advertisement

Mark E Smith on supporting Man City

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
Did you used to see City regularly?

I used to stand on the Kippax but one of the reasons I stopped going was because of the moaning. Now, when you have to sit down, you can’t escape them. In the Peter Reid days, they’d be winning 2-0 and they’d be saying, “Oh, it’ll be 3-2...” The thing about the moaners is you know they’re always going to come back. I remember talking to these young City fans before Joe Royle came and they were practically suicidal and I said, “Look, it’s always been like that.” When I started supporting them in 1965, they were bottom of the Second Division. But these kids think City’s history began with Colin Bell. Just about the only good thing Oasis ever did was to threaten to take over the club. That galvanised people into action and they got this new guy, Bernstein, in like a shot. Now Sky are involved and it could be the downfall of them. Does Murdoch know what he’s taking on – 30,000 miserable gets? “Live from Maine Road, it’s Man City v Hartlepool.” Try selling that in America.

Full interview:
http://www.wsc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3751&Itemid=29

Surprised he didnt mention : Man City funded by slavery , it must make all supporters proud .

Utd supporters moaned at being funded by debt leverage . Seems the origins of your money is less important than actually having any .

30 pieces of silver

Grow up you idiot!

Man City are actually funded every time you fill up your car.

Thanks a lot for your contribution.

Actually don't have a car .

but supporting a football club is much more of a choice than filling up a vehicle .

Man City , funded by slavery . It be a fact that be .

also oil is available from democratic countries as well .

It's because we're passionate and for a long time there was nothing else to do. Back in the days of the Pink (the Saturday newspaper straight after the game), if united won they sold 100,000 copies and if they lost they sold just 10,000. If City won they sold 70,000 and they lost they sold 65,000. We live and breathe it:

Although it is nuts being 5-0 up with five minures to go, and getting told off for saying it's three points in the bag.

God help us if we have to look into the ethical history of every football team in the land before we decide on which one to support. There is no rationality involved in picking your team it just happens somewhere in your childhood before you have a clue what ethical means.

If someone wants to go through life looking at the ethics of every company they engage with then they won't have much time to enjoy football or anything else. Somehow I suspect all this
but supporting a football club is much more of a choice than filling up a vehicle .

Man City , funded by slavery . It be a fact that be .

is just about is seeking the moral highground to make cheapshots at another club. Unless you take such an ethical perspective with every single person and organisation you come into contact with, it is exactly that, a cheapshot.

I was interested enough to check out the roots of Man City:

'1880 St Mark’s Church forms a football team which would later evolve into MCFC.

1884 The first known ‘City shirt’ is created – in black, with a Maltese-style cross. Some say this is because of the club’s strong links with Freemasonry in the 1880s, others believe the white cross proves the link with St Mark’s was still strong.'

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/The-Club/Club-History

Nobody is saying football clubs are paragons of ethics .

but some situations are unacceptable . It is the modern day equivalent of being funded by apartheid South Africa . Its a ****ing disgrace , no ifs or butts .

but some situations are unacceptable . It is the modern day equivalent of being funded by apartheid South Africa . Its a ****ing disgrace , no ifs or butts .

I'm sure we weren't this bitter when we were rubbish.

Pray tell El Geraldo what are the morally acceptable teams to support in the PL? Obviously you have looked at them all in depth and carefully evaluated their acceptability quotient.

That is for each person to decide , however to the best of my knowledge most are funded by legal instruments of capitalism . However , when it comes to funding by a collection of criminal royals who deny basic democratic rights to their populace and have a string of human rights violations then it seems to me a fairly easy line to draw .

All owners must be fit and proper . All you need do is ban money from any country which doesn't practice democracy for all its population .

if Vincent company can get £200,000 a week of the back of slavery then he is a bigger arse than most supporters but don't get me wrong , all supporters who don't protest are arses .

That is for each person to decide.

Total cop out. You have hoisted yourself onto the moral highground to call City fans arses for accepting the high wages paid to Kompany. So should fans of the following teams also be denigrated in a similar way.

Newcastle being sponsored by Wonga, or Marlon King who sexually assaulted and punched a woman being warmly applauded by fans at his new club, Coventry. And John Terry and his racist abuse of another player. Have you 'protested' against these developments?

You just pick one issue to criticise a team you don't care for and don't apply ethical considerations across the board, because if you did there is no team or indeed institution of any kind you could interact with.

PS who is your team anyway who are so ethically pure?

That is for each person to decide , however to the best of my knowledge most are funded by legal instruments of capitalism . However , when it comes to funding by a collection of criminal royals who deny basic democratic rights to their populace and have a string of human rights violations then it seems to me a fairly easy line to draw .

All owners must be fit and proper . All you need do is ban money from any country which doesn't practice democracy for all its population .

if Vincent company can get £200,000 a week of the back of slavery then he is a bigger arse than most supporters but don't get me wrong , all supporters who don't protest are arses .

What on earth are you talking about ? Have you ever been to Abu Dhabi ?

advertisement

Back