advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MDAC2 is my main project and progressing well - we target end of September (or after Detox PCB's) to build the first complete MDAC2 PCB's.

I have a trip pending to Asia to make final arrangements with various MDAC2 parts suppliers and hand carry as much back with me as possible.

From where I'm sitting MDAC2 coming along nicely it will follow the Streamer / Detox so as these designs nearer production so does MDAC2.

Ok, end of September for first PCB it is then, that is you don't get arrested by customs :)

And if all this fails you can always try your hand at training fighting dogs:

http://viyoutube.com/video/SrO2x1e4FBA/uječená krysička / screaming krysarik girl

I should report you to RSPCA :D

Ok, end of September for first PCB it is then

This will be our first prototype boards of the "New" MDAC2 design.

It depends how much time we have to spend on the Detox production - the streamer PCB's will be quick.

Complete Detox production will take about a month for sure.

Hi JohnW

I have sent a package to you and emailed you two times later and I have not received an answer :-(
Have you received the package?
Is there anything wrong or are you just very busy ??

Sincerely,
Johan

Hi JohnW

I have sent a package to you and emailed you two times later and I have not received an answer :-(
Have you received the package?
Is there anything wrong or are you just very busy ??

Sincerely,
Johan

Johan,

Sorry it seems I've missed many an Email recently - sorry for the concern.

What was the issue with your MDAC?

Hello John,

I´ve paid for 2 x Detox, 1 x FDAC L3 MMC and 1 x FDAC Slave many years ago....

Today I received Renatas answer that my installments aren´t refundable and it is also not possible to buy only one Detox and transfer the other 50GPB from the second Detox to the "at cost" bill.
Things have change with the years. Today I have active speakers with built in DACs and DSPs. So no use for an additional DAC any more.

Now I only can decide between wasting the 1.000 GPB I have send to you, or buy something in remote future? Will FDAC still happen at all?

I´m absolutely unhappy with this situation now! BUY or WASTE

Maybe there is anyone out there, who want my positions on the lists?

Or do anyone else have a solution for me?

Superior,

It is CLEARLY stated that development findings are not refundable - we use these funds to develop the product - we cannot "undevelop" a design and recover our costs.

Likewise, we cannot transfer funds used to develop a design to the build cost of different unit because you no longer require the first unit - the funds had been used for the initial products development.

Once MDAC2 and VFETS are manufactured then we will complete the PFM projects with the FDAC which will be based on the most advanced development of MDAC2.

We plan to release further user upgrades to the MDAC2 such as FPGA based modulators - the FDAC will encompass the highest state of MDAC2 development as a reference grade design.

I did fear this, that once we start to move towards production - we awaken those who have moved in a different direction. When you decided to change your path and go active speakers your clearly were aware that you had already sponsored the development of the FDAC / Detox and this was non refundable, so you made your decisions with this in mind.

If you have no need for the Detox's then you don't need to purchase production units - BUT their development funding is NOT refundable or transferable to "At Cost" payments.

Superior,

It is CLEARLY stated that development findings are not refundable - we use these funds to develop the product - we cannot "undevelop" a design and recover our costs.

Likewise, we cannot transfer funds used to develop a design to the build cost of different unit because you no longer require the first unit - the funds are used for development.

Once MDAC2 and VFETS are manufactured then we will complete the PFM projects with the FDAC which will be based on the most advanced development of MDAC2.

We plan to release further user upgrades to the MDAC2 such as FPGA based modulators - the FDAC will encompass the highest state of MDAC2 development as a reference grade design.

I did fear this, that once we start to move towards production - we awaken those who have moved in a different direction.

"once we start to move towards production...." AFTER HOW MANY YEARS, John???
If I read right, FDAC will come in another 4 years of development. Of course things change in such a timeline.

Yes, you said the findings are not refundable, but you also promised us timescales when the products will be available. This timelines where never true!
And now after years you only say ups, sorry?

So everybody out there, here you see what will happen if you change your opinion and want to leave the theater!

I´m really pissed off now!

Matt,

Sorry for this, its better to Email Renata directly and avoid me in the loop :)

I've forward your message so you should hear back from her tomorrow.

