advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have send you the first installments on the 21.09.2013. Since then nothing where shipped to us sponsors.
HiFi is a hobby, of course things are changing in 4 years...

Superior,

Please remind me, are you the person with the MDAC that has been upgraded with a custom output stage so named after yourself? - the output stage that I have bills for over GBP3K? (4 layer PCB prototypes, components etc.) - this does not factor the cost of development man hours... Your one of the few WITH some physical output from all these years of development work!

If you where so unhappy with the project then why did you send payments for the Slave FDAC in March last year having seen how the project was progressing so far?

I'm not going to say any more on this subject - if we can pass on your Detox position then we will, but sadly I'm simply far too busy with the pending Streamer and Detox production to be relied upon to be handling such matters, (I have to draw the line somewhere with my workload) - it is CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD development funding is non refundable.

Johan,

Sorry it seems I've missed many an Email recently - sorry for the concern.

What was the issue with your MDAC?

Oh ... ok John
But have you received my m-dac?
According to my post office, it would have been delivered to you 2017-07-10.
You said you would do a fully recap + some sonic tweek.

Sincerely,
Johan

Superior,

Please remind me, are you the person with the MDAC that has been upgraded with a custom output stage so named after yourself? - the output stage that I have bills for over GBP3K? (4 layer PCB prototypes, components etc.) - this does not factor the cost of development man hours... Your one of the few WITH some physical output from all these years of development work!

Yes, I am the one with the Superior MDAC for witch I have paid another 360 GBP.
I don´t wanted to open this pandora´s box but ok. I will describe the things from my point of view:
- long time ago you have fixed a lot of broken MDACs for free (very nice from you)
- when my MDAC Capacitors failed I wanted to change the capacitors by myself (not to wast your time)
- you offered my to fix me MDAC for 100 GBP - OK
- after sending the MDAC to you, I get another offer with 200 GBP of a special output stage and new clock
- after some time when I wanted my MDAC back you explained that there are now Vishay Capacitors build in for what I should pay again...
- I decided not to go for the Vishys but also had to pay another 60 GBP for the extra handling
- the new clock would cost another 100 GBP
- At the end, after spending 360 GBP and I got my MDAC back - plenty much of begging you - there was no big difference to the original MDAC - except getting really hot

Superior,
If you where so unhappy with the project then why did you send payments for the Slave FDAC in March last year having seen how the project was progressing so far?

Hey John, this is unfair!
At that time you only worked for the FDAC. You created this nice little Homepage: http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/fdac.htm and promised us some super duper ultra DAC with all extras a HiFi freak can dream of.
There was constant updateds of the FDAC progress and I really believed to get some nice hardware soon...

Then you change your mind (again) and went the MDAC2 route again.
No FDAC visible any more.
Thats also a reason I´m so unhappy with this project now!

Superior,
I'm not going to say any more on this subject - if we can pass on your Detox position then we will, but sadly I'm simply far too busy with the pending Streamer and Detox production to be relied upon to be handling such matters, (I have to draw the line somewhere with my workload) - it is CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD development funding is non refundable.

John, I have send you 900 GBP for a FDAC development and now you only say: I have no time for your matters, because I have to built other products with which I can earn further money?

Is this the way you are handling your unhappy (early) sponsors?

I´m so deeply dissapointed!

John, I have send you 900 GBP for a FDAC development and now you only say: I have no time for your matters, because I have to built other products with which I can earn further money?

Is this the way you are handling your unhappy (early) sponsors?

I´m so deeply dissapointed!

Have you thought about that your matters take time from the rest of us?

Changing your mind in this hobby always cost money. I never got a refund when upgrading and lost money selling, but that is how it is!

For instance if you or others decide that you don't want the Detox then WRITE OFF the £50. You have still saved £150 by not getting one. Is the glass half full or half empty!

I am getting tired of the thread getting spammed by this refund discussion which is pointless because it has been said again and again that development contributions is non refundable.
How many times does it have to be repeated?

