advertisement

Malaysia plane 'crashes in Ukraine'

JohnW

pfm member
If true, can you believe how unlucky poor Malaysia airlines is to loose a second 777 this year!

Poor souls, 280 passengers and 15 crew members, RIP

What is the bet its been shot down - its going to be a real mess (no matter who shot it down but if it was the Russians....)

16:42: Aviation expert Chris Yates says the plane would have been full, if reports that it was carrying 295 passengers are correct. He says the plane would have been flying at a height of some six miles (9.7km).

16:39:BREAKING NEWS A tweet from Malaysian Airlines: "Malaysia Airlines has lost contact of MH17 from Amsterdam. The last known position was over Ukrainian airspace. More details to follow."

16:36: The BBC's Daniel Sandford in Moscow says that the area in which the plane is reported to have come down is right in the centre of the area controlled by anti-Kiev rebels - although of course details are still coming in.

16:36: Again according to the Interfax agency only, Anton Herashchenko an adviser to the Ukrainian deputy interior minister has apparently confirmed the crash.

16:34: The Interfax news agency reported 295 people - 280 passengers and 15 crew members - were on board the flight, en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

16:31: The Boeing 777 plane was flying in an international air corridor over eastern Ukraine when it crashed, the Russian news agency reported.

16:27: The crash has reportedly happened on the Ukrainian side of the Russia - Ukraine border, scene of tension between the two countries.

16:24: Reports suggest a passenger plane has crashed in eastern Ukraine. The early reports come from an "aviation source" who was quoted by the privately-owned Russian Interfax news agency

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-28354787

"16:42: Aviation expert Chris Yates says the plane would have been full, if reports that it was carrying 295 passengers are correct. He says the plane would have been flying at a height of some six miles (9.7km)."

Apparently, its only the Russians (in the area) that have Missiles that can shoot a plane down from that altitude... Oh this is going to be a real mess!

16:50: The Associated Press says one of its journalists saw a similar launcher near the eastern Ukrainian town of Snizhe earlier on Thursday.

16:50: An advisor to the Ukrainian interior minister, Anton Gerashenko, says the plane was flying at an altitude of 10,000 metres (33,000 feet) when it was "hit by a missile fired from a Buk launcher", in a post on his Facebook page, according to the Associated Press.

Now on the Independant:

295 people have reportedly died after a Malaysian passenger aircraft crashed after being shot down near the Russian border in eastern Ukraine on Thursday, according to an adviser to Ukraine's Interior Minister.

The plane appeared to have come down in a region of military action where Ukrainian government forces are battling pro-Russian separatists.

I wonder if any of these scaremongering news agencies will apologise if the cause is found to be that it was not shot down by Ukraine rebels or Russia?

Oh, bloody hell!

Chris

Yes Bloody Hell!!!

If it was the rebels, Where did the they manage to get such a sophisticated Missile system? No points for guessing!

This is just heart breaking for the family's of the passengers!

May they RIP...

I wonder if any of these scaremongering news agencies will apologise if the cause is found to be that it was not shot down by Ukraine rebels or Russia?

What are the chances??? you must be mad not to suspect its been shot down.. the odds are enormous for any other possibility (considering the location)...

As ever, I will wait for some credible and definitive evidence either way. You have no idea of the odds of anything.

I would expect a good few systems of all shapes and sizes and from a few interested parties were keeping tabs on this plane as it transited the airspace. If early reports are to be believed the plane was at a far greater hight than previous drownings and this may suggest a different type of missile system being used.

Let us see what information is released and if data from differing sources support a common theory as to what happened. People have died, with luck the world may find out the how but the why may well may well be harder to fathom.

The odds of a grumpy post from some lil' fish = 1/1

Hardly grumpy. I know most pfmers are too impatient or uninterested in facts and would rather reach judgement without wasting time on evidence or due process.

A quick traul through a bit of the web reveals that...

It was the Russians that did it.
It was the Ukranians that did it.
It was the seperatists that did it.
It was the Americans that did it.

So far I've not spotted it being Israel or North Korea, but it's only a matter of time.

I am already panic buying Ice Cream for the weekend heatwave. What else do I need to panic buy for World War III?

It's about time consideration was given to equipping satellites with missile launch plume recognition equipment. It's fitted to many military aircraft, and gives the crew immediate warning of the surface-to-air attack.

It must be possible to nail down exactly where, or if, a missile has been launched.

advertisement

Back