advertisement

Mains Upgrade- Usually FREE in UK.

Roy,

What kind of shower makes the stereo sound better?

Is it a power, gravity or electric mains water?

I may get an improvement by having mixer taps now my boiler is at mains water pressure and delete the electric show spur...

I have mailed you seprately to ask about shower types.

Just to advise - nPower do this upgrade for free - just got them booked in for 2 weeks hence!

Cheers

Rich

Originally posted by mikepassat
The mains fuse is normally in the meter cupboard, mine was black and about the size of a matchbox, with a lead seal on it, the cover was marked 100A.

I actually have two 100A fuses, with a cable from each going to the meter, and another two cables onwards to the consumer unit.

Is this normal? Is it a 200A supply?!

Just curious......

Stephen

p.s. In London btw.

Hi Roy,

I checked my fuse, adjacent to the meter and it is indeed a 100A rating.

However, the cable from the meter cupboard runs into my house, through an adjacent wall, to a high level fuse box which is rated at 60A. The cabling then runs approx. 15m to the consumer unit.

Not pretending to know much about electricity, in general, could you advise me on the need, if required, to upgrade this internal mains fuse?

Many thanks
Brian

"I actually have two 100A fuses, with a cable from each going to the meter, and another two cables onwards to the consumer unit.

Is this normal? Is it a 200A supply?!"

You would appear to have a two phase supply. UK domestic installations can provide only 100A per phase, so yes it is a 200A supply, but also has additonal possibilities for HIFi - Like running your Linn Lingo on one phase and everything else on the other.

You can also combine them to get 400V so careful if you're doing any DIY wiring !

Do you have an incredibly big house or a home workshop or something to get a supply like that ?

No its only 20% faster - you don't actually get any more power by increasing the frequency
Then check out a 400Hz 20A transformer - the kind found in aircraft systems - it's less than a quarter the size of the 50Hz variant.......

Originally posted by colasblue

"I actually have two 100A fuses, with a cable from each going to the meter, and another two cables onwards to the consumer unit.

Is this normal? Is it a 200A supply?!"

You would appear to have a two phase supply. UK domestic installations can provide only 100A per phase, so yes it is a 200A supply, but also has additonal possibilities for HIFi - Like running your Linn Lingo on one phase and everything else on the other.

You can also combine them to get 400V so careful if you're doing any DIY wiring !

Do you have an incredibly big house or a home workshop or something to get a supply like that ?

Do not use both of these phases for hifi, the potential between the two will be 400v+ and lethal.

So what would it take to blow this fuse?
(I assume this is what you need to do to get the housing changed.

Is 100 Amps the maximum?

I have a 10.8 kW shower

electric hob, electric cooker, 3 kw heater, tumble dryer, kettle, 2 wall paper steamers,

That should be ~20 kW excluding the HiFi. Is 20kW enough?

In response to Mr Marsbar - if your equipment is correctly wired there is no problem at all running different items on different phases. Thats exactly what they used to do at the Audio Counsel in Oldham because their supply was so bad.

To Mr Jonnoshore

I wouldn't recommend trying to blow your fuse. It would take a 100% overload for about a minute or a 20% overload for several hours.

It would also render you completely devoid of electricity until the board came to replace it, and you'd probably blow all the fuses in your consumer unit before the fuse actually went.

And there would be a big bang, a lot of smoke and possibly quite a lot of mess.

Much easier to just tell them you want to install a bigger shower, and they'll change it for free. You might get 100A but not everybody can dget that much - it depends on what the local suppy can deliver.

To Mr W - of course higher frequency transformers are smaller. magnetic coupling efficiency is a function of frequency - Faraday's first law E = Grad Phi, higher frequency higher grad I believe. Hence you can get away with fewer turns at high frequencies to get acceptable coupling. How big do you think a 5Hz transformer would need to be ? size of a house perhaps ?? You still don't get any more power ! Of course it tops out because above a certain limit the coupling gets lost in the hysteresis which is why MC transformers have to have mu metal cores rather than Iron.

Why don't we have higher frequency mains then ?? - could it be that the mechanical engineers are uncomfortable with the idea of gigantic turbines running faster than 3000 or 3600 rpm. The 24000 rpm needed for 400Hz is very scary, even small F1 engines can't go faster than about 18000. Of course if you only want a small amount of electricity and synthesise it electronically its a bit different, or if you have a high speed jet turbine to connect to ...

Correct me if i am wrong but a 100amp fuse with 240 volts running through it will require 24kw to blow. Does anyone know if these are fast or slow fuses?

Originally posted by Peter Scowcroft
Correct me if i am wrong but a 100amp fuse with 240 volts running through it will require 2.4kw to blow. Does anyone know if these are fast or slow fuses?

A 100 amp fuse will handle 24 Kw!!! Although, I suppose it's not much if you are running Naim amps;0)

Class A rotel amps. They use 1kw continuously. They seemed a great deal at the price till I saw my £175 month electrcity bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now switched from shitty Npower to scottish electricity, cheaper and renewable energy

Class A rotel amps. They use 1kw continuousl

Don`t class A amps use less power when they are passing signal....you could leave them with volume on max into an 8ohm resistor when not in use?

:)

laurie

FIrstly Roy is right about the 100amp fuse, well worth the effort, Mad as it appears, polishing the fuse contacts and upping the fuse value brings benefits

Tom is quite right here.

I did this and supected at first that the benefits might have been due to simply "contact effects" ie by simply inserting a new fuse I maight have inadvertantly made a better contact

A number of repeats with 60A and 100A showed (me) conclusively that the 100A rated fuse gave definite, repeatable improvements

Laurie

just a thought, the less resistance on the fuse the better...I think will bypass that fuse like i have done on my hifi.

I can't seeany down side of using home modified hifi with no protection all the way down to the main transformer. Hell, what is the worst that could happen?

If you live in the York area and your lights go out you know why!

Peter, are you talking about by passing the main supply fuse? If so the least that will happen is you will be in trouble with the supply company, and the worse that will happen is that you will burn down your house.:eek:

advertisement

Back