advertisement

Man cave

Conan

Loop digger
I am thinking of putting a man cave in my garden where I can have my system TV and chill out.
Looking at something 4m wide and 3m deep.
Problem is I do not know where to start.
Budget is £6000. Can I get anything decent for that money?

You could definitely build something nice for that budget if you are prepared to site manager it
As for ready built buy in unit...I'm not sure

You can easily get a log cabin type building for less than £3000 in that size. Factor in mains electricity, burglar alarm, insulation, good to go.

What about a garden shed? 4m x 3m 45mm thick walls and insulated are available for around £4000

or are you after something more like a brick outhouse?

Andy

Edit. You beat me to it Olaup!

Prices for raw materials have gone sky high, decent workmen are like hens teeth in most places it seems, depends if you want a shed/cabin style or a pukka room with all the comforts? Also depends where you live, some places are not well covered for delivery.

A log cabin should be well under £6K but a full on install probably be more, lots of websites with configurators and quotes.

You might need a bigger space if you have the room as most sheds/garden rooms are measured from the outside dimensions, by the time you have added insulation and chipboard or plaster board you will lose a bit of space inside. Concrete base is the best option, I have four sheds and two are on decking, one on slabs and one on a MOT and plastic base, the later I wouldn’t do again.

I built my own a little bigger than that (5m x 4m plus loft and mezzanine) and the materials alone came to probably £10k plus. I lost count before the end. Spec of course is everything but a space that's warm, dry and comfortable all year round is not going to be cheap.

Mind you such things are lovely to have and I'd say well worth it. Everyone wants to use ours all the time. If you can make sure it's suitable for WFH and looks quite cool then you'll probably add whatever you spend on it to the value of your house. More if you make good choices, though I suppose that might depend where you live.

Sorry to say but you will probably need nearer £20k unless you can do a lot of the work yourself.

I really like the idea of doing this myself, listening to music as loud as I wish, party space in the garden etc. Unlikely to ever happen.

Check the planning restrictions. You are normally fine under 15m2, but anything bigger needs planning consent and there are other rules too.

Old 20ft shipping container
eco-pod.jpg

That's a good solution but you still need to fit it out, which will soak up £1000 + for electricity, lighting etc.

Old 20ft shipping container
eco-pod.jpg
Looks great, but that has cost A LOT more than any £6k.

How much are prepared to DIY? You could get a pile of pallets, some long screws and start building for very little, then clad and insulate it for about £1k. Then windows, doors, power.

I am thinking of putting a man cave in my garden where I can have my system TV and chill out.
Looking at something 4m wide and 3m deep.
Problem is I do not know where to start.
Budget is £6000. Can I get anything decent for that money?

Provided you have some skills, imagination and patience you can get a long way with that money by going down the 'recycle/reclaimed/freecycle route

If you can find the time, look for allotments in your area and take a walk around, amazing what some people put together !!
One I pass regularly has a sizeable and very attractive palace built almost entirely from recycled double glazing units ;)
- awesome and very inspirational.

I would suggest seeing one in person - looks to me like a slightly posh shed (also everything sounds thicker in mm .... ;)
By the sound of it, only the load bearing wood is pressure treated and guaranteed so you would need to add the cost of a solid base to put it on to prevent the floor/lower woodwork from rotting and ensure all external woodwork is properly and thoroughly treated (not included in the purchase price!) - then add the various wiring requirements from the house.
Soon ticks on ....

I was thinking of something like this

Curiosity got the better of me - the floor is made of an MFP 'sandwich' = two layers of 10 mm MFP and a 300 mm insulation filling.

MFP is basically a form of chipboard - more details here:
https://www.maldrew.com.pl/en/product/mfp-10mm-board-1250mm-x-2500mm-pfleidere

NOTE:
"Wood-based panels should be protected against direct water exposure (both during construction works and after their completion). Why? The surface of the boards is ground, so that it maintains its smoothness, it must be protected from the effects of water."

So even more reason to spend a bit more on making sure the shed is placed on a well founded and solidly constructed base to mitigate against water ingress from below.

Curiosity got the better of me - the floor is made of an MFP 'sandwich' = two layers of 10 mm MFP and a 300 mm insulation filling.

MFP is basically a form of chipboard - more details here:
https://www.maldrew.com.pl/en/product/mfp-10mm-board-1250mm-x-2500mm-pfleidere

NOTE:
"Wood-based panels should be protected against direct water exposure (both during construction works and after their completion). Why? The surface of the boards is ground, so that it maintains its smoothness, it must be protected from the effects of water."

So even more reason to spend a bit more on making sure the shed is placed on a well founded and solidly constructed base to mitigate against water ingress from below.
Composite wood used for floor panels? Avoid, avoid. My shed came with the house, it wasn't in great condition. Sterling (OSB) panel roof, leaking slightly and knackered. Some sort of chip floor, suffering. Some timber bearers, some past their best. All standing on a decent slab base. It's repaired now but the floor needs to be proper wood, ideally pressure treated.

You could get a pile of pallets, some long screws and start building

My mate did exactly that... bought some strong pallets locally for about £250...made a base by screwing some together then walls by standing some on end on top of the base..
Pushed insulation into the voids and sheeted out the interior and shiplapped the exterior
Then put a ply roof on it all and got a professional roofer in to hot tar and felt it.

Really surprised how well it all came out and looked...all in about £2k for 5m x 3m shed

advertisement

Back