advertisement

Maris Piper or King Edward Roasties

mil46

pfm Member
Normally have King Edward. Not able to get them at the moment so will give Maris Pipers a go. Any others out there that make fabulous roasties for the special day?

You'll do fine. I like to squash them down a little, maybe about 20%, for the last 15 minutes in the oven - works a treat. Vegetable oil just fine.

I prefer King Edwards too, but if they’re not available then Maris Pipers are good too, as are the red skinned Roosters. A lot of it is in the parboiling and roasting times and methods used. I don’t eat meat so use olive oil for roasting, but I’m sure there will be lots of duck, goose and swan fat recommendations any time now!

I prefer King Edwards too, but if they’re not available then Maris Pipers are good too, as are the red skinned Roosters. A lot of it is in the parboiling and roasting times and methods used. I don’t eat meat so use olive oil for roasting, but I’m sure there will be lots of duck, goose and swan fat recommendations any time now!
Swan fat? Surely not

Maris pipers, olive oil, no parboiling before
Peel, chop, coat in oil , bit of salt
oven at 180, 45 mins, perfect

Bartlett’s and Goose fat, bit of salt. Tree is up, only on emergency calls from now until 4th, be even quieter than usual this year I reckon . Looking forward to roasters and gravy, even more so than the turkey.

Bartlett’s and Goose fat, bit of salt. Tree is up, only on emergency calls from now until 4th, be even quieter than usual this year I reckon . Looking forward to roasters and gravy, even more so than the turkey.
Yeah agree, turkey doesn’t do it for me. If it wasn’t for the missus being all traditional and that, probably just stick with a nice bit of beef. However looking forward to the roasties, all fluffy in the middle, crisp on the outside cooked in goose fat. Can’t wait... may go and cook a couple now.

Everyone has a different variation to how they cook and how any variety of spud roasts varies as a consequence.

I have never cooked a turkey and have cooked goose for Christmas for well over 20 years, and despite claims aplenty otherwise, I don't see goose fat as any great "recipe" for any kind of spectacular cooking, roasties or anything else.

There is precisely NOTHING traditional about roast turkey - it was uncommon even when I was a lad in the 60's. At that time, most people had chicken, which I do like and do cook, but not at Christmas.

Turkey as a common, affordable roast came about courtesy of Bernard Matthews and a very few other enterprising farmers, starting in the 50's.

no, wrong flavour for a trad roast. Goose fat.

no roasties for us this year - having a potato and parsnip gratin.

To be fair I've used goose fat at christmas a couple of times and truth be known, it's no game changer in my opinion

Either way a good roastie is like nectar :D

no, wrong flavour for a trad roast. Goose fat.

no roasties for us this year - having a potato and parsnip gratin.

That's an interesting option - we've gone for a leg of lamb for a change, and gratin potatoes goes nicely with lamb so I might try something similar.

To be fair I've used goose fat at christmas a couple of times and truth be known, it's no game changer in my opinion

Either way a good roastie is like nectar :D

Well if you do roast a goose, you end up with pints of fat so you have to come up with something to do with it all...

Well if you do roast a goose, you end up with pints of fat so you have to come up with something to do with it all...

Pour off as the bird roasts, into a saucepan. Next day, heat some cleaned jam jars and JUST melt the fat, pour into the jars, allow to cool and then refrigerate. It will last, perfectly OK, for literally years. I found a jar at the very back of the fridge a few weeks back, dated 2018, and it was fine when used.

The real secret is to buy the very smallest goose you can as it will be relatively lean - extra weight is usually much more fat and not much more lean.

Also - goose is the only thing that I cook on a trivet/roasting rack......

The potatoes are largely irrelevant as long as they are not ‘new’.

I use a steamer to part cook them for around 10-15 minutes then add them to hot fat or oil before roasting. Depending upon size this will take another 20 mins or so. Another trick is to cut the potatoes so they have sharp edges, then rough them up slightly before add inf to the oil/fat.

advertisement

Back