Thanks, John, all sorted now by the ever admirable Renata.

I´ve paid for 2 x Detox, 1 x FDAC L3 MMC and 1 x FDAC Slave many years ago....

Maybe you could transfer your two FDAC development payments to MDAC2s (not sure whether that's allowed). Then at least the prospect of selling your positions would come a bit nearer.

...we will complete the PFM projects with the FDAC which will be based on the most advanced development of MDAC2.
...the FDAC will encompass the highest state of MDAC2 development as a reference grade design.

John
If I get you right at the end of the day in a few years (?) the FDAC will be ala a MDAC2 after all the upgrades to the MDAC2 are done, just everthing in one case?
Nothing special, advance, ectr.?

Did we start in that directions many moons ago?

greetings
Fred Sonnen

John
If I get you right at the end of the day in a few years (?) the FDAC will be ala a MDAC2 after all the upgrades to the MDAC2 are done, just everthing in one case?
Nothing special, advance, ectr.?

Fred,

The FDAC will be dual mode Tube / solid-state with a more advanced discrete DAC array and I'm sure a host of other advancements.

The MDAC2 is already outgrowing its chassis!

Maybe you could transfer your two FDAC development payments to MDAC2s (not sure whether that's allowed). Then at least the prospect of selling your positions would come a bit nearer.

Yes, FDAC development payments can be directly transferred to MDAC2 as basically the MDAC2 is now pretty much what the original FDAC was going to be.

Hello Mattgbell,

thanks for the good idea!
Unfortunately John knows that I want to leave the project for quite some time now.
There should be a list for the "leavers" witch get the development funds from the new sponsors, but I don´t think this list really exists. I was quiet in the past, because I thought I´m standing on this list and some day somebody will take my position.

Now John is closing the Detox order books and nobody has taken my two positions yet. So bay luck for me! Now I only have the option - buy the Detox now and wait for FDAC in some years or loose 1.000 GBP.

I always hoped John will have a solution for me some day, but sadly I was wrong.

Yes, FDAC development payments can be directly transferred to MDAC2 as basically the MDAC2 is now pretty much what the original FDAC was going to be.

But for MDAC2 I need a spare MDAC right? (Witch I don´t have)

Will MDAC2 have the MMC option?

Superoir,

I'm sure that as the Detox is currently a onetime production run there is a good chance that before we call last numbers someone might offer to purchase your position.

But for MDAC2 I need a spare MDAC right?
Will MDAC2 will have the MMC option?

The MDAC has the ADC option but will need an external Phono Stage - we are toying with the idea of offering a MM / MC option built into the external PSU which can be controlled via the MDAC2.

The MDAC has the ADC option but will need an external Phono Stage - we are toying with the idea of offering a MM / MC option built into the external PSU which can be controlled via the MDAC2.

But I have paid for this:

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/fdac.htm

○ Dual Fully Balanced MC / MM Phono ADC inputs (shared with Line Level ADC XLR's)
○ MM / MC input Gain User selectable to 72dB
○ Selectable MC "0 ohms" Current mode operation (adjustable Gain setting)
○ Flat Gain (No RIAA EQ Correction) for digital domain RIAA Correction
○ Passive RIAA EQ Filter Mode (For Native DSD and Non Digital RIAA Mode)
○ Independent MM/MC Input Resistance and Capacitance loading
○ Variable input Gain 0dB and 20dB to 72dB in 1-2dB steps across most of the Gain range
○ Direct Microphone connection (External Phantom power), Tape head (WITH DSP EQ) etc
○ User installable Low Noise MC Step-up transformers (Lundahl LL1931/33 & LL1941/43)
○ Selectable Lundahl Transformer Gain Settings and Zobel termination

John, it would be really nice if there could be an option/possibility for those who want to leave the project.

I have send you the first installments on the 21.09.2013. Since then nothing where shipped to us sponsors.
HiFi is a hobby, of course things are changing in 4 years...

Superoir,

I'm sure that as the Detox is currently a onetime production run there is a good chance that before we call last numbers someone might offer to purchase your position.
OK, this would be really nice.
Please promise me, that if you have another interest that you remember me again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back