advertisement

Mains IEC Connectors, I never realised !!

I wish @Robert still had his photos up of his makeshift hi-fi mains lead running off the pants press down the hall, via an electric drill on full tilt along the way, plus a few other odds and sods (toaster? microwave oven? drinks blender?). Think he did a couple of with/without recordings. This, from back before the internet police (i.e. Google ads) decided that they should be the ultimate arbitrator when it comes to who's IP should be allowed to be shared online.

Robert used to rant vociferously that all amps sound the same. Probably best that some of his posts no longer exist!

Gosh! A thread about IEC plugs turns into a no-holds-barred mains installation fracas. Although I've scanned posts, I'm still not sure what all the fuss is about. Ho hum.....! On another mains oriented thread I got some useful knowledge about the reg's covering safety precautions adjacent or within reach of appliances (or in this case, hifi kit).

Meanwhile, must look for my hard hat in case Gav's prediction above holds water. ;)

@thommy. You really do need to listen to the people here who do actually know what they're talking about. It seems as if you don't. Seriously, don't muck about with stuff that you think you know about, when really you don't have a complete understanding. I would suggest that you have a properly qualified electrician visit your home to determine the safety, or otherwise, of your installation along with to what extent it complies with current regulations.

I’ve searched the font of knowledge that is YouTube for a simple example and found the following with nice pictures

and another explanation below

If changing IECs makes that much difference, imagine how much better again it would be if someone did something totally crazy, such as running a 13A cable *in a single run through a hole in the back of the case* via a suitable cable clamp/gland arrangement and connected that directly to the power supply transformer via soldered joints. I know, it couldn't happen, but imagine the purity of signal if electricity could flow in one pair of wires directly from the wall socket to the transformer. Wow.

...such as running a 13A cable *in a single run through a hole in the back of the case* via a suitable cable clamp/gland arrangement and connected that directly to the power supply transformer via soldered joints.

I'm a bit thick sometimes but are sarcastically referring to captive mains leads which, esp. in cheap stuff, still happens. Captive leads, if substantial enough, have to be theoretically better than a plug and socket (IEC) but those tweakers which like to try different leads would feel cheated.

Another thread that highlights why any discussion of altering or messing with mains electricity should be banned in the AUP.
Depends upon what you call 'messing about'. I see no problem in discussing the merits and demerits of ways of getting leccy to one's kit, assuming it's safe, and there are many different ways which people employ to do this, though they all fall into the two categories of radial or ring circuits apart from batteries.

I'm a bit thick sometimes but are sarcastically referring to captive mains leads which, esp. in cheap stuff, still happens. Captive leads, if substantial enough, have to be theoretically better than a plug and socket (IEC) but those tweakers which like to try different leads would feel cheated.
I am of course referring to the fact that a captive lead of the right gauge is a better electrical solution than any plug and socket arrangement. The only reason for using a plug and socket (eg IEC - International Electrical Connector, there's a clue in the name) is to be able to sell the same equipment across different markets and just toss in a different flavour of kettle lead once you know where that batch is going.

The only reason for using a plug and socket (eg IEC - International Electrical Connector, there's a clue in the name)
Remember when the equipment used to come with a fixed power cable with bare wire ends, fit the plug yourself.
This is not allowed these days.

Changing mains cables comes below everything else in my system except for closing the curtains. I once made up a high-tech mains cable from braided thick silver coated copper in teflon outer and couldn't hear any difference. Anything like swapping capacitors and tubes or even interconnects comes way ahead of mains cables in terms of audible difference.

Cables dont need to be protected but theres a 100A RCCB in the box the cable connects to in case one of the transformers has a meltdown.

You should, then be aware that an RCCB doesn't provide protection against over current ie. A live to neutral fault. So in the case of a short within one of your transformers Boom the transformer and cable will likely be vaporised. Cables do need to be protected, always.

Remember when the equipment used to come with a fixed power cable with bare wire ends, fit the plug yourself.
This is not allowed these days.
I do. I remember when I was a student there was an American girl who came over and bought a kettle or a coffee machine or some such. She got home and sat in the common room we had, opened the box and said "What the hell?" I looked across and said "Oh, did you buy a plug for it too?" "No of course I didn't buy a goddam plug, don't they come with them? What kind of country sells a kettle that you have to finish off manufacturing?" She did have a point. I was able to find a stray lamp or something and steal the plug and a 13A fuse, and then she had a lesson in how to wire a UK plug. Which of course everybody over about 14 knew back then, unless they had just arrived from a foreign country with a different plug arrangement.

As far as boutique mains cables go, there was a chap on here selling something as thick as a hosepipe and offering free samples. No ties, just free samples. Go on then, I said, I'll try one. Do you want it back if I don't like it? No he didn't. So it arrived and I used it, it made no difference whatsoever beyong being enormously heavy, so I chucked it in a corner. A couple of years later i got around to selling it, I sold it on here within an hour for a decent sum of money. A CD player, working, for less than half as much and delivered with its own IEC cable, didn't sell. I just don't understand hifi types at all.

advertisement

Back