advertisement

Mal Waldron’s ecstatic minimalism

Lovely article, thanks for that. I like the way the author has managed to describe such a breadth of history and context. I saw Mal Waldron in the early/mid 90s in a duo/solo setting with Steve Lacy, playing original compositions and some Monk. A very memorable concert.

Not so sure the term Ecstatic Minimalism would have occurred to me at the time. May be more appropriate for Julius Eastman and Meredith Monk?

The Waldron Lacy Hat Huts are amazing. Envious of anyone who saw that Duo live.

Both musicians certainly had a lot of presence and - for want of a better word - stature. Maybe it’s familiarity with recordings and knowing the history of each musician that adds to the gravitas, but despite that the playing felt very personal and fresh, nothing formulaic or dispensable. A friend of mine called it majestic.

I saw the Steve Lacy quintet at their glorious peak in the early 80s, supported by Keith Tippett solo. Years later Keith told me that every evening on the tour - just before the band were about to begin playing - Lacy would turn to the musicians and say “everybody strapped in?” And it was like that - ‘fasten your safety belts we are in for one hell of a ride’. Exciting stuff.

Graham I love that story and it prompted me to search the ether for something similar that was nagging in my mind and think it was this from Lacy in a Wire interview many years ago.

"When I used to work with Monk, he used to say, 'Let's lift the bandstand'. That's magic, man, when the bandstand levitates. I didn't know how to do it - but I knew what he was talking about. Old dreams but they're still valid."

anyway back to Mal.

"When I used to work with Monk, he used to say, 'Let's lift the bandstand'. That's magic, man, when the bandstand levitates. I didn't know how to do it - but I knew what he was talking about. Old dreams but they're still valid."

Excellent quote, well remembered - all adds up now.

Listened to some Mal last night, a bootlegish quality 1969 set called Set Mee Free with Barre Philips and Philly Joe Jones. His style on this one would certainly fit the ecstatic minimalism monika. I’ll have to see if I can obtain a copy of Mal 1, I’ve never heard it.

There is a CD reissue of left alone with an interview with Mal talking about working with Billie Holliday which is excellent.

I buy all the Waldron albums that I can find with the possible exception of those where he tackles 'standards' or popular tunes. His distinctive playing just does not suit these tunes IMO. He made tons of albums in Europe and Japan. Some of the Waldron/Lacy albums are great.

I have quite a few records he plays on but none where he leads. What would you recommend as good starting points from those currently available?

Free At Last has just been reissued by ECM - double LP with second LP containing some unreleased longer takes - recorded 1969.

Set Me Free, although limited audio quality, is also worth a listen for his rhythmic approach with an excellent rhythm section of Barre Philips and Philly Joe Jones. The music shines through the limited audio, but get to hear it before purchase.

And I’ve just been highly recommended his solo Meditations from 1973 which all accounts seems to be the essence of his later style. I’ll be streaming it later.

I like the later still 'The Super Quartet of Mal Waldron featuring Steve Lacy - 'Live at Sweet Basil' from 1987. Two Waldron compositions and two by Monk. Analogue recording, but digital mix down. Recorded by Japanese King Records. I have the German pressing.

I buy all the Waldron albums that I can find

I've started doing this too - though you come across surprisingly little browsing shops and fairs, perhaps because a number of releases were Japan only or CD only (for whatever reason I don't find myself buying many CDs). And what I do find is often not cheap!

Sempre Amore is really good and I think not hard to find. I still love the early work Mal1 through 4 especially if Jackie McLean is on there. The Quest and all the Dolphy collaborations. I have the original vinyl of Let’s Call This with Lacy on Hat Hut which is probably a bit dear but haven’t checked recently

The Quest is essential, although I seem to have overlooked Mal 1 to 4 from his earlier period.

Hothouse with Steve Lacy from 1989 is also good, an album of cover versions with compositions from the like of Tad Dameron, Ellington and Herbie Nichols. I hear quite a bit of Nichols in Waldron’s rhythmic style, but I suppose that’s inevitable with Monk as a core influence on both.

Have dug into my Waldron collection. I have quite a few of the German Enja and Tutu LPs which I haven’t played for some time

Just listening to Fire Waltz a tribute to Dolphy and Booker Little. Very good, not sure I’ve Previously paid much attention to Terence Blanchard or Donald Harrison but impressive on this.
Also recommend a late 2002 CD One more Time with Lacy and JJ Avenel on Sketch ( Harmonia Mundi )which is beautiful ( quick edit to say this is an astoundingly well recorded disc)

I've started doing this too - though you come across surprisingly little browsing shops and fairs, perhaps because a number of releases were Japan only or CD only (for whatever reason I don't find myself buying many CDs). And what I do find is often not cheap!

Yes it's true some of his albums are hard to find outside of Japan but he made quite a number of great albums on Enja and Soul Note. Those should be more available?

There seems to be v. little of his stuff available on either vinyl or CD. Things like the Black Saint remasters are going for between £40 and £80. I think I might be exploring via Sonos until I get a chance to do some browsing in real shops. Free at Last sounds a bit weak overall as a session compared to some other stuff but I might invest.

I've did, however, pick up a copy of Alone Again Revisited with Archie Sheep as a starting point.

I'm streaming the Git Go at the moment - I do need a copy of this at some point. Fabulous stuff.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back