advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does the Detox fit in there? I can't find descriptions of it any more. I expect it will need its own power? So do we get 2 power supplies for FDac and Detox?

The FDAC has its own internal HQ PSU (110V / 230V selectable).

The Detox is not required for the FDAC, but recommended - it will be supplied with a small wall-wart type AC adaptor.

I'm indeed very sorry for the change to the full width chassis - but you will really get a MUCH MUCH better quality product - and trust me the chassis will be stunning! It will make our poor little MDAC look rather Mickey Mouse...

FDAC chassis pricing from the first vendor was very good - but I really worry about there quality so I've decided to work with my preferred vendor even though there is a US$20 cost premium. Good news is that it will be within budget - so we are now working on the fine details of the Chassis design / completing the renderings etc.

I hope to have our Website updated with the new FDAC renderings within the next 2 - 3weeks.

I think most people would be happy to pay an extra $20 for the QC assurance

October is key month, hope JohnW realises its just around the corner now.....will be great to see new chassis design and PCB layouts....things are about to move on with a step change.

I locked my FDAC and VFET excitement in a compartment at the back of my mind about a year ago. It's banging on the door wanting to get out . . . .

Currently groovin to Songhoy Blues. Excellent :)

some of us are pushing budgets here [FDAC plus VFET]:)

man maths goes so far

Sure as am I on a budget these days, but I am considering this DAC (hopefully) the last DAC I will need... Quality is the more important thing to me and for a months extra savings into the FDAC pot, to me it's worth the investment!!

We have had 4 years...and a few more months (counting), to save up ;-)

Sure as am I on a budget these days, but I am considering this DAC (hopefully) the last DAC I will need... Quality is the more important thing to me and for a months extra savings into the FDAC pot, to me it's worth the investment!!

We have had 4 years...and a few more months (counting), to save up ;-)

Just took delivery of a custom designed LDR-based passive preamp after waiting 5 years, so I know the feeling. Many false "labor pains" over that time but it was a case of doing it right vs getting it out the door. Extremely happy with the outcome.

The FDAC has its own internal HQ PSU (110V / 230V selectable).

The Detox ... will be supplied with a small wall-wart type AC adaptor.

Will it be possible to run it from battery? Something like Anker Pro2, there is 5v, 9v and 12v output.

Will it be possible to run it from battery? Something like Anker Pro2, there is 5v, 9v and 12v output.

The FDAC is not a portable device, it will have an internal PSU....the DETOX maybe at a push be described as portable and could be run off your laptop battery, I guess.

I was amused to read on this link that the AES technical committee have apparently opened a thread entitled "Regen Nonsense".
Apparently mark Waldrep and Bob Katz haven't heard about the "consensus" that it makes a difference.
http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5031

Ghent Audio nCore cases cost $300'ish which are half the size !!

My n-Core cases were made from scrap :D

HbBwclEyLZNfqi5LOyfv34FqBJHFmuDeLls4YNwUTOfGEF-I0jZb8f8ucUxtfgBTJxCXKazD50uprJs1nYVa-sop9s92-eq6e6HrfI-lsb1k8Jia_6aJjI7J3U9i7Cs-DsIvY_eZbSVX_tkQujHaP_AyYjTNd5ujK7V4FZ4vDrkTqyi2uZfb8SfHZytTOMBxCuc8i0Um9nAaLk3I7HUHZKmteBe64g2Ewji9hh0eYWHP-SCuvXuO2sKM-s1EeK08mCvhSf4jum5qBwqghqg7qR-tOHcPsrMKGkr-bn7eBGitLx28m32xLTlf3qLqkWou1WS5rP6bkfNz1P1QmrwRq0wRUR3UJgRvGftFpJEm0O1TiOY4eLdCDdccu4MfrXkI0QS9-tl8iwbWqQJqPx7DlYg881878BtwELSb5ViNpH4rfO6_Pdq61uSGXSAZm-OvW6CQngHAmIB3ungqib-caUfUMZpZpRqLAWgNH9MZ-6DrvMXuHisp4MgcfmRrYIk7xhh7dhDYjR3OhtcgJsmFyN6gXEWOW6hIYoRqTym6UtU=w858-h643-no

