advertisement

MC Cartridges for a Zeta Tonearm on a Linn LP12

darkmatter

pfm Member
I have managed to find a really nice, carefully used late example Zeta, Linn base / socket) so will move my 774SM to my second LP12.

Now begins the hunt for suitable carts. I have an AT0C9/III which is not an ideal match for the Zeta (Higher compliance and a resonance which is too low on the Zeta) so that will stay on the 774SM as it sounds fine with that arm.

My main LP12 will have the Zeta arm and is powered by an Armageddon, has a Karousel bearing, this plays into a Naim SuperLine/ SC (DR).

My music tastes are wide from Classical symphony to Prog Rock, Classical Organ to German Electronic!!

As a Temporary measure, I have an Ortofon MC25E, lower compliance than the AT, which from investigation, could be is a better match with the 16 gram eff mass Zeta.

Si far Y have been investigating other carts such as models from, Dynavector, Hana, Lyra? Up to £1.3K. Ideally, I don't want to spend much more than £700 at the moment.

As I love the sound, would great to be able to stretch to a used Koetsu Red or Red Sig; get it retipped, as it is an ideal partner for the Zeta.

Now begins the hunt for a suitable cartridge, I would welcome suggestions from Zeta users.

Any thoughts on carts that match the arm and really boogie along?

Thanks,

Simon.

Decca. Low compliance moving coil…think denon, ortofon. the zeta (and mechanic) were designed with Deccas in mind.

Ps. I would say…the zeta …et al, are ‘to heavy for the linn…’
That's something I heard at the time too and I do think the Linn seems to sound more organic and flowing with a lighter arm. It's hard to explain but it's a bit like the set up being perfect vs not quite right.

But you did see a few LP12s with Zetas on them, it was a thing.

The Zeta does definitely sit hard on the LP12’s back spring. It is hard to get a really nice clean bounce. The RD11/LP12 was designed to balance a 3009 which, in any of its forms, is a much, much lighter arm. It is why a Linn was so much easier to set up with a lightweight Basik Plus than an Ittok. That logic continues with the Zeta, and crashes into the floor with the FR64S!

That said I sat through a three-way dem between an Ekos, Aro and Zeta, and for me the Zeta was well ahead. It combined the best of both (slam and dynamics of the Ekos with the clarity and naturalness of the Aro) so a bit more effort setting it up was worth it. One eventually ended up on my LP12. That Zeta is currently still on my old LP12 with a friend who bought it. It is due to be transplanted onto a 301 I’m currently servicing for him, which will be very interesting. Hopefully it is still ok (Zeta bearings can get sticky with time). It currently has a DL-103 in it which works well.

What if it´s a Linn with Insoles/mushrooms instead of springs ? Should the weight of the arm affect things ? I must admit I never even thought of that when I fitted mine, there being no visible bounce an´all that ! Stiffness, rigidity etc. yes but weight ????? And now you mention it, what happens to compliance ???? and favoured arm/cartridge combos and maybe even VTF.
My head hurts so I´ll go and play some nice piano music on my Frankenstein (no longer L***) LP12.

I’d expect that to negate things to a large extent assuming the ‘mushrooms’ are similar to what I know from a TD-124. The load on each will still be uneven, but I doubt that matters as there is no ‘bounce’ anymore.

I can offer you a Koetsu Rosewood/Red which I have used for a number of years on my Zeta/Elite Rock (III and II). The combination sounds sublime, The Rosewood was was retipped by ESCO in late 2022 and has played <30 hours on it since the retip. I use a tally counter to record album sides.

I can also offer you a Dynavector XX Mk1 which I have used on my Zeta/Elite Rock II. The XX was was retipped by ESCO in late 2022 and has played ≤15 hours on it since the retip.

I have the paperwork to support the retip dates and the ESCO post-retip audition reports.

I listen to folk, blues, americana, reggae, prog, German electronic, rock, jazz and electronic music inc techno and house. Both cartridges perform over the range of genre with aplomb.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back