advertisement

Mains IEC Connectors, I never realised !!

Residual current contact breaker? (100 A; surely not) Has the RCBO changed its name, Ian?
Residual Current Circuit Breaker. More likely to be the double pole main switch in his Consumer Unit if it’s rated at 100A. This suggests that he’s already on a TT supply as he’s also mentioned he’s out in the sticks. If he is on TT he already has an Earth Electrode and he’s doubled up with his new Electrode so more than likely at the same potential.

Residual current contact breaker? (100 A; surely not) Has the RCBO changed its name, Ian?

No Mike they're different things.
100 amps is the maximum current it's rated for, it's specifically for detecting faults to earth.
RCBO, protect against earth faults and Live Neutral faults.
He's either confused or bonkers.

The RCCB is more commonly known as an RCD and is usually a double pole unit often used as a main switch in a board to provide fault protection (in TT where EFLI is too high for MCBs to operate) or additional protection where required to a number of circuits, but requires circuits to be fitted with MCB’s to provide overcurrent protection. An RCBO is an individual breaker which provides both fault and overcurrent protection

The RCCB is more commonly known as an RCD
Ta! I'm well aware of RCD and MCB + RCBO, being a combo of the two. I've plenty of each. It's just that I'd not come across RCCB (and was guessing what it stood for)
(in TT where EFLI is too high for MCBs to operate)
TT earth? not sure of the correlation with MCBs here.
He's either confused or bonkers.
Have only scanned the posts so not at all sure what his situation/problem is

I've been told of two reg's which can have a bearing on (dedicated) radial circuit installations. They concern having the capability of locally (to the hifi) disconnecting the supply via switch or unplugging. A bit vague but something I'd not come across before.

I'm a bit thick sometimes but are sarcastically referring to captive mains leads which, esp. in cheap stuff, still happens. Captive leads, if substantial enough, have to be theoretically better than a plug and socket (IEC) but those tweakers which like to try different leads would feel cheated.
Some were obviously cheated quite early on, Mike.

Soothing-Sounds-for-Baby-Raymond-Scott.jpg

Saw Raymond Scott ^ play a blinding vinyl set at Glastonbury, we were off our tits on Farleys Rusks and Calpol at the time so it was all a bit of a blur and once the Bonjela came out and rubbed in….well that was us, we ended up crawling around……a dribbling mess but for the foresight of providing bibs and comforters to eventually calm us all down.

I'm a bit thick sometimes but are sarcastically referring to captive mains leads which, esp. in cheap stuff, still happens. Captive leads, if substantial enough, have to be theoretically better than a plug and socket (IEC) but those tweakers which like to try different leads would feel cheated.

I know of people who have cut off captive leads close to a piece of equipment's rear panel and then fitted an inline IEC C14 connector to the tail left, purely so that they can plug a fancy mains lead into it...

Made bugger all difference when replaced with literal kettle leads. Maybe I went deaf during that time. What certainly didn't happen was that my hifi got worse. Funnily enough every component got about 10db better in pretty much every noise and distortion measurement.
I'm not technical like you but even I now understand that a 10db improvement in every noise and distortion measurement = bugger all difference.

You learn something (?) every day.

If you were going from -70db to -80 it's a big deal. That's like crappy turntable with obvious bearing rumble to a pristine new lp12 main bearing.

But it's a log scale, so seeing I went from about -100db to -110db overall I was just going from quite far past being audible to not a cat in hells chance of being audible.

If you were going from -70db to -80 it's a big deal. That's like crappy turntable with obvious bearing rumble to a pristine new lp12 main bearing.

But it's a log scale, so seeing I went from about -100db to -110db overall I was just going from quite far past being audible to not a cat in hells chance of being audible.
Makes sense. 60 dB, normal speaking voice, to 70, clearly audible. 70-80, likewise. But at the extremes, no.

I've been told of two reg's which can have a bearing on (dedicated) radial circuit installations. They concern having the capability of locally (to the hifi) disconnecting the supply via switch or unplugging. A bit vague but something I'd not come across before.

Not true, I have bought these up before and you have obviously chosen to ignore it. Yet you always pop up in and give advice on electrical installations even though you have no knowledge on electrical regulations.

I've been told of two reg's which can have a bearing on (dedicated) radial circuit installations.
Not true, I have..... bought.... these up before and you have obviously chosen to ignore it. Yet you always pop up in and give advice on electrical installations even though you have no knowledge on electrical regulations.
One: I'm not giving advice. Two: It's brought, not bought (buy/bought; bring/brought). Three: You are correct, I don't have knowledge of electrical reg's as I'm not an electrician. Four: Which is why I've mentioned sth relevant that I'd just been told. Five: The 2 reg's are: 537-04-01 and 537-04-04, which cover the same ground. You would know of these, of course, and I've no evidence or intuition that this info. is incorrect, as you say it is.

As I'm happy to learn, if you refute the validity of these reg's as you appear to do, I'll be happy to be corrected.

Funny that those buying multi hundred pound power cables don’t talk much about the 60p worth of cable sitting inside the component wired to the IEC socket…

Absolutely. Modern audio components like DACs and amplifiers use PCBs which are designed for short runs between devices, but if you look at some of the old point to point amplifiers like a Leak Stereo 20 there's a lot of cheap wire inside. Could easily be much longer hookup wire than your mains cable.

advertisement

Back