advertisement

Master of Photography - SKY Art Channel

drummerman

pfm Member
I have not seen this before but have, over the last few nights, been watching 5 episodes of the Series.

Most of you probably have seen it but for those that have not, the program makers have chosen the best Amateur/Professional Photographers in Europe out of thousands of entries. They each had to submit a series of images to judges. They each are in competition which each other to find the best.

The series is presented by the beautiful Isabella Rossellini and Judges consisting of renowned photographers. In each episode the contestants are given a genre, are flown to locations and provided with equipment of limited choice (all Leica, different models).

In each episode there are further guest appearances of some of the worlds best known photographers of the genre featured which comment, help to narrow picture choice and advise.

I have to say that so far, I am thoroughly disappointed with most of the contestants. Given that they have superb equipment, stunning locations/scenery (even Berlin on a cold Monday night) and professional help, never mind a background of years of photography, the results range (imho) from mediocre to good. Nothing outstanding, nothing of note.

Some of the contestants; The black guy which tries to emulate the artist look with his french berets hats and scarves (until he is in freezing Ireland when he does not wear the afromentioned items) and which has an obsession of wanting to highlight racial themes, a blonde from Germany (with an irish accent) that has to put herself in every picture, a spanish girl with a constant resting bxxch face, an over timid Vietnamese from Austria and two professional male war photographers, one from Spain which is so loud, it seems a miracle he hasn't been shot yet. There were a few unremarkable others. - These last two seem, so far, to do the best work on and off but even so, I would expect far, far more.

I have not finished watching the series but I would recommend it if you have not already seen it if for no other reason than that you probably find that your own photography is probably actually very good.

Last edited:
May I add ... I would find it very difficult to openly criticise people's work if done in a non-competitive way, such as on this forum. Especially as my own photography leaves a lot to be desired but as that program was done as a competition with some of Europe's best I find it easy to do so :)

Luckily, Art is beauty in the eye of the beholder so I am certain others will disagree with my opinion on the above.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all the series of this with my OH. Often, the judges are not afraid to hold back with their critic !

Gave me ideas of some places to visit and also got me interested in Leica (although not the SL they use). After some time, ended up with a Q as a fixed lens to my XT2 :)

Totally get what you mean.

I have finished watching season 1 and think the right person won. He was more inventive, daring, engaging and willing to take risks (photographically) than the others. Being a war photographer and having to react to circumstances quickly no doubt helped. Technically perhaps not the best (though I don't think my judgement really matters) but the results spoke for themselves.

On to season 2. This will probably mostly be a dialogue with myself, my apologies, but I do find it fascinating (not talking to myself that is but the program though I have to admit some of the best conversations I had were w... )

They have been sent to the beautiful, beautiful (did I say beautiful?), absolutely stunning Sicily. - Photography apart, what amazed me was the friendliness and willingness of the people there to engage and help. Try that in good ole Blighty.

Of course it's a tv program and they could have cut the more awkward bits out but in the previous series the problems facing the contestants when engaging with people was an important part of it and usually shown so I don't think so.

The program makes me want to go out and shoot (I was just made redundant so my focus unfortunately lies a little elsewhere) but I think engaging with folks during street photography, rather than always shoot and run, can be very successful and rewarding

I've watched a few of these but I really don't like the competitive angle used in these types of shows. It's like Masterchef with cameras. It's a bit of a tired format. That Italian guy does my head in.

It would be much better if it was hosted by Hannah Gordon and they sat around drinking cups of tea.

if it motivates you and the overall effect ends up being positive (you have to consider psychological well-being), then keep on watching.

an important thing to keep in mind is that money = location/subject = relatively easy picture. sort of like like sterling looking great in the context of man city and useless at the WC.

I've managed to get to episode four of the first series. I find the judges incredibly pretentious. I really don't have much time for arty pontifications. I'll keep watching. There's nothing else on telly about photography.

Of course, agree. It's a devisive subject at the best of times. A picture will never please everybody.

Just watch it for fun. Another way to look at it is as a long Leica advertisement.

Ps. Judges change with the next series except the highly annoying but fun to watch Italian.

Good news on the judges! I saw one other episode from a later series and it included Martin Parr. That was a good one. I love his stuff.

A shrewd move by Leica supplying the cameras. I bet a few other manufacturers wish they'd got that gig.

I've waded through all three series. Interesting how they tweaked the format of the show over that time. It went from confrontational in series one to cozy chats on the sofa in series three. It became much less pretentious thankfully. Even the Italian bloke was ok by the end.

advertisement

Back