advertisement

Mains Voltage (again)

artoly

pfm Member
What are peoples thoughts about mains voltage-regulating power conditioners? Are they a good idea if voltage is a bit high for the components?

NZ is supposedly 230V (like UK is also supposed to be) and I am measuring 235 to 244V in my wall outlets at different times. I know that should theoretically be within general tolerances, but; my DAC and Power Amp have just been repaired after failures from suspected over-voltage. (I can't be certain if that is just from these elevated voltages or from another power 'event'). The power amp is only rated for 220V (2004 C/J 350 solid state). The DAC has 220V and 230V written on the back in different places, so not sure about that.

I am a bit nervous about plugging that power amp back in, and am trying to decide on a system-wide voltage regulation/conditioning option, or a more basic isolating transformer designed to step the voltage down, say, 12V just for the boxes that might be more sensitive. It would be a shame to compromise the sound over this though.

It would appear that most conditioners don’t also regulate voltage, but I have read about the Furman SPR-16 E I (being expensive for me, and also requires changing the mains cable loom to suit the different outlet plug types). I have also been looking at AliExpress options like this one, which they may configure to order (T.B.C.).

Consider a custom isolation transformer. You would have to pop it into a box and add connectors, but it would be a fun and easy project. Much cheaper than an of the shelf product. You could order one from Tiger Toroid or James Transformer.

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts about mains voltage-regulating power conditioners? Are they a good idea if voltage is a bit high for the components?

NZ is supposedly 230V (like UK is also supposed to be) and I am measuring 235 to 244V in my wall outlets at different times. I know that should theoretically be within general tolerances, but; my DAC and Power Amp have just been repaired after failures from suspected over-voltage. (I can't be certain if that is just from these elevated voltages or from another power 'event'). The power amp is only rated for 220V (2004 C/J 350 solid state). The DAC has 220V and 230V written on the back in different places, so not sure about that.

I am a bit nervous about plugging that power amp back in, and am trying to decide on a system-wide voltage regulation/conditioning option, or a more basic isolating transformer designed to step the voltage down, say, 12V just for the boxes that might be more sensitive. It would be a shame to compromise the sound over this though.

It would appear that most conditioners don’t also regulate voltage, but I have read about the Furman SPR-16 E I (being expensive for me, and also requires changing the mains cable loom to suit the different outlet plug types). I have also been looking at AliExpress options like this one, which they may configure to order (T.B.C.).

Mmmm - you certainly have had a wide variety of responses. :(

If you have bought 220v-rated gear (rather than, say 240v) ... then I would suggest you should buy a Power Conditioner such as a Thor (P10, I think). This copes with a varying input mains voltage to produce what you set it to - like 220v. As NZ power is the same as Oz power standards ... it should work 'across the ditch'.

Mmmm - you certainly have had a wide variety of responses. :(

If you have bought 220v-rated gear (rather than, say 240v) ... then I would suggest you should buy a Power Conditioner such as a Thor (P10, I think). This copes with a varying input mains voltage to produce what you set it to - like 220v. As NZ power is the same as Oz power standards ... it should work 'across the ditch'.
What are peoples thoughts about mains voltage-regulating power conditioners? Are they a good idea if voltage is a bit high for the components?

Aus/NZ standard states that mains voltage is 230, with a tolerance of -6% TO +10%, Which equates to 216 to 253 volts, but the prefered variation is +6 to -2% (244 V–225 V). So, your measurements are within tolerance of the supply standard.

Consider a custom isolation transformer. You would have to pop it into a box and add connectors, but it would be a fun and easy project. Much cheaper than an of the shelf product. You could order one from Tiger Toroid or James Transformer.
It hadn't occurred to me that I could build one, but I'll give it some thought.
Thanks andyr. I'll look it up. It might even have the right plugs for me.
Aus/NZ standard states that mains voltage is 230, with a tolerance of -6% TO +10%, Which equates to 216 to 253 volts, but the prefered variation is +6 to -2% (244 V–225 V). So, your measurements are within tolerance of the supply standard.
Rightly or wrongly, I have at least one box that is rated 220V, so 10% takes it to 242V max, which my power has exceeded in a couple of off-peak readings.
That aliexpress link isn't working for me can you say what the model is,
Cheers
I haven't enquired about changing the voltages or AU/NZ plugs yet. Google might find it with these words, but some of the information was in Mandarin: Canada PLITRON 3000W 220V to 220V 100V ,220V to 110V Power Isolation Transformer, Decoder/Amplifier Power Purifier
Get a double online conversion UPS. Set it to 230v.
Thanks. I'll look those up as well after work.

I once had the voltage hit 128 volts here in Canada. I checked out the allowed tolerances and found they were out. One call to the power company later, and they were out working on the transformer.

I once had the voltage hit 128 volts here in Canada. I checked out the allowed tolerances and found they were out. One call to the power company later, and they were out working on the transformer.
I regularly see mine (here in London, Canada) at 124VAC. I don't think it's been higher than that.

Reactions: x21
I regularly see mine (here in London, Canada) at 124VAC. I don't think it's been higher than that.
If it ever goes over 125 they are out of CSA specifications and need to correct it.

EDIT: They are outside of normal operating ranges. 127 is considered extreme operating conditions. Refer to CAN3-235-83

If it ever goes over 125 they are out of CSA specifications and need to correct it.

EDIT: They are outside of normal operating ranges. 127 is considered extreme operating conditions. Refer to CAN3-235-83
It seems that maximum "normal" is 125VAC, and I've never seen it beyond 123.5. I'll monitor it, though.

advertisement

Back