advertisement

Malcolm Steward RIP

Very sad to advise that Malcolm Steward passed away this morning. Thought are with his wife Phillipa, his family and friends. RIP Malcolm

I'm really sorry to hear that. I was hoping against hope that he would recover, but it was always going to be an uphill battle; RIP Malcolm and condolences to his family.

One can't make a judgement but I don't think his last years were at all pleasant for him. Very much diminished from the acerbic Malkie of old.

He did manage a trip from his care home to see a T Rex tribute band and seemed to have enjoyed it.

Sad and relieved that this has come to an end.

Today at 10.00AM my poor friend and great Hi-Fi critic died after a long illness.
My deepest sympathy go out to his wife and children.
Malcolm was involved in a car crash a few year ago which left him bed bound.
Malcolm gave me as Inca Tech and Dreadnought and Magnum and TQ some great and critical reviews in the past, he was always fun to be around warm and funny we will miss him, Rest in peace my dear friend.

Macolm Steward was one of the journalist's who got me first interested in hi-fi as a means to enjoy music more. Hi-fi Review, which he edited alongside Ian Rankin (novelist) as assistant editor, was the first hi-fi magazine I bought regularly. Brilliant music features e.g. of Jan Garbarek.

I liked reading his later reviews in other publications on e.g. the Well Tempered Amadeus turntable. Was always about the music.

Sad. Malcolm was one of the few reviewers whose opinion I trusted. I agreed with him and liked the kit that he liked. In my opinion, he was one of the people responsible for keeping Hi-Fi magazines honest and sane in an era when there was a huge amount of garbage printed.

Not saying he was perfect, but he was one of the very best. R.I.P.

Sad news.... I enjoyed Malcolm Steward's reviews and opinion and advice columns in HFR and Audiophile back in "the day". Seemed like one of the good guys. Condolences to his family and friends.

Very sad news. I enjoyed reading HiFi Review in the late '80s and early '90s.
If I recall he liked to listen to his music LOUD via a big Linn/Naim system back then.
Never spoke to Malcolm but saw him at the Bristol HiFi Show a few times. I think he was in retail originally?
RIP and a sad day for me as it was the funeral of my 88 year old Mother earlier today, but poor Malcolm was taken too soon.

Condolences to Malcolm’s family and friends. An amazing writer - to the point and thought-provoking. He had a taste in music that matched my own - so I would eagerly explore his recommendations.

We also share a love of hyphens.

Andrew

advertisement

Back