advertisement

Manticore Mantra platter ?

LesW thanks for that, Ill keep it in mind. The MDF is fitted but TBH its not a brilliant job, Ive also found a few perspex companies that offer custom 300mm 12mm discs with a central hole for a really attractive price, so for now Im OK.

Ive also swapped one of my infrared modified cameras for an AT cartridge, so thats sorted too :)

Good News everyone !! The guy I got the TT off has just mailed me to say hes found the original glass platter :) Hurrahhhh !!!!

73s dude :)

**Finally*** got all the paint off the sub chassis, took three coats of Diall paint stripper and four or five wire wool balls. Down to bare steel, going to bake it tomorrow to get all moisture out, alcohol clean then spray with hammerite or similar. THEN I can reassemble it and set it up. Yayy.

First coat on sub chassis after completely paint stripping, took three coats to get the old paint off. It had to go, as it was rust spotted.

14249760_10208476002150181_237908333450864334_o.jpg

Tis done , well almost -

Well, the old Manticore Mantra turntable is proving it worth already. Not fully properly setup yet, its sat here playing Swingle Singers at me and sounding very sweet indeed :)

This was a freebie off my local Freecycle, missing its platter, lid and stylus off the Grado cartridge I had a lot of work to do. First try and source a platter - I had one made in MDF which worked, but then a few days later the guy who gifted it to me found the original glass platter and felt mat :)

After a complete strip down the paint was stripped off the sub chassis (rust spots under the paint), it was sandblasted, cleaned and resprayed matt black. The plinth needed nothing more than a very light sanding with superfine, and a wax finish. A new base of 12mm MDF is waiting to be cut to size and fitted on Sorbothane feet.

I found an old AT91 cartridge with reasonable sylus at a car boot sale (I do have a new AT95 on its way from Canada, a swap for one of my infrared cameras).

Eventually Ill get round to reqiring the arm (Rega RB300), but thats later on.

Rather pleased with myself today :)

14231318_10208482498872595_3720147574081032511_o.jpg

Well done g8ina. Can't say I've ever got anything off Feecycle that's desirable as that. Would have been interesting to see the state of the sub chassis prior to painting.

Unfortunately, posting a photo of your own audio kit with a bowl of plums on top is a major breach of PFM terms & conditions. ;)

They're my plums and I'll flash em to anyone I have a care to thanks :)

Sub chassis wasnt too bad, but did have rust under paint bubbles, so it really did need the full strip. I didnt take any pics before I stripped it sorry :)

Now listening to Mike Oldfield Tubular bells live in SQ quad, being more or less faithfully decoded by my Denon AV amp in PLII :)

I feel like Im 22 again :)

Now listening to Mike Oldfield Tubular bells live in SQ quad, being more or less faithfully decoded by my Denon AV amp in PLII :)

PLII? Pro Logic II? On vinyl? I'm afraid you've lost me there.

Incidentally, I think I have the same or very similar Denon AV amp (1705?), although I suspect the DAC(s) has gone on mine as the digital inputs sound dreadful. Planning to use it for a cheap/trial active system project, if I ever get around to it.

Yep, apparently the SQ phasing encoding is handled pretty well by Dolby Pro Logic !! Several sites agree.

Mine is a 1803, and I have a 2803 in the bedroom. Nice amps.

Is it all digital inputs or just one or the other coax / optical ?

advertisement

Back