advertisement

Maximum of Integrated amp for Focal Aria 906

nikrango

Hi! After long discussions all over the world I've decided that the best speakers for me would be Focal aria 906. Now i wanted something more high level, but I will be listening on the rack (with isolation of course) and Aria seems the best for this. Now I have some money for a good integrated, better than i initially planned. What is the best amp to drive Arias (remember, on a rack, so maybe some bass care needed). what is the amp where if I choose something more I won't hear the difference so much. What will be a good match for Aria (better with a phono stage). Maybe Rega? Maybe Naim? Sonetteer? Unison Research? Heed? Croft? Yamaha? Arcam? Anything around 2000 euros and under (though if the sweet spot is lower i don't want to pay too much) Phono integrated preferred, dac doesn't matter, preferrably without tidal quobuz and stuff like that as they don't stream in my country

I have owned a few focals in the past.
I found that an amp that is on the warmer side of neutral worked best.
Tubes also work well.

I have found that Focal will show the quality of what you drive it with, and something with speed and delicacy is worth looking for. I’ve heard Lavardin IS sound excellent through Focal.

I have found that Focal will show the quality of what you drive it with, and something with speed and delicacy is worth looking for. I’ve heard Lavardin IS sound excellent through Focal.

Indeed.
Mine also sang rather well when partnered with some prima luna mono’s.

The top ex selling focal dealer in UK is a dealer for belles, they go very well , in particular the belles aria . As mentioned lavardin . Both Amps would have to be second hand to fit in budget

Certainly a nice arcam integrated would be brilliant too and very affordable

The 906 isn't that traditional a Focal sound though. Those fibre cones give a different presentation to everything in the mid and bass to the usual focal sound, although the metal top end is still there, but a bit calmer than some Focals of old IME. So you don't need an amp to 'tame' the suspect Focal sound...too clean and bright, a bit dry...it isn't really like that. I have heard them with Exposure amps and once only with a Rega and prefered the Exposure, but almost anything that doesn't exaggerate the metal top end, esp amps with an 'agile' bass would be great I'd think.

The 906 isn't that traditional a Focal sound though. Those fibre cones give a different presentation to everything in the mid and bass to the usual focal sound, although the metal top end is still there, but a bit calmer than some Focals of old IME. So you don't need an amp to 'tame' the suspect Focal sound...too clean and bright, a bit dry...it isn't really like that. I have heard them with Exposure amps and once only with a Rega and prefered the Exposure, but almost anything that doesn't exaggerate the metal top end, esp amps with an 'agile' bass would be great I'd think.

Yep thats the focal sound i know.
Mine didn’t last long as i missed the richness and romance of previous speakers i owned.

Thanks! I guess if I don't find an ex-demo/preowned lavardin, how about a croft phono integrated, a sonetteer alabaster or exposure 310s2d? Much worse? And which of the three then? Because Lavardin with Phono (just like Trigon Exxact) may be too much even ex-demo and not sure if I have luck in finding more used. By the way, can I theoretically convert a phono integrated into integrated R or there is more between them than different tubes?

Sorryy My bad when I looked at price comparisons it showed me the preamp instead of integrated (I thought it was on discount) so Exposure is around the same price as Trigon....Ok let's say it's not too far off so let's add trigon which is same price as Exposure and still less than naim, but what would have you recommended under 2000 (exposure is just a bit over and I found it showed the mm module extra too)? By the way, the new Yamaha 1200 is 1990 or somethig. Worthy? Maybe a next down of exposures? Also how about Unico Nuovo (in Poland they are under 2000) or Anthem 225.
So basically I need much power, correct?
So what we have now is basically a the category of amps which are a little bit over 2k and which are good and possible if I stretch(exposure, rega elicit-r, trigon exxact) and a catrgory of under. What would you recommend from that category?

Thanks! By the way, Maybe off-topic but still, I have an Idea. What would be better, a pair of Arias or a pair of Dali Opticon Vokal center channels? As they will be on a rack and I'm on the floor I feel like they will interact better with my ears (still will be using isolation of course)

Get a second hand pair of ProAc Tablettes. They wiped the floor with them when I had both, different class. However, in terms of amps, I would avoid anything overly warm, as the 906 sounded a bit muddled in the bass. I did like the silky treble though.

I own these speakers and they are certainly not bright! I have used them with croft, naim, rega and settled on a Leema elements intergrated which is what I would consider a perfect match. Amazed how cheap these amps go for i paid £400 for mine with a RRP of £1700. I will never sell it and maybe only go up the focal line in the future. I use the on board dac too which I preferred over a mdac.

Get a second hand pair of ProAc Tablettes. They wiped the floor with them when I had both, different class. However, in terms of amps, I would avoid anything overly warm, as the 906 sounded a bit muddled in the bass. I did like the silky treble though.
Good call. Bass is precise with the leema and was muddled with a brio, I would say they show up your sources pretty well

advertisement

Back