advertisement

Mains DC Filtering

I have a pair of the ATL units not being used which you are welcome to try if you are happy to cover postage. They have IEC connections in and out and the UK price paid a couple of years ago was £164.

That is tempting. :) Can you point me at some more info on them? It would be ideal to be able to try and then return. I'd be happy to pay for the postage both ways. A snag is that we are currently 'shielding' so have a volunteer get our shopping and post letters. But it may be a bit unfair to then ask them to take a parcel to the PO for returning the units. How big/heavy might they be? If I can't ask the volunteer any return might be delayed.

IEC should be fine as the ESLs have them, so I could presumable put the blockers in circuit between the speaker(s) and the existing cables?

Thanks

That is tempting. :) Can you point me at some more info on them? It would be ideal to be able to try and then return. I'd be happy to pay for the postage both ways. A snag is that we are currently 'shielding' so have a volunteer get our shopping and post letters. But it may be a bit unfair to then ask them to take a parcel to the PO for returning the units. How big/heavy might they be? If I can't ask the volunteer any return might be delayed.

IEC should be fine as the ESLs have them, so I could presumable put the blockers in circuit between the speaker(s) and the existing cables?

Thanks

They are these: ATL
But pretty sure they are version 2 rather than 3.
Just under 1kg each and pretty compact. I used two short IEC to IEC cables to just put them inline with the mains cables without the need for another fused mains plug (can send them as well). No particular hurry, in fact I need to find them first.

ATL v.2 for @Jim Audiomisc and anyone else who is curious.

IMGP5847.jpg

On possible snag with this is that at present I connect the ESL(s) with a lead having a standard UK Mains 3-pin plug on one end and a 'female' IEC on the other. The units I've seen seem to have male/female sockets, so I'd presumably need an adaptor lead or different connections on the ATL? Not sure if I have any IEC extension cables.

Wondering if I should email ATL and ask if they could loan me one to try and then report on - and buy if it does the job for me..

My parents had an old Bush gramophone and a box full of records which they never listened to. When I was about 3 or 4 I discovered how to put a record on and one of those records was the William Tell overture. I used to charge up and down the living room to it. I think that laid the foundations for teenage years listening to punk rock, thrash etc.

A few months ago the esteemed spraggons den sent me a rather lovely audioquest niagara 1200 .not had time to plug it in till today

many months ago i researched them and audioscience forum seemed to suggest measurements made no difference if i recall so i abandoned the idea

I have zero hum issues and the system sounds excellent however i have to say immediately i could hear an improvement in a sense of realism and texture of instruments .not huge but enough to keep it in the system for sure !!

well watched this interesting video today .. i have had many DC blockers in my system at various times . sometimes they are good sometimes not . occassionally they harden the sound but sometimes they really improve the musicality

interesting what this puritan 156 did to dac performance but reading this comment from houself is interesting

I used my Luxman Class A amp (L550AXII) with the Puritan mains block I had and it did not enhance the sound at all. I really prefer the Luxman plugged straight into the wall.

Not tried a Class A/B amp with it.

As for digital components the improvements were very apparent.

Thanks but I'm not after a DIY solution.

EDIT: apologies, have just found the 'ready built' option.
I would strongly recommend this option. Most commercial designs (I think all the ones I have looked at) are much smaller designs and such just didn’t quite my Nap135 transfotmers. However, this solution worked extremely well.

I have been trying a couple of new amplifiers this past week or so.

An Avondale NCC300 and a Hegel H390.

Both show audible transformer hum.

Hegel suggest using a mains DC filter if this can't be eliminated through re-jigging equipment arrangements (it can't).

Can anyone recommend me a DC mains filter to investigate? I've aware of the MCRU 'Excelium' and 'Excelsior' offerings (I have just bought a #79 mains power extension hub and #75 mains power lead from them).

What else should I be looking at without spending £££?

Thanks.
try amps that doesn't hum

advertisement

Back