advertisement

MC Cartridge - what do you suggest?

Northwest

pfm Member
Following on from the "are you happy with your setup" type thread I have only one aspect of my setup I need to add to. I own a rather nice Quad 34 pre-amp modified by our very own Les here. It has an MC module, or rather I have the MC Module in the box as supplied by Quad complete with all the resistors etc.
Anyhow, I want to set my turntable up with an MC Cartridge - IF you guys think I am going to "improve" my system. My turntable is a Rega Planar II with RB250 arm and at present a Goldring G800 cartridge (an MM type). I have a budget of around 200 pounds sterling for this exercise but that is not etched in tablets of stone either.
If I am wasting my time, let me know but if this is a way forward I want to hear it. I will not be messoing about with this, this is a one time purchase and I have burned the 'upgrade' ladder long since.
Amps are a pair of Quad 405's bi-amped and mono-blocked according to (mostly) Bernd Ludwigs schematics and then to a pair of Quad ESL's fully refurbed.
Thanks.

I am currently using a Goldring Eroica LX LOMC, it's very good and suits the RB250 perfectly. It tracks like a demon, sounds very even handed with all types of music, and is over budget by a bit.......

I'm using SAE 1000LT, HOMC so you still won't need the MC inputs, but am very happy with it.
It was at least as good, as an Ortofon MC20, at third of the price.

There is much reduced SSSSS's on female voices.

Found a SAE 1000LT in Canada at a good price so that could be an option. The Goldring Eroica is a bit too far for me right now........ but if you want to sell yours? mmmm? :))

Dynavector DV10X5. I'm not sure how much they are these days but they're around that figure.

However, judging by the rest of your system, one of the Ortofons might be smoother and more tonally correct. The strength of the Dynavector is its joie de vivre :)

Why a MC? At £200 you are right at the very bottom of the mc ladder. As usual, a Denon 103 is recommendable. But with the nice smooth system you have, an Ortofon mm cartridge could be better. And you cut out the mc stage, which never helps.

Anyhow, I want to set my turntable up with an MC Cartridge - IF you guys think I am going to "improve" my system. My turntable is a Rega Planar II with RB250 arm and at present a Goldring G800 cartridge (an MM type). I have a budget of around 200 pounds sterling for this exercise but that is not etched in tablets of stone either.

hi , if there's any chance of improving your turntable , just do it first! ( i.e. ,ask yourself : Would those 200 pounds worth of cartridge be exposed if I stay with my table?
Difficult question but , in your shoes I'd be tempted to sell the table and use your money to get a better model , even a humbler cartridge would benefit the more ! Or possibly keep the arm and just get better deck ?

Why a MC? At £200 you are right at the very bottom of the mc ladder. As usual, a Denon 103 is recommendable. But with the nice smooth system you have, an Ortofon mm cartridge could be better. And you cut out the mc stage, which never helps.

I am going to try an Ortofon that I have been offered at a good price.

In response to the quality of the turntable itself, my thoughts are that the arm is of a very, very good standard and the cables/interconnects would let it down but I have changed the arm wiring and the interconnects for silver and that was worthwhile.
I have never had any issues with the turntable itself. Not that I can notice anyhow.

I have owned Rega 2 and 3 TTs, IMO they are good but not great. A good cartridge is worth having but a better deck gives you more bang for your buck. A Thorens TD150 (Mk 2, with the golf ball arm) takes a Rega outside and murders it, it's not even close. £100 gets a good one. The arm will carry most carts, stay away from the super low compliane jobs.

IMHO i would strongly advise against fitting a MC into a planer 2/rb 250,a decent mm like the AT 440 ml would be far superior.
A mc puts much more energy down the arm tube,and good as the little rb 250 is imho its not suitable for mc cartridges.

Another suggestion - get in touch with Dom of NW Analogue. He can retip the G800 in a way that lifts it into another league altogether.

I had one done by Dom and it ended up replacing my Adikt.

Dom will give you the full low-down on the potential of these moving iron carts and the various cantilever / diamond options.

Regards

Mark

Dynavector 10x2, would be a better option as I've owned Rega P-2's - Planar 3's and a P-25 and found that this line works better then most with these tables in general. Yet here in the states many dealers seem to favor the current Ortofon 2M Series Red or Blue on the lower end Rega tables, but to my ears I've found them to be rather noisy when it comes to surface noise on a whole whereas the Dynavector's are much quieter and a better all around choice. Just sharing my thoughts on the subject. Regards,Oscar

Well, I am very grateful for all of the suggestions. I will not be changing the Turntable just now as I want to look around for one at my leisure and whatever iot is - rebuild it to a good standard. No rush for that so we are back to the Rega. I am going to contact Dom at Northwest Analogue and go from there I think.

advertisement

Back