advertisement

Mark Knopfler albums - too lackadaisical??

maccavelli

pfm Member
Hello, can anyone share an opinion or shed any light as to whether Mark Knopfler (he of Dire Straits fame) has actually made an interesting solo album?

I've just bought Kill to Get Crimson, it's actually a little better than some of the others but there's still that passive 'tick over' countryfied lackadaisical feel to the music, that, 'oh well, I can pretty well not bother too much about making the effort here' feel.

I loved Dire Straits when I was a kid, age is something that effects us all in different ways, more often than not we slow down. Which cannot be helped I suppose. There were signs of it on the last Dire Straits album 'On Every Street' example track being the last 'How Long' I sat there after listening and thought 'this isn't a Dire Straits song', due to the contrast in character, the energy and ideas of previous efforts all gone.

Any opinions?

More of a group effort, but The Notting Hillbillies 'Missing, Presumed Having a good Time' is really rather good, bit grittier than his other releases with versions of some old country & bluegrass standards. Knopfler's 'Your Own Sweet Way' is particularly good. Steve Philips, who features on here, is a great slide player as well. If you like JJ Cale, you'll probably enjoy this.

His last one Shangri-la is a classic musically and sonically, followed by Sailing to Philadelphia.Kill had a hard act to follow.

David

another vote for the notting hill billies album, not played it in ages but it is rather good especially on a sunday morning, effortless tastefull licks without many pyrotechnics.

I remember seeing the Notting Hillbillies play here at my local events house. Good concert. I agree, Local Hero is a brilliant soundtrack, Cal is good too, both very good films as well.

On the subject of Dire Straits is there a definitive best of cd which has good sound quality.

Macca,
I agree, he's lost his fire, although saying that about Dire Straits may well be taken as a bit rich by most people :) I was listening to Dire Straits - Dire Straits the other day and on 'Six Blade Knife' and 'In the Gallery' in particular he's pretty passionate about the subject matter of the song. Both of those are favourite tracks.

His present output consists mostly of pleasant noodling. I have 2 classes of music, things I can listen to while doing something else and things I have to sit down to listen to. His present stuff falls definitely into the former category.:(

I think some femme fatale (I presume he's hetero) should step forward and break his heart for him. Then we'd see. All in the cause of music :D

Hi, yeah good words. In the Gallery is my favourite from the first album, infact, the first album I think may well be their best. Side 'B' is brilliant from start to finish.

Having watched the man live on his home ground (Newcastle City Hall) this year, I wouldn't say that he's lost his fire! It was a superb night.

If you liked DS and MK, try listening to his brother David's work - www.knopfler.com. His music get lots of plays on my system.

AlwaysAktive.
Which album would you recommend, just had a quick look on Amazon and whats there seem to be quite expensive even 2nd hand.

I interviewed Mark Knopfler in Tel Aviv when Brothers In Arms came out.

The first gig of their world tour was in Jerusalem.

Being somewhat stoned, I didn't heed the security advice to be at Heathrow 3 hours before flying, hence I missed the plane and gig.

Oh well.

Mark Knopfler was a nice enough bloke to interview and very knowledgeable about music.

The second show, in a park in Tel Aviv, was pretty good.

The press officer for Dire Straits on that trip was Mariella Frostrup.

She was cool as well.

Interestingly enough, I couldn't get Knopfler to do a photograph with an Israeli flag in the background.

In retrospect, I can see his point.

Jack

Continuing the thread regarding David Knopfler's music, the man sells them direct from his site and he'll autograph them too.

Personally I only have one, that's Cut The Wire. I think it's so-so. Mark got the talent, I think David got the hair.

That song he did a couple of years ago, about the mason-dixon line was kinda cool

Sailing to Philadelphia

Original Release Date: September 26, 2000

My how time flies!

"Sailing to Philadelphia" and "Ragpickers Dream" are both solo albums worth having - I bought "Kill" just before the Edinburgh show this year - First track rather good, the rest 'lazy and samey' (a fellow listener commented "is this the same track?" 25 mins in) - I approached the gig with a little trepidation but had no reason to fear - it was a brilliant "greatest hits" show with "Local Hero" as the encore - absolutely great, even "Sultans" didn't have a jaded note!

advertisement

Back