advertisement

Mains cable

I've been quoted five times in a row, and corrected in each post. Isn't that a record?
I wasn't suggesting the OP to use it, only trying to identify it. So far I haven't burned any house down BTW, but thanks for the caveats.
:)

Sorry about the delay in getting back. Spoke to a guy in MCRU (not bought from there) who, along with a couple of others, told me that he'd seen the cable in question and that the cable was within UK specs and also that, another , different cable. which I was interested in, was within UK specs. Said they would not be stocking it, if it was dodgy cable. I trust MCRU, having bought a number of items from them in the past. Let y'all know if my stuff blows up. PS-it's NOT solid core but multi strand.:cool:

Sorry about the delay in getting back. Spoke to a guy in MCRU (not bought from there) who, along with a couple of others, told me that he'd seen the cable in question and that the cable was within UK specs and also that, another , different cable. which I was interested in, was within UK specs. Said they would not be stocking it, if it was dodgy cable. I trust MCRU, having bought a number of items from them in the past. Let y'all know if my stuff blows up. PS-it's NOT solid core but multi strand.:cool:
I think the point here is that due to the individual conductor insulation not being coloured brown, blue, and green with yellow stripe, these cannot be considered to be within BS7671 regulations*, no matter the possibility (likelihood) of the copper wire itself being the exact same thing as what one might find down at B&Q as 3-wire mains flex.

If it is indeed labelled "MPS F-210 99.9999% OFC (HE LOU) Video / Audio Power Cable Made in Taiwan www.mps96.com" or "MPS F-270 99.9999% OFC (HE LOU) Video / Audio Power Cable Made in Taiwan www.mps96.com" then using this, even within a home DIY installation (i.e. none-notifiable work) puts one in legal jeopardy wrt insurance coverage. Best to have a read of the following electrical wiring regs summary from RS.

* nor within any prior regulations.

So what do people do who buy equipment from overseas and use a step up/down transformer? In that case you’d likely be using the original cable/plug (e.g. schuko, Americas, Japan) between the transformer and the equipment. Or do people build new cables using ‘local’ wire colors and foreign plugs just to stay within the law?

FWIW if the cable causes a fire at least it’ll probably be burnt and nobody will be able to tell the colors were wrong. :rolleyes:

I'm with Tony on this, I think. Maybe I'm wrong, but... Using non-standard colours for a mains cable in the UK may lead (pun alert!) you intro trouble if there is a fault. Problems with insurance and also liability. Note also that red can be problematic for some colour-blind people. I don't know the current (pun again!) regs, but suspect it isn't meant for the UK. Indeed, I wonder what Trading Standards would make of someone retailing it.

I'm with Tony on this, I think. Maybe I'm wrong, but... Using non-standard colours for a mains cable in the UK may lead (pun alert!) you intro trouble if there is a fault. Problems with insurance and also liability. Note also that red can be problematic for some colour-blind people. I don't know the current (pun again!) regs, but suspect it isn't meant for the UK. Indeed, I wonder what Trading Standards would make of someone retailing it.
I couldn't find a country that combines those 3 insulation colours as part of their electrical regs, Jim, including Taiwan where this is supposedly made.

USA, Canada, Australia ? :cool:
As someone pointed out earlier, USA/Canada use black, white, green in power cables. There is only red in a power cable if it’s a 240v appliance (red, black, white, and sometimes green), like a clothes dryer or electric range.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As someone pointed out earlier, USA/Canada use black, white, green in power cables. There is only red in a power cable if it’s a 240v appliance (red, black, white, and sometimes green), like a clothes dryer or electric range.
Would that make it technically ok to use in Britain as it's colour coded for 240v?
Do mains cables have an approval mark?

Would that make it technically ok to use in Britain as it's colour coded for 240v?
Do mains cables have an approval mark?
I could be totally wrong, but 240V in the US is made by having two 120V phases (180 degrees out of phase). In Europe it's one 240V phase. So that means in the US that both the red and black wire are 'hot'.

I could be totally wrong, but 240V in the US is made by having two 120V phases (180 degrees out of phase). In Europe it's one 240V phase. So that means in the US that both the red and black wire are 'hot'.
Yes, the secondary coil of any residential neighbourhood step-down transformer delivers 240VAC but with a centre neutral tap, therefore each household receives 2 x 120V phases plus neutral. Typical 240VAC circuits within the home are fed via 2 x breakers that connect both phases via 2 x hot plus 1 x neutral (plus ground). DIY'ers tend to learn about this when installing their first new electric cooker or clothes dryer.

advertisement

Back