advertisement

Marantz CD84 rebuild

Mike P

Trade: Pickwell Audio
I've been at it again; this time rebuilding a lovely classic Marantz CD84.

Stripped down to almost just a bare chassis. Note the separate transformer for the display.
20210424_212657 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Philips CDM1 disc loading mech in lots of bits.
20210413_083806 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Lots and lots of disgusting corrosive glue to remove. Some of the component legs were almost rotten right through! Very laborious work.

20210401_210943 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Rebuilt Philips CDM1 laser mech. Interestingly this Japanese built Marantz unit has a different motor platter and the PCB's are different too. As usual the blue coloured 33uF Philips axial caps were knackered.
20210413_141021 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Recapped servo board
20210415_133341 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

DAC board
20210415_134505 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Power supply
20210424_130620 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Lots of stuff heading to the dustbin
20210425_073557 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

All done
20210424_130611 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

And finally, a beauty shot.
20210425_073238 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Well...it really makes you question what progress has been made with regards to Redbook CD playback since the mid 80's.

I know. I use a Philips CD960, CD473 and Marantz 273 se, regularly and think a lot of newer stuff is too cold and clinical.

Superb! How does it sound compared to the 337ES?

Sorry for the delayed reply. At the time of my previous post I hadn't yet had a chance to listen to the CD84 on my main system and had only tried it with my DIY headphone amp and Sennheiser HD650's. I've now enjoyed a bit of time getting to know it as part of my main main system (Tannoy Ardens + Radford STA25) and it has been very interesting.

This isn't my first TDA1540 based player; I own a couple of Philips CD104's and a while ago I restored one to the same standard as I've just done with the CD84 (link). I've also had a bit of time with a friends Marantz CD74 (stock) and CD73 (NOS conversion).

To my surprise the CD84 sounds really quite different to any of the above mentioned players, despite sharing the same basic chipset and laser mech. The thing that strikes you most about the CD84 is that it is sooo smooth. It's a very non-fatiguing listen, not at all forward or bright. Bass is all there but not overly powerful. The mid-range is lovely and has great texture. You could easily be forgiven for thinking it had a valve output stage! It also has great depth to the soundstage and I wonder whether the fact that the TDA1540 is a mono DAC chip may be of significance in this regard? (dual mono = no crosstalk between channels).

I actually haven't owned a 337esd for quite a while now, although I have had several pass through my hands for servicing and upgrades. These days the only CD player in my rack is a Marantz CD12 transport and DA12 DAC combo. The other highlights of my personal collection are a Marantz CDA94 (DAC), Philips CD960, Sony CDP-555esd (my favourite one-box player) and mega-modified Sony CDP710.

I'm been really enjoying the CD84 but I've decided that I want a silver CD84 one to match the rest of my kit instead of a black one, so this one is potentially available for sale.

A bargain for someone Mike. Keeping my Sony 502es that you kindly serviced and if my Meridian 206 ever gets into problems hopefully you will be happy to have a look.

Better move it to the Classifieds. GLWTS.

Beautiful work as ever Mike! Where is my brother's old 873 in your to do pile? I'll be interested to see what you manage to do with it, especially as my dad was going to put it in the bin :eek:

Beautiful work as ever Mike! Where is my brother's old 873 in your to do pile? I'll be interested to see what you manage to do with it, especially as my dad was going to put it in the bin :eek:

I gave it a good service and it now lives with my best friend as part of his home office system.

advertisement

Back