advertisement

Mains wiring to hifi

Now need to stop my office speakers humming when SWMBO dries her hair :rolleyes:

I've notice the same with Jan's Panasonic hairdryer. I have promised her a Dyson at some point, so I hope that is quieter as it is about 6 times the price... :eek:

I have the whole of my room on a separate RCB with 4mm T&A. Apparently the 6mm won't fit an MK socket.

I have 2 MK unswitched sockets and thought I would connect everything through them but there was a slight touch of hum so have everything going in to one socket from a Russ Andrews 8 plug board.

It has been this way for 14 years.

I have the whole of my room on a separate RCB with 4mm T&A. Apparently the 6mm won't fit an MK socket.

I have 2 MK unswitched sockets and thought I would connect everything through them but there was a slight touch of hum so have everything going in to one socket from a Russ Andrews 8 plug board.

It has been this way for 14 years.

MCB, rcbo, RCD

What would you call them Mike?

Bit surprised, Graham. A spur, by definition is a cable emanating from another circuit. A radial circuit, as its name implies, radiates from a central hub. This is an electrical and terminological definition of each. If you have 5 cables coming from your dedicated c.u. (or any c.u.) they are radial circuits which start at your c.u..

i think this confusion started just afterWW2 when, unusually, Britain started rolling out ring mains to save on copper (and cost), so nearly all add-ons were spurs. Later on, high amperage items (showers, cookers) required a separate, more robust circuit and radials were installed. For some odd reason, for many people connected with electrics in the earlier days, any extra circuit was a spur. This is just my understanding, mind.

It will, an MK socket fits 10mm although an electrician might dispute this on the basis that it wasn’t designed to take anything that thick and squeezing the excess into the back box is a bit tight.

It will, an MK socket fits 10mm although an electrician might dispute this on the basis that it wasn’t designed to take anything that thick and squeezing the excess into the back box is a bit tight.

That's why the minimum back box I install is 35mm 47mm for shower, cooker or bonkers audiophile.

I've notice the same with Jan's Panasonic hairdryer. I have promised her a Dyson at some point, so I hope that is quieter as it is about 6 times the price... :eek:
This is a common problem. Cheap devices use a diode to give a 'half' setting and this unbalances the mains supply with 'spikes' and can cause xformers to hum. This may happen even if you power the HD via an isolation xformer. Quite a few other devices use this technique to provide a half power setting.

In most cases your bog standard ring main is good enough for HiFi. So don't waste your money. The only time that radials are required are for high current devices e.g. immersion heaters and electric cookers etc. I'm sure that at one time Jez would have used more colourful language to describe the folly thats sometimes spouted on pfm wrt to mains lecky and cables.

Cheers,

DV

My hi fi is on a spur from the DB using 6mm TWE but the earth is not connected at the wall socket end. Instead I run the earth using a separate 10mm from the wall socket back through the DB to the company earth block. This has removed pretty well all splats and bangs.
This is what we used to do when a new supply was needed in a studio. Earth was generally a copper bus bar or 1 or 2 25mm cables back to the incoming company supply earth which was usually a 12 - 25 mm copper plate insulated from the ground. This tended to avoid nasty earth potential differences between studios and the like which were often on different phases.

John

I switch on my audio system and enjoy listening to the music.

I was rewiring other things at the time. I wouldn’t bother otherwise. I never checked whether it made any difference. I’m, at best, a slovenly audiophile:) But you might be missing out by being so disinterested ;)

That's why the minimum back box I install is 35mm 47mm for shower, cooker or bonkers audiophile.
10mm T&E is a bit of a struggle even with the deepest back box. You have to push pretty hard to bend the excess cable into place while taking care not to trap it, damage the insulation or strain the connections. Perfectly possible with care, but a reluctant sparky who already thinks you’re a nut case might easily put his foot down and say no.

It will, an MK socket fits 10mm

Yes, I've done it a few times; tight fit and it has to be a sympathetic socket (they vary)

are for high current devices e.g. immersion heaters and electric cookers etc.

My immersion is 3kW and I thought that was pretty standard. It's fitted with flex (i.e. not t& e so presumably is off the ring circuit. At 12 amps max, it doesn't rate a radial.

My hi fi is on a spur from the DB using 6mm TWE but the earth is not connected at the wall socket end. Instead I run the earth using a separate 10mm from the wall socket back through the DB to the company earth block.

???? Beyond me (spur, DB, TWE). Does sound complicated though, at least for what's left of my grey matter.;)

I’m, at best, a slovenly audiophile

I empathise. I'm so slovenly nowadays I just can't face the hassle of firing everything up and doing the reverse at the end.. Life USED to be simpler when one push on the mute button activated most things. However, Mutty, you're not serious about the 5 amp circuit, surely? That's the same as some case fuses !:)

Yes, I've done it a few times; tight fit and it has to be a sympathetic socket (they vary)

My immersion is 3kW and I thought that was pretty standard. It's fitted with flex (i.e. not t& e so presumably is off the ring circuit. At 12 amps max, it doesn't rate a radial.

???? Beyond me (spur, DB, TWE). Does sound complicated though, at least for what's left of my grey matter.;)

I empathise. I'm so slovenly nowadays I just can't face the hassle of firing everything up. Life USED to be simpler when one push on the mute button....... However, Mutty, you're not serious about the 5 amp circuit, surely? That's the same as some case fuses !:)
Just to prove a point I once managed to fit two 10mm wires into the connector on an MK socket as I was considering putting two double sockets on the same dedicated circuit. In the end I decided on a different solution as it was going to be a real struggle to get the connected socket onto the back box, but probably not impossible.

advertisement

Back