advertisement

Marantz 75ohm coax female socket size

Riverside

pfm Member
I am completely baffled. I recently bought a Marantz ST7001 tuner, which has an FM antenna connection which Marantz describe as:

Antenna terminals .........................75 /ohm Unbalanced

A rear view of the tuner can be seen here:

http://www.marantz.com/image/products/e_st7001_bck.gif

However, as far as I can tell, the ST7001 FM antenna connection is a different sized 75 ohm coax socket than is standard in the UK. Specifically, it is smaller.

Also, as far as I can tell (and I have spent about 8 hours Googling this so far today!), 75 ohm male coax connectors (such as would be used on the end of an aerial lead) only come in one size here.

So, if I wish to use an FM aerial other than that supplied with the ST7001, this will not be possible unless I can source the correct sized 75 ohm male coax connector.

Presumably I would need to order one from the Japanese equivalent of Maplins, or similar?

Are you sure it is a female socket? My vintage Denon TU-850 has a male on the back panel, so the female socket needs to be on the aerial lead which is a bit odd.

Tony.

Absolutely certain, yes.
In fact, Tony was right.

The tuner has a male coax plug on the rear panel. It is a male coax plug with a hollow centre pin, and the internal FM aerial supplied with the tuner has what I suppose one could describe as a "mini-male" coax plug - it has a very narrow centre pin (almost a piece of wire) which fits into the hollow centre pin of the male coax plug on the tuner's real panel, and overall diameter which allows it to connect to the male coax plug also.

advertisement

Back