

Welcome back :) if you paid for a salvaged MDAC then its here with us :) We will go though everyone's payment statues when we are ready to move to production.

The discrete DAC variant will build up the firmware over time, initially the volume control function will be performed by the PMD200 its by far the best "off the shelf" solution... its also the best "digital" filter - if the Optimal transient variant is not used.

For sure Volumio is our working solution, however I've been asked for moOdle support which I thought was a fairly reasonable request - but boy it seems I have upset the software writer Tim on DiYaudio forum...

He was always rather "stand offish" to my posts & questions which I put down to the fear of being ripped off or some such...

Shame, as competition makes for better software solutions...

We will support Roon when shipped (not sure if this is Roon bridge) - for sure LMS would be cool!
Yes it is most likely RoonBridge unless you have send your streamer to Roon to be certified RoonReady.

There is really not much difference between the two it is basically the same thing.
I think the main difference is that the RoonReady version is certified to work by Roon and is preinstalled on the device.

RoonBridge may not be preinstalled, but that is not a problem because it is allowed to do do it during setup either automatically or from a menu. Which means downloading and installing automatically just like a normal OS update. So the user will not really notice a difference.

Yes competition is good but I really do not think it is a good idea to open up for other flavor of the day MPD based distributions before anyone of us got first hand experience with the streamer. And then it is probably still not a good idea.
You can't please everyone! The next thing is someone wanting RuneAudio just because he thinks the name sounds better than volumio :D

Peterzz,

Welcome back :) if you paid for a salvaged MDAC then its here with us :) We will go though everyone's payment statues when we are ready to move to production.

The discrete DAC variant will build up the firmware over time, initially the volume control function will be performed by the PMD200 its by far the best "off the shelf" solution... its also the best "digital" filter - if the Optimal transient variant is not used.

JohnW,

Do you have any updates on product other than this bloody streamer that seems to have taken up all your time now. For god sake John you seem to have time to go out soliciting additional software for the streamer, or help with Pro-Ject forums but you can't find the time to give us a final price on Detox which you premised us over five weeks ago.

Everything else seems to have been set aside for this streamer. This is just getting ridicules. If you are working on PFM projects which we help to fund please let us know.

jadidih,

The Flagship ESS Based MDAC2 variant is progressing well, possibly first PCB's within the next 4 weeks.

This evening I've been working on some Detox modifications - and will issue production PCB files by end of next week - the same for DevDAC and Streamer board.

jadidih,

The Flagship ESS Based MDAC2 variant is progressing well, possibly first PCB's within the next 4 weeks.

This evening I've been working on some Detox modifications - and will issue production PCB files by end of next week - the same for DevDAC and Streamer board.

Thanks John. Glad to hear about MDAC2 but Detox comes first. Please explain to me why we do not have final price (even an estimate) for Detox? What is holding that up?

Also, if you are working on MDAC2 do we have any update on the PSU for it? You can't ship any MDAC2 without the PSU, right?

The Flagship ESS DAC variant is designed to be used with the standard MDAC PSU, but new internal PSU PCB.

It can be upgraded with the HQ PSU when available - important to start shipping the MDAC2 this side of Christmas.

WRT Detox costings, we have too many variables unanswered until we make the first handful of units. I cannot come back for more funds AFTER we have requested payment.

I'll build a small batch first - confirm costings, then request "full" production payments.

My position in line for a level 2 FDAC with £400 paid development fee is up for grabs.
I am asking for £350 to who ever would like to take my place.

The new house has been a bad move nothing but trouble and sucked me dry. Structural and roofing issues outside. Old failing insides and new problems arising everywhere. To top if off the plumbers have butchered the new boiler and heating system not to mention the dream bathroom has become a nightmare. I am withholding payment from the plumbers until it is all fully fixed.

My current DAC and setup will have to suffice for a few years until I am back in the black. The Mrs and bank manager will not be happy with me until we pull out of this hole.

Please pm me if you are willing to take my place.

neep8,

Within the month we will have the prototype MDAC2, I'm sure it will be easier for you then to pass on your position.

Cool.

The Flagship ESS DAC variant is designed to be used with the standard MDAC PSU, but new internal PSU PCB.

It can be upgraded with the HQ PSU when available - important to start shipping the MDAC2 this side of Christmas.

WRT Detox costings, we have too many variables unanswered until we make the first handful of units. I cannot come back for more funds AFTER we have requested payment.

I'll build a small batch first - confirm costings, then request "full" production payments.

Hi John good news but what do you mean by Flagship variant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back