advertisement

Mana, why shouldn't I go back to Phase One?

Has all the makings of a new Dan Brown book the Working title is The Judas Code which will cover why I left the mana enclave after finding the secret of phases looping back on themselves like a moebius strip so that phase 0 was as good as phase infinity. Forbidden knowledge! There are high priests!! Pink Floyd at Stonehenge!!! Rude stuff done to donkeys!!!! Plus we get to blow up a lava lamp factory!!!!!

You gotta work in the clipper chip and medieval tapestries somewhere...maybe a sequel.

...Dr. Wietse Zweitze Venema, cleverly disguised as an undercover tapestry dealer suspects the black t-shirted Mana welders know more about The Evil Axis than the hifi community ever dreamed. Lingo?, Rekursiv?, ...just exactly what are they building in there?

What I love about Mana is how the descriptions of how it sounds vary so much. Does it make everything more upfront or smooth the nasties of Naim?

I fancy having another go with Mana. And Naim. And Linn.
I have all three as my primo front end, and it's fabulous by all who have heard it.

Mana Soundshelf, Linn LP12, Naim Geddon/ARO.

Oh wait, you weren't serious ...

James :D

On a well set up phase one the glass has a real 'boing' when you knock it. It doesn't sound 'forward' or 'warm', but musical and exciting. A bit leaner and flatter than the phase 4. Could live with this if I had to.

Phase 2 is 'better', than phase 1 (more bass, bigger picture, more detailed) but not as musically coherent. And it is a lot more work to get right. My wife would like me to go back to phase 4, because the other phases are in the way ;-). She prefers Mana over Naim Fraim BTW.

James, I was very serious. I realise now that all my angst was having a huge concrete box of a listening room. Now I'm back somewhere sensible what I have now sounds fine, just as Mana, Linn, Naim would; but its too expensive.

The P9 is on phase 4 again. This is obviously 'better' than phase 1 or 2. Phase 1, although not as realistic /hi-fi, was a lot more fun. Do you think I did something wrong?

I watched with a mixture of disbelief and utter amusement throughout the "Mana years".

Utter, utter bunkum. Never understood how anyone could remember what extremely subtle differences sounded like in the time it took to assemble these eyesores. I also used to laugh to myself at those discussing the key phases. It was always clearly just "willy waving" by those who could afford to buy it all in order to give them a superiority complex. Everytime the new optimum number was decided on it was always an increased number of intervals just to keep those trying to stay in touch out of the game. Ha ha!

How many times can a sound stage "open up"?

I also noticed these views became less firmly entrenched as soon as the company went to the wall.

Loooooonies.
Jonathan

Bizarrely enough in my second system, I have a Linn, Naim, Meridian, DPA, Epos and Mana and it all sounds better on Phase 2 than it did on that non ferrous weenie boy stuff ;)

advertisement

Back