advertisement

Massive Attacked

cooky1257

pfm Member
Recently purchased the Collected 2cd/dvd Massive Attack compilation as I'd missed it first time and wanted the bonus disc material. Oh my what an mess they made of the main cd. The clipping is really nasty and severe. It's beyond my comprehension how this was ever released, just shocking.

48240006866_911804a9b6_b.jpg

The lower traces are the remastered compilation vs the original cd's on top. I've not shown the clipping as its just a solid block of red.

When I'm P.M. the penalties for such crimes will be severe e.g. death or Mau Mau.

After the Boris apocalypse when we hunt down the leave voters, we can take the brick wall remasterers as well. The difference is we shall despatch and eat the leave voters humanely. They are stupid and only caused the apocalypse indirectly. We eat them only because we must, and to clean the genome. The brick wall guys are unclean and must be tortured to release the evil spirits before killing them.

It's the only way to be sure.

Thanks for posting, I was in the market for the compilation so very good to know, shocking though!

Compilations are usually bad news as there is a tendency to level out a lot of very different sounding recordings to get them to play track to track without obvious changes in volume. IIRC Massive Attack’s mastering got rather ‘louder’ as their career progressed so I can see how the properly done earlier tracks would have to be squashed and boosted to sound as loud as tracks from the last album. A shame as the early stuff is done very well. There is just no excuse for clipping ever though.

PS I’ve had this happen; the band I was in way back in the ‘80s ended up with a track on a couple of Cherry Red CD compilations fairly recently and the difference between the files we sent and what appeared was certainly interesting. Clearly a lot of compression added, but in a scenario like that where every band is entirely different in style and recorded in different studios perfectly understandable.

After the Boris apocalypse when we hunt down the leave voters, we can take the brick wall remasterers as well. The difference is we shall despatch and eat the leave voters humanely. They are stupid and only caused the apocalypse indirectly. We eat them only because we must, and to clean the genome. The brick wall guys are unclean and must be tortured to release the evil spirits before killing them.

It's the only way to be sure.
The captive has chosen death! Death....by Bongo Bongo!

I've just done a full comparison of tracks and 2 the earlier albums as TonyL has suggested are bumped up to match the later offerings but its all the tracks lifted from Protection that are clipped to death, the Blue Lines tracks are compressed and brick walled but not clipped.

48247611852_42a0530690_h.jpg

Sadly even some of the later album louder/compressed tracks have more compression applied to them.

Looks like this was released in 2006 at the height of the 'loudness wars'. Discogs credit Mike Marsh as remix engineer for CD1.

I found this from a 2012 interview with him on an Oasis fan site:

What do you think of the so-called ‘loudness wars’? Do you think mastering engineers are now under pressure to push levels further than they would like? If so, where do you think the pressure comes from and what do you think might be done to change this situation (if indeed you feel it is a problem in need of a solution)?
This is a topic we could all write an encyclopaedia on! Mastering engineers have always been under pressure to push levels since back in the day when we were just cutting records! When a vinyl single was the only way your record got heard. Who could cut the loudest record? Who could make your 12-inch or 7-inch single stand out from the last one played? So this is nothing really new! And then along came digital and eventually the arrival of digital limiters and the landscape was changed forever.

I guess I come from the old-skool. An engineer who understands headroom, dynamic range and the beauty of that verse / chorus build thing. Well, that barely exists now! We are definitely under more pressure now than ever before to push things to the max, although there is a bit of a turnaround in the conscience of people who are realising that, actually, it’s all been getting a bit too painful listening to this saturated blob of audio.

Of course it depends on what kind of music it is and what kind of music you are working on. Dance Music and electronic music is still pushed very hard but there is certainly a bit more give and take when it comes to “band tracks” and singer / songwriter stuff with regard to putting some dynamics back into the process!

Initially the pressure to push levels harder came from record company A&R Departments, Artists and Producers who just wanted their record to sound louder than anything else on the planet.

Then they wanted it louder than that.

Digital limiters and DAW plug-ins arrived which then allowed volumes and dynamic range to be squashed even further at the recording and mixing process – way before it even reaches mastering for its final level placement. Artists and Engineers then got used to hearing everything they were working on in a compressed environment, so the only way they could appreciate it being better, was by it being louder. It got out of hand.

As mastering engineers, we are also providing a service to give our customers (i.e: Artists, Producers and Record Companies) exactly what they want. If you chose not to do what they wanted you lost all your clients so we were always in quite a compromising situation.

None of us mastering engineers want to mash up sound to the level of un-listenability but the big problem is that this is now becoming the “normal” way to hear music for a whole new generation of people who have grown up knowing no different. They have grown up with the “brick-wall digital limiter” effect on music, so to them, anything less than that would result in them thinking there has been some massive technical error as it sounds too quiet!

To put the situation right would mean scaring a lot of people and going back to the days of way more dynamic range and lots more headroom. Personally I would like to see some move toward that – but who’s going to be the first to put themselves up for a test? Less is often more! But for a lot of people, less would be a big gamble / mistake. The problem is we’ve created this situation and it is going to be VERY difficult to undo it.

Back in the day we used to turn our volume controls up to 7 or 8 if you wanted to play stuff loud. Now you barely reach 2 and it’s already blasting. It’s a shame because, simply, if we were ALL working at a lower level throughout the whole process and introducing more dynamic, the listener could then turn up their amp to 7 or 8 again and it would sound as loud!

The other big factor in this whole volume wars thing is the MP3 and the devices on which MP3s are played now. Few people have home hi-fi systems or audio playback systems with good speakers capable of good volume anymore. Much music is listened to on shitty devices with tiny little speakers that come nowhere near conveying the full frequency range of recorded music. Because of that and, to get the maximum volume out of the crappy playback device being used, squashing the sound to the max was considered the best way to do it.

http://www.oasis-recordinginfo.co.uk/?page_id=156

Tony, what band was that by chance? I have a couple of Cherry Red comps, the Liverpool one and Scared to get Happy? Both fantastic BTW.

advertisement

Back