John
Those of us with an analogue source will be wanting to use the AV bypass in the FDAC and we will need a way of controlling the volume. There is currently a group buy being organized on DIYA for PCBs to make a balanced volume controller based on an interesting paper written by Bruno Putzey - see link
(Most of the paper is about grounding and "balanced " connections and may be of general interest to others. BP explains why he thinks RCA connections should be banned by law!)
Anyway, by way of relaxation when you do occasionally take a break, I wondered if you might cast your eye over the article and tell us if you think this type of volume controller might be as good as BP suggests it will be?

With a nod to Paul who drew this to my attention.
Ian
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/The G Word.pdf

I was amused to read on this link that the AES technical committee have apparently opened a thread entitled "Regen Nonsense".
Apparently mark Waldrep and Bob Katz haven't heard about the "consensus" that it makes a difference.
http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5031

Yes and the title "Are the Lights On or Off?" sums it up nicely how he see the world in black and white :D
Those comments that point out to him that receiving bit perfect data is not the whole picture is wasting their time.

Hello Misterdog

Are you running ESLs there with nc400!?

I went to a Colleagues home on Friday and listened to his LYNGDORF TDA system. I believe it is Hypex UcD amplification based (fully active) with open back dipolar midrange, complimented by 2 x 10" woofers in the corners of room.

The Image or Soundstage was the widest I have heard, assuming this dipolar setup is much like MartinLogan ESL. The level of high frequency detail was spectacular too, blows my current setup away....however the midrange I found a bit too neutral meaning the Vocals...could almost sound a little bit 'hollow', lacking some guts or 'chest' if that's how I can describe it.

My TAGMcLaren amps with MA PL200 speakers, voices sound a bit more chesty (my preference), but the rest just in terms of Image and macro-detail doesn't compare... :-(

With your nCore nc400 on ESL, do you find the Vocals lacking a bit of something, at all?

Many thanks

The FDAC is not a portable device, it will have an internal PSU....the DETOX maybe at a push be described as portable and could be run off your laptop battery, I guess.

Yes, I meant Detox. I using battery for laptop and as Detox also will be used with laptop, it will be nice to avoid extra AC adaptor.
Or maybe FDAC can have a output socket to power Detox, if space allows it.

John,

Here's an idea, since you don't use your spare time :D ...maybe this would be a good time to update the wiki page....now that FDAC is nearing its final stages.
Maybe even one for the VFETs amp.
:)

I used to come here most of the days to keep up with the developments, but I admit I've lost some of the steam and now I only visit once in a while for a quick reading. I'm afraid I might be missing some of the improvements along the way.

I know we're going to have a full chassis which pleases me.
But I don't know if you took the opportunity to redesign the board now that you have more space to play with.
I also know we have the DETOX USB option for those who don't use the light ...but I don't know what other news are there.

Michael

Hello Misterdog

Are you running ESLs there with nc400!?

I went to a Colleagues home on Friday and listened to his LYNGDORF TDA system. I believe it is Hypex UcD amplification based (fully active) with open back dipolar midrange, complimented by 2 x 10" woofers in the corners of room.

The Image or Soundstage was the widest I have heard, assuming this dipolar setup is much like MartinLogan ESL. The level of high frequency detail was spectacular too, blows my current setup away....however the midrange I found a bit too neutral meaning the Vocals...could almost sound a little bit 'hollow', lacking some guts or 'chest' if that's how I can describe it.

My TAGMcLaren amps with MA PL200 speakers, voices sound a bit more chesty (my preference), but the rest just in terms of Image and macro-detail doesn't compare... :-(

With your nCore nc400 on ESL, do you find the Vocals lacking a bit of something, at all?

Many thanks

It would be a mistake to make assumptions about the ncores based on the UCD modules. I've used them with ESLs. They don't lack anything. Doubtless Paul will be along shortly to give you his take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back