- At the end, after spending 360 GBP and I got my MDAC back - plenty much of begging you - there was no big difference to the original MDAC - except getting really hot

I'm sorry to hear that you are so upset now but you seemed much happier when you posted last Dec. after you had received your upgraded MDAC back from John.

Hello everybody,

first I have to say that I can understand all the doubtfully PFM members here. I´m also waiting for two FDACs and two Detox for over 4 years now. But now I think it´s worthwhile to wait, till John is completely happy with his designs.

I always hoped that my little blown MDAC cabs last as long till Johns new designs are ready for shipping. Sadly the cabs failed earlier. Then I send my MDAC over to John for replacing the bad cabs and after a few days, he offered me to fit a new analoge stage similar to the FDAC design called Superior Board. One or two month ago, I got my fixed MDAC back. It was packed up like a little present For the guys who now will ask how it sounds: I can tell you it is really really good and I can promise everybody a really big smile when hearing Johns design skills. Although I only have the „simple version“ of the superior board, without any vishay resistors or a special power supply, it makes so much fun. Playing with low volumes levels (below -50dB) also makes much more fun than before.

Of course I also have had a look inside to get an idea of Johns work. As an electrical engineer I can confirm Johns design skills and his love for details. The PCB is perfectly fitted inside between all the components. The symbiosis between the old MDAC PCB and the superior board is amazing. Also Johns soldering skills are really remarkable. In my eyes, the price I had payed for the superior pcb upgrade is much less than the effort and time it takes to design, built and test such an upgrade.

So thank you John for your great work!
Every day anew, we have much joy with your special superior creation

Ps: Have you heard something new from audiolab and the spare remotes?
Last edited by Superior; 23-12-16 at 01:32 PM.

I'm sorry to hear that you are so upset now but you seemed much happier when you posted last Dec. after you had received your upgraded MDAC back from John.

Hello everybody,

first I have to say that I can understand all the doubtfully PFM members here. I´m also waiting for two FDACs and two Detox for over 4 years now. But now I think it´s worthwhile to wait, till John is completely happy with his designs.

I always hoped that my little blown MDAC cabs last as long till Johns new designs are ready for shipping. Sadly the cabs failed earlier. Then I send my MDAC over to John for replacing the bad cabs and after a few days, he offered me to fit a new analoge stage similar to the FDAC design called Superior Board. One or two month ago, I got my fixed MDAC back. It was packed up like a little present For the guys who now will ask how it sounds: I can tell you it is really really good and I can promise everybody a really big smile when hearing Johns design skills. Although I only have the „simple version“ of the superior board, without any vishay resistors or a special power supply, it makes so much fun. Playing with low volumes levels (below -50dB) also makes much more fun than before.

Of course I also have had a look inside to get an idea of Johns work. As an electrical engineer I can confirm Johns design skills and his love for details. The PCB is perfectly fitted inside between all the components. The symbiosis between the old MDAC PCB and the superior board is amazing. Also Johns soldering skills are really remarkable. In my eyes, the price I had payed for the superior pcb upgrade is much less than the effort and time it takes to design, built and test such an upgrade.

So thank you John for your great work!
Every day anew, we have much joy with your special superior creation

Ps: Have you heard something new from audiolab and the spare remotes?
Last edited by Superior; 23-12-16 at 01:32 PM.

And the purpose of your post is? Apart from being an ______ (insert applicable).

And the purpose of your post is? Apart from being an ______ (insert applicable).

Oh crikey! I seem to have seriously irritated you Lars.😄

Some posts, of course, can be very upsetting when they don't agree with a certain agenda.lol.

Great! thank you, thats good to know! Take your time with it.

Best Regards
Johan

Johan,

Yes sorry my bad - I should have told you as soon as your unit arrived, I do recall wanting too but don't remember why I did not!

Hi John,

What is the latest wrt the P&P machine delivery - has it arrived / still due in september (from what I recall) ?.

I haven't had much time over the past few months to follow the thread daily, so appologies if I am asking a dumb question that you have already updated everyone on.

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back